The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Here's more - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMNlMghwCsQ

I remember buying this DVD and hearing that. I was wincing the entire way through.

Here's Yngwie in his prime (IMO) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3ec2cCaJw
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM

no doubt he has inspired many young guitar players to pick up a guitar. That is likely why companies like Fender, for example have endorsed him for many years.
Also, his ability to move to the classical realm with world class symphonies while he plays his electric or classical guitar really shows he has no boundries.
(Imo) it is just the listening audience that sometimes prefers to listen to music which reflects their own playing ability.
And personally I think adding clips like this to the forum, enhances and embraces yet one more musical style which can also improve ones acoustic technique. Just watch his right hand movement for example.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

It sounded like shredding on a classical guitar to me.
I am a fan of Yngwie's guitar playing......I have been familiar with him since I first heard his "Alcatraz" playing. I agree with Fazool, above, however.....Yngwie was basically shredding on a nylon-string guitar, and it is pretty obvious to me that the nylon-string is not where Yngwie really shines.

I would not have expected Andreas Segovia to have felt at home on a Gibson Les Paul, either.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 AM

This was -- in my opinion -- an even more awkward fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZrblh2r3w

Great talent is present, both in terms of Yngwie's playing ability as well as the orchestra backing him.....but man, I would not want to have to listen to that on the drive home......some things just do not seem to work that well together.....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM

When you put a title on a post that say's "for those who think he is just shred", what do you expect, he's still shredding, just on a crappy sounding nylon string guitar, then goes right back to his typical shredding on his electric. If you like that great, but don't try anybody's opinion that already dislikes his shredding approach I've seen him as opener twice, and IMNSHO he was totally redundant in about 10 minutes each time, and the headliners made people forget about him in the same amount of time.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Nowhere in there did you use the word "music".

I agree Yngwie Malmsteem (and Steve Vai and countless others) are technical masters. They can move their fingers over the fretboard with astonishing speed and accuracy. But, I never get a sense of "musicality" from them.
No offence but it doesn't seem you have listened to those people a whole lot to me, they have musicality by the bucketload. It's in a different style that's all. Should we badmouth blues because it's the same pentatonic licks and riffs over the same boring chord sequences? Or jazz because it's just endless noodling around exotic chords without any catchy hooks? I think you see were I'm going with this, one mans poop is anothers gold.

As for Yngwie he is an amazing musician (apart from his horrible acoustic tone) and has done lots of quality music. His expression on the electric is unique and I've never heard anyone imitate him convincingly, and there's been plenty of takers. His vibrato is god-like.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM

I like Yngwie. Hell, I even went to see him back in the day - he was great fun live and he can shred with better precision than anyone with the exception of Paul Gilbert (who is far more interesting musically, but...).

But, he plays nylon guitar just like he plays his strat. Sure, he has the "piezo quack" but so do loads who play live, especially in big halls. The point here is that he's not playing great nylon guitar. Sure, it's waaaaaaay better than I can do but it doesn't stand up with the best out there. And why should it? He's an electric player.

I would much rather hear him shred it up with a 100 watt Marshall. I do find I can only take him in small doses though. He does tend to empty his wad 30s into the first solo, and leave nothing for later. He could learn a lot from Dave Gilmour.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM

I'm not interested in metal, nor am I a particular fan of Yngwie, but I've always thought there is a lot more to him than the big hair, spandex and phrygian twiddling for which he is famous. Dunno, maybe the critics are missing the wood for the trees. I feel the same way about a couple of other famous performers - there was a lot more to them than what they did to earn a $.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Paganini received similar criticism in the early 1800s. he was, of course, a celebrated violin virtuoso, but he also received more than a little criticism for his tone and for his over-the-top, borderline bombastic, performances that focused on technical skill at the expense of musicality.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Paganini received similar criticism in the early 1800s. he was, of course, a celebrated violin virtuoso, but he also received more than a little criticism for his tone and for his over-the-top, borderline bombastic, performances that focused on technical skill at the expense of musicality.
Yep yep. Hey brothers, I know what you are saying about his listenability, especially for us folks who feel a kinship to wooden acoustic. A friend, impressed with him after a single song, bought his album on ITunes, then put his headphones on and went to the gym. He tore off the headphones after 2 songs!

To me, Yngwie shows what is possible. Do I put him on and listen? No. But then the only stuff I listen to is Jools Holland show, where he showcases new talent.

Satriani, Vai and Malmsteem show us what is possible. I have been working on Surfin with the Alien for a few weeks now and I tell you, my playing has improved markedly. Having to shred with musicality at 150 BPM means that when you do Purple Haze at 120, that your fingers are like lightning. Learning from Malmsteem, Vai or Satch, is like training for Olympics at 10,000 feet. When you get back to sea level, your chops are happening.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM

I never saw the fascination towards the man.

I could see that he can play very fast. And what he does he does well.

i think it is important to be able to play fast at times.

i do not think one should lean on it their entire career. That is my opinion.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Yeh I agree he could play with a tad more variation in his tempo

But dude, check it out. Paganini on guitar? Srsly, that is the shizzle.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I wouldn't say he can't play, I just don't want to listen to it.
+1 I'd have to wholeheartedly concur with this statement.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM

I admire YM's work (in small doses); in fact, I own a scalloped-fretboard Tele copy, due to him. However, the flatpicked nylon sound in that video is plain awful. Don't know if its technique, the sound chain, or both.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM

If you listen the video, which I doubt many of you have, from the comments, you will see that he starts with chordal melody, quietly played. After a few minutes, he goes to a moderate, not fast speed, reiterating the melody this time with picking. He then proceeds to the electric, where he does not shred, but plays a soul stirring lead. Did any of you actually listen to his melody in the lead phrasing. It is slow, deliberate and not done fast. He then finishes the performance with a crescendo, in which his picking speed and accuracy shows expression.

If you do not call that final electric passage melodic, then I presume you are too busy bashing him to actually talk about the subject. You tear into his acoustic work without having even listened to it. In some cases, you read his name and formed a fixed, intractable opinion, shutting out any possibility of conversation with condescension to him, and indirectly to me,, in that if I post such a thing, I too, must be daft. Doesn't bother me, but this absolute slamming of a musician's entire life work strikes me as unjustified and argumentative for its own sake.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write