The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Acoustic preamps and pickup systems

Hello you all !!!

Hope you’re all well and safe in this strange times we’re going through.
I’m going through some changes on my acoustic guitar amplification system and thought this would be a good place to get new suggestions.

For the past years I’ve been using a combination the L.R.Baggs M1 passive pickup and the L.R.Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. After some research I’m really keen about the combination of the K&K Trinity pro system, which has a soundboard transducer and an internal condenser microphone, through a FELIX preamp by Grace Design.

Is anyone out there using the same combination ?
If so, do you have any general recommendations ?

Anyhow, all other suggestions of combinations are welcome !!!!!

Looking forward to your replies.

Miguel
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 PM

Hello,

good plan wich guarantes great results. I use that combination and I am happy, but upgraded here and there. Look at my signature below.
Dazzo, Schatten and Ultra Tonic to my ears sound more natural than the K&K. My favorite combo is Dazzo soundboard transducer / DPA 4041 lo sens internal mic.
Grace Felix is an awesome preamp, but for less money you will get the amazing Sunnaudio MS-2 preamp. This unit sounds as good as the Felix, is packed with tons of features and will fit into your guitar case. One feature that I really love and missed in the Felix: Boost only one signal (pickup) when soloing. Another feature: MidSize capable.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Dear guitarman68

Thanks very much for your reply.

What would you say are the main differences in the sound that comes out of the PA when using a FELIX unit and Sunnaudio MS 2 unit ?

Thanks very much

Miguel
Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 PM

No significant differences that I my ears will hear. I even recorded both signals in my studio to find out. Back then I started with the legendary Pendulum SPS-1, which still is a great sounding unit, maybe still the best - so you see, I'm very picky about amplified acoustic sound. In the past years I used the Grace, and the Sunnaudio arrived only a few weeks ago. But I love the package of the Sunnaudio: small size, tons of feature, uncompromised tone - and a quality of customer support I didn't experienced before - awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-01-2020, 04:14 PM

Also,

How did you use the K&K trinity pro system with th FELIX unit ?

Would you split both signals with an Y cable and EQ it separately ?

Did you ever had any problems regarding the voltage to feed the mic of the Trinity system ?

Thanks

Miguel
Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Girão View Post
Also,

How did you use the K&K trinity pro system with th FELIX unit ?

Would you split both signals with an Y cable and EQ it separately ?

Did you ever had any problems regarding the voltage to feed the mic of the Trinity system ?

Thanks

Miguel
Voltage will be an issue with any of these preamps with the K&K Mic, since K&K appears to have crippled the mic so that it shuts off above 5 volts. Unless you have an older mic before they did that. Fortunately there are plenty of other mic choices that can be used with the K&K. With both Felix and the Sunnaudio device (most 2-channel preamps, actually), you can just use a TRS cable, and it will route the 2 sources to each channel, where you can EQ each, blend, etc.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Do you folks have any recomendations to what pick up systems go well with the Felix unit ?
I know that this is a very sensitive topic, as ir is such personal decision depending on your sound and live performance situations, but O would really like to get the insight of people who have used dual sorce systems and blend/dual channel preamps.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Felix is a studio-quality preamp, very clean, uncolored, great EQ, very flexible in routing, impedance, etc. It will faithfully pass along the sound of any pickup you plug into it. I can't imagine any pickup doing better or worse with Felix as far as the pair goes. What pickup you like is a matter of taste, but Felix won't get in the way of anything you choose.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:14 AM

I have owned a lot of preamps. The Pendulum SPS-1 is the best but a beast to use. I have owned the Grace Felix and it is a great one indeed. I like the Sunnaudio MS2 along with my Dazzo. It’s easy to dial in, it has all of the tools I need and it can be powered by battery or phantom power. The tone is like taking a blanket off of the speaker. Warmth and clarity are amazing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-05-2020, 03:36 AM

Dont mean to hijack, but regarding the MS-2: it looks as if this preamp has dual fx loops; one for each input? Is there a toggle or switch that allows you to use one or the other post "blend" on both signals? Say I wanted to insert an EQ or reverb pedal on my blended signal just prior to the output. Is this possible?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:40 AM

I mostly use a Fishman UST (Infinity Matrix I think) with the Aura Spectrum. It's hard get a sense of what it does from the stage (or corner, or whatever floor space we're stuffed into) but I've heard from a few people I trust that it makes a big difference in taming quack and providing a sound that's more like a mic'd acoustic. I've used a K&K mini with good results too.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Dont mean to hijack, but regarding the MS-2: it looks as if this preamp has dual fx loops; one for each input? Is there a toggle or switch that allows you to use one or the other post "blend" on both signals? Say I wanted to insert an EQ or reverb pedal on my blended signal just prior to the output. Is this possible?
The MS2 has 4 inserts. 2 are pre-blend, so you can put individual effects on each pickup source, and then 2 for the stereo L/R output, post blend.

This was an important feature I requested for the original, so that I could apply an IR to the pickup before blend, and then put a stereo reverb on the final stereo signal. Works perfectly, and gives you a lot of flexibility.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Trance Audio Amulet. Comes with its own preamp. Straight into PA or your amp, nothing else needed.

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 07-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Lime View Post
Trance Audio Amulet. Comes with its own preamp. Straight into PA or your amp, nothing else needed.
If you want a KISS solution, a Dazzo into any of the onboard SunnAudio pres would work too, but the OP wants to use a mic. After blending my Dazzo/SunnAudio combo with an SM 81 into my DAW for recording, I understand the mic concept, but for me and what I do, the Dazzo/SunnAudio combo works fine.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-06-2020, 11:28 AM

I use a very uncommon combo on my flamenco: a Barbera Soloist with a TD100 preamp by Summit Audio. This pre is really basic: output gain control and impedance control, and it’s a tube pre. By varying the impedance you can actually define how much lows you wanna get, functioning as an EQ of some sort. It sounds so warm and natural! I love it. It sounds so good that I’m not tempted to add any fx.. In the next weeks I’ll install (properly) a Schatten HFN in my Lowden and I’m very curious to see how it works with the TD100. I do have some high expectations, I’d admit...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic guitars, felix, grace design, k&k, trinity pro