The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 PM

Pretty sure.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:33 PM

I’m of the belief that a guitar can be built light, heavy, or in between, and the body can be made of many different materials.
It’s Top is the most important aspect of tone, response, sustain, Etc. This of course dependent upon the Top material, it’s thickness, bracing, bridge material and location, string gauge, action setup, etc.
So It is important to delineate the meaning of built lightly in reference to the general heft of construction the whole Instrument or built lightly Referring to a lightly built and braced top.

Blues
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM

A story that I have about classical guitar is that quite a long time ago I got my first "good" classical guitar. It was much more resonant and responsive to the touch than my older guitar that I first bought and could be made to sound great. I invited my friend over to see it and to play it and he noted that me playing it sounded much worse than my old guitar! Since I had heard the guitar played properly, I knew it wasn't the guitar. It was my playing technique and style brought out many more "mistakes" and inconsistencies in my playing. My old guitar did not accentuate these mistakes.

Long story short, I had to get better to make the guitar sound better.

In steel-string guitars, this may not be as much of an issue. Classical guitar rely's on properly manicured nails and these sorts of things. But, you could find that you have to adjust your playing to play more "cleanly" because a responsive guitar will amplify every string noise and every mis-fingered note more quickly and louder than a non-responsive guitar.

At the end of the day, a more responsive guitar is generally better. But, be prepared to have to correct some technical issues with your playing and adjust your style a little. Then again, maybe you won't notice anything wrong. Never know! We are all different in our expectations and styles.

Just my opinion...

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 07-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
Long story short, I had to get better to make the guitar sound better.
That was very astute of you. I would have looked for a heavier, less responsive guitar.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:56 PM

All kinds of things can cause weight but a minimally braced and thicknessed top will be the most responsive. It may not have the tone that you like though. Lightly built is not a predictor of good.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
All kinds of things can cause weight but a minimally braced and thicknessed top will be the most responsive. It may not have the tone that you like though. Lightly built is not a predictor of good.
A negative that I have found on 00 guitars, but not all, is that they may sound boxy.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Many lightly built guitars are only made to take Light gauge strings (12-54)
Being lightly built you do not need to pluck as hard.
However, there are some players, that like Medium gauge strings (13 to 56) regardless. They like the heavier tension and the way it plays out for certain styles. In many cases, Light built guitars can not take Medium gauge strings. The tension is too much and can cause long term problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
reponsive lightly built