The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Did you get a graph? Did it go up much from 161Hz Sam?
Hey Jim - I didnt do any recording of tap tones recently (before bridge sanding). I think the main air may have dropped below 161 hz as the guitar equilibrated.

Anyways, I did do a recording today. But I didnt trust what I was seeing so I looked for my old files to compare and the frequency spectrum coming off the old tap tones wasnt doing anything similar to the plots I posted eariler in this thread. Thus, I dont really know whats going on quantitatively. One interpretation of the data might be that I got about 5 hz higher in the main air after sanding.

Then I of course had to sand a bit more (thats just how I roll I guess). And then the bridge wouldnt hold saddle too well. So, Im making a new bridge out of ebony that will be really thin except at the saddle slot and string holes. If thats too flabby still then maybe I'll use a less dense wood? Ahhhhh........

Really happy though that you pointed out a solution that legitimately improved tone! Thanks. Sam
Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 PM

Just a quick check in to say that a slimmed down new ebony bridge is continuing to help this guitar a ton!

WHen I shaved the braces too far, I'd convince myself (for all of a minute or less, usually) that it sounded good only to arrive at the conclusion that it sounded way too flabby. I put a guitar hanger in my living room, way high on my wall with vaulted ceilings rendering it retired to a life of art.........

But this change has truly resurrected this guitar and it sounds really really good. The bass could tighten up a bit for heavy strumming but if I keep the touch medium to light, its very responsive and the trebles are super rich. Im pumped. Love playing this guitar right now! Its now back down on a guitar stand.

Thanks a zillion again Jim.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Did you get a graph? Did it go up much from 161Hz Sam?
Hey Jim - After looking at spectral data in more detail, here's what I think happened.

The last time I posted a spectrogram, the main top was at 161 hz ish. But then I shaved more after that. I say in the post from 02-12-2013 11:57 AM that I got the top to a D#. I have some recordings of the main air taps that are ~147-150 hz (and a back that has been consistently 213 hz).

My main air after a new ultra thin bridge is 157 hz. So I may have gotten 7 hz back from that move you suggested! Cool.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 AM

Very interesting thread, sorry about the guitar Sam. I get addicted to these things too, at least you've been honest with yourself. Your experience has helped other people though.

I've got a question, what do you think the typical range is for the top frequency? My Blackbird seems to be 188hz, around F sharp, but my other parlour which really lacks bass, seems to have a top frequency right up at A sharp.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Very interesting thread, sorry about the guitar Sam. I get addicted to these things too, at least you've been honest with yourself. Your experience has helped other people though.

I've got a question, what do you think the typical range is for the top frequency? My Blackbird seems to be 188hz, around F sharp, but my other parlour which really lacks bass, seems to have a top frequency right up at A sharp.
Hello sir whale.

I've measured tap tones on about 7-10 guitars and it seems larger bodies are consistently around that F# (unless you are talking my guild). Smaller bodies obviously have higher main air frequencies.

Recently I got a vintage parlor that was not resonant at all. The top is quite thick and the braces are blocky and heavy. The tap tone for the top was quite high, something like 280 hz. I looked at the tap tones of another parlor I have with similar body size that is much more responsive. The top frequency was more like 268 hz on this one (closer to C). Soooo, over a 3 day period of taking minor amounts of wood then measuring tap tones, I have tuned the top to an almost perfect C (262 hz) and the back to a perfect D (294 hz). It sounds phenomenal. I removed quite a bit of wood and I can show you approximately how much if you want to see some pics.

Cool!

Sam
Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 AM

Wow makes me feel good about my luck 13, it's only a small body guitar but does sound amazing and has good bass. Must be the almost lack of braces and thin carbon fibre top. Thanks for all the info, I probably won't touch my Faith Mercury, too scared I'd mess it up.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair