The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 11:33 AM

Default Guild M20

Greetings all. Just wanted to ask if there any players out there using the new Guild M20. Trying to get some real world opinions as they're not easy to get my hands locally.

Ta.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Interested to know this as well
Old 07-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Check out the same question I posed in October of last year:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=559365

First thing to watch, if you haven't already, is the Tony Polecastro review. There's a link to the Youtube review in my first post.

Although the M-20 was a "prime suspect" for me, it wasn't EXACTLY what I ultimately wanted so I scratched my mahogany small body itch with this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578582

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-03-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a Martin 00 12 twelve fret custom, and here are a few observations. These guitars generally, and I've only played a vintage Hoboken Guild M 20, have a very different thing going on. I've found that after playing dreads, it takes me a while to acclimate to the body size and the all hog tone. It won't do things a dread can, and it's not meant to. It does it's own thing. I find that for me playing it exclusively for a few days or a week reminds me of what they are all about. They are off the charts comfortable to play and I find them taking me to places I would not go.

From that other forum, people seem to really like the new M 20 and they are attractively priced. It is interesting that no one actually remembers ever seeing Nick Drake play one in either the studio or on stage. It was on the album cover though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-03-2020, 06:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have a Martin 00 12 twelve fret custom, and here are a few observations. These guitars generally, and I've only played a vintage Hoboken Guild M 20, have a very different thing going on. I've found that after playing dreads, it takes me a while to acclimate to the body size and the all hog tone. It won't do things a dread can, and it's not meant to. It does it's own thing. I find that for me playing it exclusively for a few days or a week reminds me of what they are all about. They are off the charts comfortable to play and I find them taking me to places I would not go.

From that other forum, people seem to really like the new M 20 and they are attractively priced. It is interesting that no one actually remembers ever seeing Nick Drake play one in either the studio or on stage. It was on the album cover though.
There's a lot of comments from knowledgeable folks that were pretty familiar with what Nick Drake played that the album cover shot was simply a prop and not played in the studio.

I find all of that discussion interesting from an academic standpoint, but it does not influence what I like in an instrument in any way. The small body hog guitar such as the M-20 does what it does well, as you say.

I'm a fan of both Drake and the M-20, but there's just no way to reliably put the two together. You really have to appreciate the guitar on it's own merit.

I might eventually put a 00 size 14 fret slot head mahogany together, but if a guitar ended up sounding any better than my size 0 I don't think I could stand it.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-03-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 AM

I ordered one around March from a big box store. I love it. It is a great guitar for fingerstyle with no finger picks. Very focused and warm sounding guitar. The guitar is not for everyone for it is obviously not as full sounding guitar like an dread due to it's size. I play fingerstyle all flesh with no finger picks and it shines in that aspect for my style.

As for the Nick Drake thing all things point to it was just used as photo prop for the guitar and was owned by the photographer Nigel Waymouth who shot the cover for Bryter Layter. The shoes on the cover also belonged to Waymouth.
You can say that Nick Drake probably played that M20 because anytime you put a guitar in a players hands for any reason including a photo shoot chances are they will play the guitar.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Check out the same question I posed in October of last year:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=559365

First thing to watch, if you haven't already, is the Tony Polecastro review. There's a link to the Youtube review in my first post.

Although the M-20 was a "prime suspect" for me, it wasn't EXACTLY what I ultimately wanted so I scratched my mahogany small body itch with this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578582
Yes, it was THAT video that got me interested. I'm suitably impressed by your build by the way. Maybe, one day ...
Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Interesting marketing premise, it seems to be working. Thanks for your perspective. I agree on the adjustment to a different sound; if I play cheap laminates for long enough I find I start to like them and miss their sound when I play something more expensive.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbucci View Post
I ordered one around March from a big box store. I love it. It is a great guitar for fingerstyle with no finger picks. Very focused and warm sounding guitar. The guitar is not for everyone for it is obviously not as full sounding guitar like an dread due to it's size. I play fingerstyle all flesh with no finger picks and it shines in that aspect for my style.

As for the Nick Drake thing all things point to it was just used as photo prop for the guitar and was owned by the photographer Nigel Waymouth who shot the cover for Bryter Layter. The shoes on the cover also belonged to Waymouth.
You can say that Nick Drake probably played that M20 because anytime you put a guitar in a players hands for any reason including a photo shoot chances are they will play the guitar.
Thanks for sharing your experience - I'm not a fan of the dread sound being, like you, a bare fingers player. That said, if a guitar lacks voice I find it discouraging to play. I'm not looking for a Godzilla-room-filler but I don't want to left wondering where the sound is.

Nerdy spec question: Guild's website says 1.75" at the nut and 2 1/4" at the saddle. Correct?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hackenabush View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience - I'm not a fan of the dread sound being, like you, a bare fingers player. That said, if a guitar lacks voice I find it discouraging to play. I'm not looking for a Godzilla-room-filler but I don't want to left wondering where the sound is.

Nerdy spec question: Guild's website says 1.75" at the nut and 2 1/4" at the saddle. Correct?
Yes the nut is 1.75". I am not sure of string spacing at the saddle. Is is plenty of room for me for fingerstyle.

The Oxnard M20's definitely have their own voice. The Martin 00-15m I've tried had a bit more rounder and maybe a fuller sound but the M20 had a more mid focused "warmer" sound to my ear which I preferred.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbucci View Post
Yes the nut is 1.75". I am not sure of string spacing at the saddle. Is is plenty of room for me for fingerstyle.

The Oxnard M20's definitely have their own voice. The Martin 00-15m I've tried had a bit more rounder and maybe a fuller sound but the M20 had a more mid focused "warmer" sound to my ear which I preferred.
"Warmer" is the watch word. I looked at the Martin that the M20 is often compared with but I can't live 1 11/16 nuts. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion