The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 AM

Default I want to ride my bicycle

My bike came from a dumpster and never drove right
found out the rear wheel wasnt matched up with the rest of bike
so its a parts bike - ( its a old panasonic )
Was lucky enough to find a refurbed Schwinn 27"( chicago Illinois )
and am having fun with it -was great to get out with my daughter
a few times -just not use to riding - by the way i got a new helmit !

thinking about wearing a safety vest for safety - maybe get flashers for the back ?

Last edited by Tony Burns; 06-29-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I just rode mine yesterday... beautiful day to bike! I always wear a helmet... doesn't matter how far or how fast you're going. Gotta have it. You could get a vest. I choose to wear a jersey or shirt that is high-visibility yellow and I wear gloves that are the same color. Anything you can do to protect yourself from being hit by a car is a good idea.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Yup. Helmet even for a quick trip around the block. When pavement meets noggin, pavement wins every time.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post

thinking about wearing a safety vest for safety - maybe get flashers for the back ?
Yes, I wear helmet, hot lime/yellow vest or jersey , and bright LED flashers for both front (white) and back'(red) Remember there is nothing that says an inattentive cannot drift over into your lane from the front also .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My wife and I took our bikes to our Florida winter home and left them there. I’m on the hunt right now for a good used hybrid. I’m not an avid cyclist, but I’m anxious to get back riding. We have trails galore where I live. Yep, anything you do to protect your noggin and make yourself visible is good.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

At 65yo, I've developed decent skills on dozens of bikes, and I've ended up tumbling on the ground more than a few times. Some observations:

- Bicycles present little/no physical threat to a motor vehicle, we are very easy to ignore. Assuming you are invisible is actually pretty realistic and a lot safer than expecting to be seen and avoided.

- I've crashed every off-road bike I've had (5 or 6 MTBs since the early 80s), enough so that I feel naked and vulnerable without a helmet and gloves. I won't ride 10' without both.

- My high-tech electric (assist) road commuter cruises easily at 25mph+ on level ground. While it's tempting to take a quick spin around the block without suiting up, I preclude that notion by parking it with helmet and gloves hanging from the top tube so it can't be pedaled without moving them (onto my head and hands).

Used sensibly, bikes are a wonderful way to cover a lot of ground quickly, breathe some fresh air and enjoy scenery. I suffered a painful leg injury a few years ago (not from bikes) that made it impossible to jog, and I could barely walk. Throughout that time, I could bike without impact, and with very little pain. Great therapy for certain injuries/conditions that might make other kinds of exercise impossible.

Stay safe everyone. It would suck to survive this plague only to get wiped out on a bike!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 AM

You definitely want quality lights for safety. I'm a fan of the Bontrager (Trek) lights that are not exactly cheap, and the Planet Bike 60 lumen rear light for a modest amount.

The thing to know about the Planet Bike lights after being a good firm is parts support. The USB charged 60 lumen light has same mount type they've had for years. It will work on a rack or a post. Over and over I see lesser stuff at low prices become toxic wasted because you don't have parts.

We have enough mounts and clips whether the Planet Bike, Bontrager or NiteRider that every family member on any of the fleet will always have the benefit of a light that will be seen.

Our NightRider lights are less throw away but are bulkier. I use the Bontrager headlights as very powerful flashlights. The Bontrager having a day time as well as night time flash mode is really nice. Far more noticeable in day and easier on your brain at night.

The better lights are GoPro mount compatible.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Just an FYI, old Panasonic bicycles can be worth some cash if the frame is in decent shape. One of my favorite bikes is an early 1980's Panasonic touring bike.

Here's a website that may be of help with that bike:

https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/
Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy riding my mountain bike, it seems to be the official sport of the middle age guy. We have great trails close by. I don't plan on any riding on the roads, too many people looking at their phones instead of the road. definitely wear helmet and gloves for every trip, you never know when the tree is going to jump out into the path.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I enjoy riding my mountain bike, it seems to be the official sport of the middle age guy. We have great trails close by. I don't plan on any riding on the roads, too many people looking at their phones instead of the road. definitely wear helmet and gloves for every trip, you never know when the tree is going to jump out into the path.
Yeah, I'm with you on several points! Middle-aged, avid mountain biker, and left the road scene because of how much buffoonery I've seen from drivers in the last 10 years.

I did road extensively from the late 80's to about six years ago. Raced local crits in Seattle on a team back in the 90's for a while. I love the sport, but I'd seen so many distracted (phone) drivers drift into the bike lane that I was getting more concerned about my safety. Moved to a new job where a bunch of my peers were into mountain biking, and joined them. Never looked back.

Stokes my love of the outdoors, love the skills aspect, and just makes me feel like a kid again. Plus the mountain bike scene is much more social and much less competitive and filled with posers. Just a bunch of good folks having a good time together. We compete for times on downhill sections and talk a lot about gear, but it's all fun. So glad I made the change. I had mountain biked a bit in college but it's such a different sport now with all the trails and the new equipment. Night and day.

Sounds like COVID has been amazing for bike sales, which is a wonderful development. The more riders, the safer and more supported we all are!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Where are you riding? Roads or walking trails? It sounds like if you make this a habit you'll fall pretty to the cyclist's version of GAS: N+1. At some point you'd probably benefit from a better bike depending on your riding style. Here's what I'd suggest for gear:

- headlight (just so others can see you, it doesn't have to be super bright unless you ride at night or through tunnels)

- flashing tail light (that way passing motorists will notice you)

- rearview mirror that fits on the side of your helmet with a backup on your left handlebar. They're good to have if you're riding with others at a different pace or you're riding on busy roads.

- gloves, preferably with some sort of padding and added grip so your hands don't slip or go numb.

- biker shorts. Again: numbness

- a better saddle with added padding and a hole or scoop in the middle. Again: numbness.

- if your bike has straight bars get comfort grips. Look at Ergon brand. Don't get the kind with the integrated risers or bar extensions. I actually find them to be a hazard.

- a good set of eye protection, not just sunglasses. Bugs are a thing.

- a face mask of some sort. Bugs don't always taste good and can sometimes take out teeth.

- some sort of headband. Sweat in the eyes can be an annoyance or sometimes a distraction.

BTW I wear ski goggles year round. They don't fog up, protect your eyes from bugs, don't fog up, can act as a headband and prevent sweat from running into your eyes

- elbow pads. I learned this the hard way by sailing over my handlebars.

- knee pads; same reason.

- shin guards (to protect your ankles from the teeth on metal pedals or cogs on the crankset.

- a spare set of rims with a tire with a hardier thread like a hybrid tire; skinny tires are prone to "pinch" flats.

- riser bars for your handlebars (different riding positions will be more comfortable and/or efficient.)

- look at pedal upgrades. Keeping your feet in contact with the pedals is the goal. There are different options such as flat pedals with metal pins, alloy (aluminum) pedals with "cages" for your feet, or "clipless" pedals which require special shoes that lock to the pedal. They're not for beginner riders though!

- a cheap sports camera (or two)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
They're not for all middle aged men and not all mountain bikes are equal. I have a Trek Marlin 7 and it's more of a "cross country" bike. I take it on single track every so often to remind myself that I'm not as young as I used to be but for the most part stick to gravel.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q
Old 06-29-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I've biked all my life. I gave my mountain bike to my grandson. At 67 I wanted a urban bike with fat tires, gears, a bigger seat, light and that I didn't have to lean on my hands and I could sit up more. The one I got I have oddly been complemented on it several times. I live along a bike trail that runs along a couple of rivers but all I do is lolly gage around.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-29-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I've got a late '90s steel Kona Cindercone frame with everything else replaced by my stepson. I know nothing about this stuff but I know I really love this bike.
Every time he sees it he asks to buy it back.

in '96 on my last bike - a Marin and I parted company at 40mph. It stopped, I didn't - landed on my head but my left shoulder took the main impact fracturing my collarbone and something else identified at the time.
Yes I had a helmet - which got ruined.

Sometime later, stepson had an accident on the Kona which was written off - but they never took the bike away, so he rebuilt it and sold it to me.

My stepson is a great cyclist and until March used to cycle about ten miles -in all weathers - he works outside mostly on race courses.

During lockdown, I've taken it for solitary rides (or has it taken me) avoiding roads and people (I live in an ancient city with loads of "twittens" (small pathways -some called "bridleways" - and alley ways) mostly deserted. I notice that my cruising speed has increased significantly since March.

I always wear a helmet and gloves and have a bell (legal requirement) and two klaxons - pedestrians are the greatest hazard, especially phone-zombies.

Actually persuaded Nanny Jane to ride her aluminium framed Giant last weekend - it hasn't been ridden for maybe three years. All it needed was air in the tyres.

Apparently we are going to get lots more bike lanes in and around our city.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic