The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I think many of us here at the AGF are at that point in our lives, or may soon be, when we see or may soon be seeing “the light at the end of the tunnel” and have decided “Man I GOTTA start getting rid of some of this stuff.” �� Which reminds me of George Carlin’s famous rant about “stuff.” You can probably pull it up on You Tube I would think. Freaking hilarious....and so true!
I have not gotten to the point where I want to divest myself of most of my stuff. I don't consider it a burden; it's a comfort to me and to my wife, too.

I understand that if I were gone my kids would have to sort through this stuff and take much of it to the dump, probably give some of it away. and I understand that they would want almost nothing from our house. But I think my wife and I have another 10-15 years before we have to do something. Right now I am in no hurry.

My wife and I went through this after her mother passed away. The truth is, it wasn't that big of a burden to clear through her stuff. It took a few weeks.

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 AM

I have 90+ on Kindle for Android, so space is not an issue!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 AM

no way, I have over 30 books just for guitar & most of them are out of print and no longer available.

Then comes my Tolkien book collection
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Just because somebody says it?

I keep stuff I like, I throw away or sell stuff I no longer like.

I don't need a consultant.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Murphy Slaw; 01-17-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Other than lack of guitars, my idea of ideal home décor:

Edna St. Vincent Millay demonstrates...

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Books are some of the best acoustic diffusers for playing and listening to music "nuff said"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM

No I could not survive with only 30 books.
A fist full of picks
Two capos
And an amp I'm fairly impressed with.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
My wife and I are moving this year for the first time in 21 years. It is amazing the amount of unadulterated clutter (including literally hundreds of books) that one can accumulate in that much time!

We are downsizing from a 2700+ square foot behemoth to a more reasonable 1600 square foot retirement home. We are going to do some serious weeding out!
You're not leaving our beautiful neck of the woods are you?

I could easily divest myself of over 60% of my books, but down to 30? Not a chance. One of my favorite pastimes is scrolling through alibris and looking up books I would like to have first edition copies of or just books that are out-of-print in general. My wife is an editor, and I know how much work goes into the printing of those little gems. It's like saying you should cull your collection under 30 guitars.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
My wife and I are moving this year for the first time in 21 years. It is amazing the amount of unadulterated clutter (including literally hundreds of books) that one can accumulate in that much time!

We are downsizing from a 2700+ square foot behemoth to a more reasonable 1600 square foot retirement home. We are going to do some serious weeding out!
It's interesting, we currently have 1600 square feet and want to downsize so 2700 ft2 seems enormous! I suppose it's all what you are used to.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Yes. My kids and grandkids live in the north Austin area. We have found a neighborhood being built in Temple and are going to have a house built in which to retire!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have not gotten to the point where I want to divest myself of most of my stuff. I don't consider it a burden; it's a comfort to me and to my wife, too.
I definitely understand this. I've felt this way too. Everyone is different and there's no "right and wrong" to the issue.

When I had lots of things, I enjoyed feeling surrounded by them...nice things to look at, a plethora of books to read, albums to spin, movies to watch, hobby equipment and collections.

It is familiar and comfortable/comforting.

My best friend grew up with nothing. Poor as dirt. To this day he works on his own cars and mechanical equipment, builds a lot of his own furniture and house additions and so on.

He has SO much stuff--instruments of all kinds, art, books, music, movies...he engages seriously in several hobbies...has just an enormous amount of possessions. But he and his wife really enjoy it. Their house is full but well laid out. Looks almost like a museum or a very well organized antique shop or flea market.

He told me once he can never get bored and has so many things to turn to without ever leaving his house. I totally get that.

Plus, it's nice for him that after growing up with nothing and having very little even into his early 30s he can now purchase and enjoy most anything he wants.

Quote:
I really like Nacogdoches. In fact, it's where my friend I mentioned above lives. Very interesting place with a unique history.

Quote:
Yes. My kids and grandkids live in the north Austin area. We have found a neighborhood being built in Temple and are going to have a house built in which to retire!
I was born in Austin and have also lived in other regions of Texas. I've spent most of my life in other states and haven't lived in Texas for many years, but I'll always consider myself a Texas boy.

Temple is very nice. My father lived in Marble Falls for a while after he retired.

I also love New Braunfels and San Antonio. But East Texas has some wonderful towns too.

Good luck on your move. It will be nice for you to be closer to your kids and grandkids!

- John Shedd
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM

http://dailysentinel.com/image_1f9f7...d335a7463.html

My mom donating her $200K+ collection of genealogical, rare first editions, and Texana collection to the local university Stephen F. Austin State University back in February of 2018.

My wife and I have close to 2,000 books and we are rank amateurs compared to the real collectors! I don't know about 30 but we are going to have to get rid of most of what we have when we move.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow. I met your mom one time in passing, but she has left an indelible impact on the local history of our town. My wife is the new Development Manager at City Hall, and I just helped set up her bookshelves where she has proudly displayed at least six volumes of genealogical records and Nacogdoches history that your mother compiled. What a treasure her life’s work is.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Wow. I met your mom one time in passing, but she has left an indelible impact on the local history of our town. My wife is the new Development Manager at City Hall, and I just helped set up her bookshelves where she has proudly displayed at least six volumes of genealogical records and Nacogdoches history that your mother compiled. What a treasure her life’s work is.
She finished writing/compiling her 110th book just months before she passed away. Thank you for your kind words. She loved Nacogdoches dearly.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM

I read booth E-books and traditional (as one stated "dead trees lol" I could do with just 30 as I tend to go back years later and thumb through a book that I probably have already read a few times before. Speaking of the dead tree kind, of course.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic