The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Seeking Advice On Transducer, Etc. For Vintage Archtop

I’ve been a member here for a while but am pretty much a lurker. I just purchased this Old Kraftsman “Registered Premier” model 8708.

It’s made by Gibson with solid carved top and back, inlaid mother of pearl logo, fingerboard inlays and checkerboard binding. It plays great and sounds even better. Here are my questions:
I‘m thinking of installing a K&K Definity transducer. Like ‘em? Hate em?
The typical installation for these is to remove the endpin strap button and install the ¼” input jack in its place, but I’m on the fence about doing any alterations to the guitar (the original strap button is broken off flush and needs to be replaced). Are there any stable and cosmetically appealing options?
Instead of install a strap button at the neck heel, most vintage players seem to run the other end of the strap to the headstock. What’s a safe/stable method for attaching it?
Thanks for any advice/wisdom.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Howard,
I assume that's your name as per your email contact.

It, the K&K Definity, appears to be a good choice for the task at hand. The transducer strip is really, really thin, so placing it under the bridge base should be easy.

Definitely go with their preamp suggestion so as to give it the best shot possible.

I own an old Gibson, a 1927 L-5, and although I don't amplify it now, I used a Fishman SBT & Crown mini mic on it for many years.

While there is NO substitute for air, a sound board transducer is always a great place to get a large part of the sound.

Best of luck with it!

HE
http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM

I played a Loar archtop with a K&K Definity recently, and I liked it a lot...
Martin makes a guitar-strap-button-thingy that goes right behind the nut, and allows one to attach a strap...
Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

PS-As far as where to mount the jack, I would do that by floating it under the pick guard. You can find small square 1/4" jacks that can be glued underneath, or if you don't want to cause any changes at all, make another pick guard, or attach the jack to the tailpiece with small wire ties.

The main thing is that it be secure so that you can properly try it out. If it doesn't sound good, who cares where it goes as long as it can be removed easily for the next test with another pickup.

HE
Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi ampig,

Gorgeous guitar, congrats!

I've had the K&K on past guitars and like it quite a bit - it sounds very natural. Their offerings are some of my favorites for both archtops and flat tops.

But I also understand the desire to leave a nice instrument unaltered. That's the same boat I was in with my latest archtop, and I decided to go with a clip on mic instead. I'm really happy with it. You can read more here, if you're interested in other options:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=333497

Best of luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Chiming in only because I wanted to add one other possibility.

I've been using an Audio-Technica 831b mic (popular among the gypsy jazz crowd), but with a gooseneck/windscreen combo clamped on to my tailpiece, and pointed down at the top.

I've been delighted by how well it's worked over the last couple months. I've used it for both my Eastman and my Le Voi, both plugging into the board, and plugging directly into a Mackie SRM350 powered speaker as an amp. The only thing I've added to the equation was a Rolls MS111 switch, so I can mute it between songs, or when switching guitars.

It sounds excellent, has not been so feedback prone as to be unworkable, and can be moved from guitar to guitar without much fuss.

It should be said that the best sounding amplified acoustic archtop I've ever heard was in the Sweet Hollywaiians, and Tak was using a DPA4099 on his Sumi modeled after a 1936 L-5. It sounded amazing, but those mics start at $500, so the AT I found on craigslist for super cheap sure seemed to be a good start.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G
Old 06-01-2014, 01:02 PM

I went with the K&K Definity but have not yet installed it (undergoing a truss rod replacement). My fear with mic's is picking up crowd noise in loud rooms.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campusfive View Post

I've been using an Audio-Technica 831b mic (popular among the gypsy jazz crowd), but with a gooseneck/windscreen combo clamped on to my tailpiece, and pointed down at the top.
I guess the gooseneck is not standard? How did you rig it up? I also have an 831b but haven't been happy with standard mounting options.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I guess the gooseneck is not standard? How did you rig it up? I also have an 831b but haven't been happy with standard mounting options.

I just clip it on to the tailpiece. I've done the same with my LeVoi.
The tailpiece is a bit thick, so it's not the most secure fit, but I've been tempted to replace it with a pre-advance L-5 style trapeze anyway, so maybe that'll be the deciding factor.

I wrote about the experience in more depth here: http://www.campusfive.com/swingguita...ification.html

But, I promise everything I post here won't just be a link back to my blog.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops