The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Safety tip of the day. Always have a back up sawdust mask!

All of the back braces are shaped and in. the inner strip (Name escapes me) is in. The blueprints do not show the inner strip of wood but I figured it should be. So, I made the strip out of scrap from the topwood. I drew in all of the braces for the top on the top. I am almost done sanding the design on the face of the topwood. MY HANDS HURT. Little balled up pieces of 100, 150 grit paper. I will smooth to 400 after I get out all of the little divots and trenches. I have to have 5 hours more in and likely 5 to go to make it right.
My first build took a year. I am shooting for 3 months on this one. Without the massive R&D its going quicker..
Welp off to go play in the woods with the kids!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Dammit, John. I've fallen behind!

Serves me right for going on a vacation I never even wanted to go on. How much tinkering did that brace of mine need? I have GOT to see that rosette up-close. That is VERY stylish. You're turning into an artist on us!

BTW, I think I might want to give it a whirl myself sometime soon. I didn't get to bring a guitar with me on vacation so I daydreamed about what I'd want to build instead.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
BTW, I think I might want to give it a whirl myself sometime soon.
Well, it's about bloody time, Neil! The offer and opportunity are there; snag it and build away. I'd only advise against using John's backup sawdust mask.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM

OK John, I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do with that rosette. I really like how you're making the spruce "background" all wavy but what's with that artwork that you traced? Is it going to be inlaid somehow? If so, what's gonna be the sound "hole" per se? I'm sensing that this guitar is going to have a soundport or two on the side. Either way, I like how the artwork contrasts on the pale Adi top. I have SO got to see this with my own eyes though. You know how I'm a sucker for artsy things like this!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hey, just popping in for a shower and clothing exchange from a 4 part kid camping trip. Its nice to sit in a real chair!
The frame will be glued in, the butterfly will be in with magnets. But, likely will have a sound port also. Back to the tent.......
Neil, we will get you up and running. See if G.A.L has a mini Jumbo blueprint. We'll have to make a mold and form. Cedar top? I am pretty sure I have one but go over to OLF (Official Luthier Forum ) and follow thier links to suppliers to at least look at wood.
I'll be back tomorrow if I don't get eaten by a mad cow!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM

^ KEWL!!! Can I start my own build thread?

I've been looking on LMI for the wood but they didn't have pics. I was also on stewmac.com looking over the OLF medium jumbo plans and I like the shape of it. The lower bout is 16.25"; slightly bigger than a dread but with a slim waist and a nice pair of shoulders. I was expecting that we'd have to build the mold, just like you did with the 00. At the very worst I was expecting you to say "no" and we'd just use the OM mold you have already - then maybe add an inch or so to sides to make it deeper, essentially turning it Grand OM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I'M alive!!!! 4 days of camping with the kids . 1 kido at a time for overnighters and mom stayed home. Of course it was pouring down rain as we broke camp. Last night my oldest and I sat around the camp fire and played Greenday on 2 Grestch Americana's.
Yep, you gotta start your own thread.
Check with Blues Creek for wood. John (the owner) has all you need and shipping will be a lot cheaper than LMI. BUT! You gotta get the LMI catalog. It lists tons of woods with photo's, sonic properties and difficulty levels. When I was at Blues Creek 2 weeks ago he had a stack of LMI catalogs for the open house. Maybe he still has some.
I said I would give you a set of "Martin 15" Mahogany. If you want fancier, Blues Creek probably. Cedar top, if I have it I'd like to have it replaced if you use it but no hurry. You are welcome to one of the Martin necks. We got plenty to keep you busy for the first year or so. Next time you are over I will send you home with the Alex Willis (?) Guitar building book. It will give you some "flow" idea.
Using the OM molds I have will save you about $60 in wood and 3 trips.
I know you said you are over the Dred thing, just to plant a seed, I have very detailed blueprints for a Gibson Advance Jumbo.....

I can't get you started till the end of next week though. I am inlaying Walnut strips in the Chestnut kitchen floor and finishing the walls and floors while the family is away to G-ma's.
Make sure you do your chores so you are allowed to come over and play.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
I'M alive!!!! 4 days of camping with the kids . 1 kido at a time for overnighters and mom stayed home. Of course it was pouring down rain as we broke camp. Last night my oldest and I sat around the camp fire and played Greenday on 2 Grestch Americana's.
Yep, you gotta start your own thread.
Check with Blues Creek for wood. John (the owner) has all you need and shipping will be a lot cheaper than LMI. BUT! You gotta get the LMI catalog. It lists tons of woods with photo's, sonic properties and difficulty levels. When I was at Blues Creek 2 weeks ago he had a stack of LMI catalogs for the open house. Maybe he still has some.
I said I would give you a set of "Martin 15" Mahogany. If you want fancier, Blues Creek probably. Cedar top, if I have it I'd like to have it replaced if you use it but no hurry. You are welcome to one of the Martin necks. We got plenty to keep you busy for the first year or so. Next time you are over I will send you home with the Alex Willis (?) Guitar building book. It will give you some "flow" idea.
Using the OM molds I have will save you about $60 in wood and 3 trips.
I know you said you are over the Dred thing, just to plant a seed, I have very detailed blueprints for a Gibson Advance Jumbo.....

I can't get you started till the end of next week though. I am inlaying Walnut strips in the Chestnut kitchen floor and finishing the walls and floors while the family is away to G-ma's.
Make sure you do your chores so you are allowed to come over and play.
It's cool that you can bond with your kids. I can relate to how you have to do it one at a time. Care to take one of mine? You won't have any problem being pestered by wild animals (since they tend to leave other wild animals alone) but if you let 'em get skunked ya gotta keep 'em.

I'll be sure to start another thread. In the meantime how's the build going along up to this point? Are the proper parts radi'ied? Is the box ready to be closed. Did you burn that brace I did? I'm curious to see if it could be saved.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:42 PM

YJ, I took a 2nd look at the back and side set you're using. Holy Moly that's gonna look sooooooooo good. The butterfly sure is an artistic touch, it'll rock folks out.
Was really looking forward to that Locust being made into a neck. Are you thinking of maybe doing that in the future?
Great work.
Bob
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
YJ, I took a 2nd look at the back and side set you're using. Holy Moly that's gonna look sooooooooo good. The butterfly sure is an artistic touch, it'll rock folks out.
Was really looking forward to that Locust being made into a neck. Are you thinking of maybe doing that in the future?
Great work.
Bob
I dump 2 gallons of water every other day out of my dehumidifier keeping my shop at 39%. The 100 year old Locust posts are under the bench for a few years, then yep I will use them. Thanks on the butterfly. The digs are tough to get out but the result looks so cool when its done right. I am having fun, finger pain and all.
The back and side set were saved from a burn pile!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Just read through this post from the beginning. I think this is going to be a beautiful guitar. The sycamore is sick! Really gonna look sharp once you get a finish on it. Burn pile? Somebody's off their rocker! Like the Adi top, as well. Love the wide grain of Adi, and while I would probably not accept that in a Sitka top, it's kind of expected with Adi, and IMO is part of it's charm.
The only thing wrong with this thread is there are not enough pictures, lol.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I got distracted fixing the house. I will be back in full swing, with more pictures!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I got distracted fixing the house. I will be back in full swing, with more pictures!
By all means, fix the house! Been there, done that. Will be there again, unfortunately.
Looking forward to the pics.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Kitchen is done. Shop is clean! All my wood is pulled together. Rocknroll!
Neil, I even cleaned up the wood room!!! I was going to post shop pictures but my internet is sooooo slow for some reason.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Kitchen is done. Shop is clean! All my wood is pulled together. Rocknroll!
Neil, I even cleaned up the wood room!!! I was going to post shop pictures but my internet is sooooo slow for some reason.
Good job. I wish I were so motivated. I really need to clean out my basement. I haven't seen my workbench in months.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair