The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Here's one of the songs recorded with that mic placement - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. This one was played with the guitar (Dell'Arte dreadnaught) tuned down a step.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_10862984

She hasn't uploaded the other song yet (The Christmas Song). That one was played with the guitar in standard tuning and I seem to recall I liked the tone a bit better on that one. If/when she adds that to her ReverbNation page, I'll post it here.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Sounds good! Lovely playing and a lovely voice
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 AM

nice job.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Here's one of the songs recorded with that mic placement - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. This one was played with the guitar (Dell'Arte dreadnaught) tuned down a step.

She hasn't uploaded the other song yet (The Christmas Song). That one was played with the guitar in standard tuning and I seem to recall I liked the tone a bit better on that one. If/when she adds that to her ReverbNation page, I'll post it here.
Wow what a great sound (and voice).

Good arrangement - did you design that? Wonderful use of Dropped D (I assumed that).

More more bravo bravo!! Look forward to more recordings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Good arrangement - did you design that? Wonderful use of Dropped D (I assumed that).
Thanks!

Yeah, I arranged that one. It was a bit tricky getting it arranged and playing it without much prep time (1 day notice).
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I arranged that one. It was a bit tricky getting it arranged and playing it without much prep time (1 day notice).

Nice stuff sir!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Bravo!! Beautifully conceived and played.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 AM

you are right! this sound is just amazing, but it is nothing compared with your tasteful arrangement and playing. thank you so much for sharing!

and i agree, this off-axis mic setting would only sound good with the proper mics and a amazing recording room
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

This is the sole reason I come here to this forum. That is to say to look for something (anything) inspirational, musical, moving. Something that compels me, fuels idea's and motivates me in my playing acoustic.

A delightful break from the endless discussions about the clarity of "hog" and the complexity of the overtones of rosewood. This in truth is where all that "rubber" meets the road. The playing and the singing, the dynamics, chord choices, note choice and presentation is just plain great. Great, great, great.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful job. Really nice guitar arrangement and the vocalist sounds stunning, The guitar sound is very natural and open, with an intimate feel that works perfectly with the tune. Excellent!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks so much for all the kind words guys. Much appreciated.

I did find part of the second song I played on. It is song #5 (The Christmas Song) on the link below. You don't hear the entire song - just part of it (unless you buy it).

I like the tone of the guitar better on this second song. The guitar is tuned to standard pitch and it just sounds woodier, if that's a word. Seems like they put less reverb on it, or EQ'd it differently. I'll see the engineer again in a week or two and ask what they did for this tone.

http://www.christmaswitherica.com/

Last edited by 815C; 11-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 AM

We all look forward to hearing how they did the EQ and effects.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 AM

Such wonderful music (guitar and singing both)!

I am always so impressed, and humbled, by how much talent there is among the members of this forum.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph hanna View Post
this is the sole reason i come here to this forum. That is to say to look for something (anything) inspirational, musical, moving. Something that compels me, fuels idea's and motivates me in my playing acoustic.

A delightful break from the endless discussions about the clarity of "hog" and the complexity of the overtones of rosewood. This in truth is where all that "rubber" meets the road. The playing and the singing, the dynamics, chord choices, note choice and presentation is just plain great. Great, great, great.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I just noticed this - that this was all pulled together in one day. I'm even more impressed.

I'm a lot faster than I was i the past at arranging and learning to play a new piece (and getting it to performance level of playing), but I'm certainly not at the level of being able to pull something like this off in one day.

(I also like the fact that this was done on a dreadnaught - a guitar style that I tend to like for fingerstyle but many people say is no good for fingerstyle!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD