The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Originals Live?

So my wife and I do a little duo thing, and we've been playing a lot of open mic nights to a lot of positive reception. We have our very first "gig" next month; a two hour deal at a local venue. We do a lot of alt country/americana/country/country rock type stuff... heavy on the harmonies. Kasey Chambers to Dwight Yoakum, Townes Van Zandt to Hank Williams to John Prine to Dolly Parton...

I also write a bit, and could do half a dozen or more originals.

Now, I personally LOVE to listen to people to do originals. But maybe that's because I strive to write myself, or maybe I'm just weird. I'm working out a set list, and trying to decide if I should include my songs, or not. To be honest, it's more intimidating for me to play my own stories out in front of people than to do other people's songs. Of course, the stuff we do, hardly anyone knows anyway, so they often think they are all originals.

To include them or not? What would you do?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Default Originals Live?

My wife and I are a duo that play Top 40 covers. For regular gigs, we only play our originals when we know we have the crowd fully dialed in. Even then, we make sure to introduce it as an original before playing, and sometimes even ask right at the ending of a loud applause: "Thank you very much. Would you guys like to hear one of our originals?"

This usually sets them with an open mind for something that they're not familiar with, right when our entertainment level/value with them is at its peak. We usually get great responses and have had many requests for it the next gig around.

Last edited by joeguam; 02-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Try one original in the set and observe how it goes. It might be easier if you don't say it's one of your own, just do it and see what happens.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM

For an average gig, I would say one or two originals per set would be fine. Much more and you're likely to lose the average audience, unless the originals are particularly good. It's just hard to hold the interest of most audiences with material they're not familiar with.

However, you might not be playing average gigs. If you're playing more obscure (less mainstream) material and getting away with it, you might be able to play more originals than a lot of acts. I definitely think you should give it a shot. You can always dump the originals if you don't get a decent response. Odds are, though, if the audience is enjoying what you're doing, they will give a good (and forgiving) listen to an occasional original if you announce them beforehand.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM

We've been doing open mic nights, and I've done a couple of originals; usually one in a four song set. Just a couple of times, but I've had people request my songs again, so I guess somebody likes them. I have some new ones... maybe I'll lay those on them, too.

Thanks for the advice. I need to be open to changing the set list up depending on the mood.... It's our first long "gig", so I've been a little too married to the set list, I think. Hopefully we'll loosen up after being up there for awhile.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I play similar material to you -solo, and with a couple of trios.

I write my own stuff as well as covering Texas sing-songwriters.

I find it best to put my originals in the middle of a set, announcing them in advance - but not discussing them too much (discovered by trial and error) - followed by an upbeat cover.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke1 View Post
…To include them or not? What would you do?
Hey Duke!

My gigging partner and I do a lot of covers to earn the right to slip in originals when we feel like it. Seldom do we do more than one in a row.

People like originals…sometimes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Duke... I'm sure it varies due to many circumstances beyond our control...

But I have found that venues that have a heavy focus on music tend to be more friendly to originals. In the bay area we have many of these venues and I would say people appreciate originals more than covers. Of course, in a crowded honky-tonk my fingerstyle originals might not go over so well!

if you want to play originals, go for it. :
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke1 View Post
It's our first long "gig", so I've been a little too married to the set list, I think. Hopefully we'll loosen up after being up there for awhile.
This got me thinking, if it's your first time around, you'd probably want to stick to more familiar tunes as this will most likely be sort of your "audition" for both your hiring manager and the patrons who frequent the establishment. As I mentioned previously and as some have also confirmed, it's probably best to slip in an original only when you feel like you've won the crowd over and have them open-minded for an unfamiliar tune.

Then again, if it's clear that you are just background "lounge" music and not a single person is paying attention to what you're playing (e.g. Sunday brunch restaurants), these are what we call "paid practice", play whatever you wish.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 AM

In a two hour set, I think you should be comfortable playing a couple of originals.

I'd start with that. One an hour. See how they go over.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
In a two hour set, I think you should be comfortable playing a couple of originals.

I'd start with that. One an hour. See how they go over.
That sounds like a good strategy. But bear in mind that every single cover that anyone ever plays was at one time an "original" that no one had heard before and that the artist played to an audience or recorded and was played on the radio. Listen to the radio - you will hear mostly original songs from whatever artist happens to be playing at the time. If they're good enough they will get into people's heads and will then be covered. So play original music in amongst some covers. In time you may be playing all your own originals.

Jack
Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Guest4562

Include them yes. Exclusively originals? I wouldn't.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to include 3 originals. It's just a two hour show, with a short break. I'm thinking it will be a lot of the same folks that I've played for before, and they may even recognize a couple of them. Maybe lay one new on on them.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Like everyone has already said, a few originals are ok, but you should be flexible with your set list - hopefully you have more than 2 hours of songs available. You've got to 'read' the audience - get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Also be ready if someone makes a request, if you don't have a particular song/artist, but have something similar for example.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write