The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Another Monel thread...

I have used them in the past, primarily on a CEO-7 and a 000-15 SM. They’re great but I really prefer the snap of PB’s...have for over 40 years. And then....

I bought a Jimmy Buffet Pollywog (Basically a dressed up 12 fret 000-18) from a fellow member a little over a year ago. Been playing it-with PB’s- a lot recently.

Well, I just put Monels on it and it is fabulous. The tone is heavenly. A little sweeter, a little more balanced. Transformed a great guitar into a fantastic guitar.

Question: I’ve never put Monels on a rosewood guitar. Would they help or hurt a HD-28vs, a OM-42 koa or my ancient and beloved Gurian JR? (I know-subjective.)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Question: I’ve never put Monels on a rosewood guitar. Would they help or hurt a HD-28vs, a OM-42 koa or my ancient and beloved Gurian JR? (I know-subjective.)
I think you just have to try it. Everyone's experience with these strings seems to be soooo different. Tony Rice loves them with rosewood. And he's Tony Rice! But a lot of folks don't. I haven't had a rosewood guitar since I found Monels so I've just played them on Mahogany, Spruce/Mahogany, and carbon fiber. Loved them on all of them, although I liked Sunbeams a bit more on the carbon fiber.

Just no way for anyone else to know how you'd like 'em on a given guitar.

-Ray
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Just no way for anyone else to know how you'd like 'em on a given guitar.

-Ray
Fair enough. Let me rephrase the question: If you’ve used them on a rosewood guitar what did you think?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Let me rephrase the question: If you’ve used them on a rosewood guitar what did you think?
I've yet to find a rosewood guitar where I prefer the alloy. I love it on mahogany and spruce, but when I've tried the TRs (for example) on my rosewood dreadnoughts, I saw some charm (the dry warmth) but mostly longed to go back to other alloys. Nickel bronze (not the same at all) has been fine on some of my rosewood instruments, but in the "voting with my feet" category, I currently have Monels on a handful of my mahogany and spruce guitars and on nothing else.

But - strings are cheap and opinions are subjective - so I'd give it a try on any of those instruments. My guess would be that I would like them most on the koa OM (but that's closer to mahogany), but it's worth a shot on the D-28.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
My guess would be that I would like them most on the koa OM (but that's closer to mahogany), but it's worth a shot on the D-28.
Probably worth a shot but that koa OM 42-with Martin or D’Addario PB lights- is about as perfect a guitar as I have ever held in my hands. Love it forever. I foolishly tried to sell it twice since it’s a lot of money tied up in one instrument. Thank Heaven it didn’t sell.

Actually think the grand experiment would be on the Gurian. Long scale and a thundering ginormous rosewood box.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

My ears say these babies shine on mahogany guitars. Spruce mahogany, and especially all mahogany. (Juber gauge Retros are by far the best string on my 000-15SM.). My old D-18 liked them too.

I don’t know that Ive found a single rosewood guitar that likes them, but that’s not to say there isn’t one out there – especially vintage.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I like Monel strings on everything I’ve tried except rosewood guitars. I’ve tried Martin Retros and Newtone Monel strings on my Martin OM-21 but keep going back to Martin Lifespan PB.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Anyone compare Curt Mangan monels to Martin retros? Thoughts?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have used them in the past, primarily on a CEO-7 and a 000-15 SM. They’re great but I really prefer the snap of PB’s...have for over 40 years. And then....

I bought a Jimmy Buffet Pollywog (Basically a dressed up 12 fret 000-18) from a fellow member a little over a year ago. Been playing it-with PB’s- a lot recently.

Well, I just put Monels on it and it is fabulous. The tone is heavenly. A little sweeter, a little more balanced. Transformed a great guitar into a fantastic guitar.

Have you tried Nickel Bronze? I had the same realization about Monels. I prefered the snap of PBs. However, NB are like the best of both worlds to me. They really sound great on my mahogany dreadnoughts. They sound so good on my Collings D1A I'm not sure I'll ever try anything else.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
His point was that everybody has a different opinion.

I used them with Braz Rosewood and they sounded great for about a week and then died an ugly death.

Others love them, so once again it isn’t about tonewoods, it’s about ears, construction, perceptions, preferences, etc..
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I put them on a HD-28 Adi and liked it initially. But next string change went back to D'Addario PB. Try it...you may like it?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Anyone compare Curt Mangan monels to Martin retros? Thoughts?
I have and I like both. Incidentally I also tried the Newtone Masterclass Monel round cores. While I liked the sound of them just fine, I found them oddly stiff even though they were round core? Any others here agree? The Curt Mangans I tried were roundcore in medium gauge and they felt pretty darn good and sounded great, not as stiff as the Newtones.

I had a set of Retros on my RainSong for 4 months and they were outstanding on that guitar, even better than Thomastik Plectrums iMO.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:00 PM

I use them on my HD-28 and love them. It might be the style I play. I feel like with monels I hear more of the wood. I also find that the tactile experience is preferable to me. They don't feel as stiff to me. Just love them. I also feel like they last a little longer for me. Or at least maybe the "dead" sound they produce is more preferable to me than the "dead" sound PB put out.

Gone but not forgotten
Martin 00LX-1
Martin 000m
Martin DM
Martin LXM
Martin LXK2
Seagull SWS Minijumbo
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor GC3
Taylor 324
2002 Art & Lutherie Ami

Last edited by samthinguy; 07-02-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

The hidden beauty of monels is how freaking long they last. Many months of regular play makes them such a good value and low maintenance.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:48 PM

Love the way they have sounded on my walnut b/s Gibson J-15...for the last 6 months!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion