The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-01-2020, 03:09 PM

Default I've clearly lost it. Mad about food challenges having too much carbs

So recently I've seen a couple of food challenges and thought "If it wasn't for all the carbs, I'd totally do that!"

The 72 ounce Big Texan steak challenge for instance. The steak? sure. The shrimp? battered, but I can handle that. The roll and the baked potato? Dang it!

In my defense, I am "post type 2 diabetic" by being on a low carb diet. No meds. Normal blood sugars. 6'3", well muscled 187 or so pounds (did this just turn into a personal ad?).

I actually would try the Big Texan if I was in the neighborhood. As these go, it looks like a fluffy, non-dense, roll and a normal sized baked potato. I could manage that without more than a couple hours of higher blood sugar. But most of these have mountains of fries/hashbrowns, lots of bread, a big sundae for dessert, etc.

Anybody else ever been tempted by, or just interrested in a food challenge?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:53 PM

Oh blue, that seems like a foolish thing to do. What good can come of it? Either you don't make it and have to pay $72 for eating way too much and stressing out your body, or you do make it and get to eat way too much and stress out your body for free.

What's the appeal? Just to say you did it? A free meal? Your name on the wall?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Texan_Steak_Ranch

The bun is a nice touch.

Last edited by mc1; 07-01-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: had to add the picture
Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 PM

See if you can get another 12 ounces of steak instead of the potato and bread.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

.....consuming a 72 ounce protein plug isn’t a challenge...it’s just a really stupid thing to do...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I like a fine British reared beef fillet steak pan fried but we don't eat beef that much and the idea of all that flesh kinda makes me want to retch.
A eight ounce piece for two is quite enough.

For our rare venture to red meat, we prefer lamb prepared in the Greek way, I flatter myself that I can make a superb Arni Kleftiko (slow roasted leg of lamb in rosemary, and desiree potatoes), with my own fasolakia (french beans in plum tomatoes) with my own style of tsatsiki.

However my most popular dish currently is a salmon, hake and asparagus tray bake with green harissa(a spicy Tunisian paste) green pesto and lemons over grilled red onions and sweet peppers served with a simple basmatti rice, and, of course, a tsatsiki.

A similar dish with red harissa on a half chicken is also very good.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Oh blue, that seems like a foolish thing to do.

I know right! Oh wait... You sound like you mean that in a "bad way"...
Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 PM

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...d-colon-cancer
Old 07-01-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I know right! Oh wait... You sound like you mean that in a "bad way"...
I was going full Dad on you. I think the best reason to do it is just for kicks and the story. So if you do it, and I fully encourage you to, because, yolo, life's for living, etc, then take some pictures and come back and tell us about it.

I hope they're not like, "You have to finish all the ranch dressing and the gristle".
Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 PM

Probably better to puke up Prime Rib than Hot Dogs
Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Probably better to puke up Prime Rib than Hot Dogs
Excellent point. blue, eat the carbs last, since if you can't finish it all they won't be consumed, and if you do finish it all they'll come up first. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I was going full Dad on you. I think the best reason to do it is just for kicks and the story. So if you do it, and I fully encourage you to, because, yolo, life's for living, etc, then take some pictures and come back and tell us about it.

I hope they're not like, "You have to finish all the ranch dressing and the gristle".
Oh, it's definitely a "clean plate club" situation
Old 07-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Excellent point. blue, eat the carbs last, since if you can't finish it all they won't be consumed, and if you do finish it all they'll come up first. Hope this helps.
I'm an old hand at "Belly Tetris"... I can work the shrimp around the roll if I need to.

Kinda disappointed in the general stick in the mud attitude around here these days... Not you.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I'm an old hand at "Belly Tetris"... I can work the shrimp around the roll if I need to.

Kinda disappointed in the general stick in the mud attitude around here these days... Not you.
Well, what do you expect from a bunch of acoustic guitar playing fogies?

The thing is, if you want to do it, you should just do it, then tell us about it. Even if I wanted to do this, I don't think I'd recommend it to someone else.

Taking all this to the next level and then the level beyond that, I recently heard about the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas. It boggle my mind that such a place exists. Some tasty quotes below:

The Heart Attack Grill is an American hamburger restaurant in downtown Las Vegas, Nevada (formerly located in Chandler, Arizona). It makes a point of serving food that is very high in fat, sugar, and cholesterol; in other words, food that, if eaten regularly, would cause a heart attack, hence the name.

The establishment is a hospital theme restaurant: waitresses ("nurses") and waiters ("doctors") take orders ("prescriptions") from the customers ("patients"). Each patient dons a hospital gown and wrist band before ordering and those who do not finish their meal receive a paddling by one of the "nurses" with the option to buy the paddle afterwards.

The menu is generally themed around items that are exceptionally high in calories and fat. It includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", "Quadruple", all the way up to "Octuple Bypass" hamburgers, ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories (33,000 kJ)), all-you-can-eat "Flatliner Fries" (cooked in pure lard), beer and tequila, "butterfat milkshakes," and soft drinks such as Mexican-bottled Coca-Cola made with cane sugar. Customers can also order cigarettes, or candy cigarettes for children.

Customers over 350 lb (160 kg) in weight eat for free if they weigh in with a nurse waitress before eating. Beverages and to-go orders are excluded and sharing food is also not allowed for the free food deal.

One of the restaurant's promotions is a reward for customers who finish a Triple or Quadruple Bypass Burger, after which they are placed on a wheelchair and wheeled out to their vehicle by their "personal nurse".
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 PM

I have a different issue. I’m restricted to less than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day. It is very difficult for me to eat out and meet that restriction.

The CDC recommends a limit of 2,300 milligrams per day for a healthy person and even meeting that target is a bit of a challenge.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I have a different issue. I’m restricted to less than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day. It is very difficult for me to eat out and meet that restriction.

The CDC recommends a limit of 2,300 milligrams per day for a healthy person and even meeting that target is a bit of a challenge.
Just curious have you ever done your OWN research on sodium? I’m not going to discuss the topic, but I have researched it. Might be of interest to you! YMMV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic