The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2020, 07:19 PM

Default Setup/Strings question after returning from long hiatus

I've been playing about 40 years. Took two years off after my sister died, and upon resuming my left hand strength seemed slow coming back, so I ordered lighter strings. I'd been playing Plectrum 12s and ordered Plectrum 11s. Guitar is an Eastman J-45 copy, short scale. My playing is almost exclusively chordal accompaniment for singing.

By the time the strings arrived, I realized my strength was back--the original 12s were easy to play. I strung the low "E" from the 11 set and noticed it was buzzing slightly starting around the 7th fret. Then I noticed that the strings from the 12 set were also buzzing slightly in that area and likely always had been. I also realized that the low action was inhibiting good travel of the strings--that is, they're so close to the board that I can't dig in w/my right hand as much as I might like on more aggressive songs.

So I'm at a crossroads for string gauge and setup. I liked the idea of lighter strings for ease of playing (and having less wound strings on the lighter set), but I'll definitely need to make adjustments if I go lighter.

Regarding setup, does this sound like an issue of needing to raise the saddle, or adjusting the truss rod, or both? I don't have much guitar setup experience, but Covid and new financial realities have me motivated to do more of my own setup work. I'm living in an RV w/no setup tools currently, but can afford to order some inexpensive ones.

I'd appreciate advice on where to start. I figured I could also potentially leave the setup as it is and switch to 13s, and get a little more tension on the neck that way. But I already have $25 sunk into the 11s and like I said, I like the idea of lighter tension and less wound strings.

I could also play lighter--I won't be busking anytime soon in today's world and don't need a ton of acoustic volume. Mostly I'll be recording videos trying to build a youtube presence and Patreon subscribers.

So I'd like advice on what string gauge you recommend for my goals, and then what setup adjustments I should make.

Thanks!

Last edited by kittyboy; 05-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion