The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default COVID-19 (Cont'd #8)

As we reopen the COVID-19 conversation, we'd like to remind everyone that our rules govern the discussion. According to Rule #1, all members are required to be nice. And political conversation is prohibited.

We recognize that COVID-19 elicits highly-emotional responses. We are all in this situation together, so let's ensure the discussion remains within our rules. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-27-2020, 11:20 PM

There were 90 new cases here in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania on Saturday. That’s the biggest spike since early April. Last Monday showed a drastic uptick at 45 on Monday and 60 on Friday. Reports are that they suspect that these infections may be associated with traveling to other high risk areas in the south like Florida, South Carolina, etc.

I’m not going to preach but my wife is upset and is suggesting we voluntarily lock down again. I’m actually fine with that. Seeing people being so laissez fairs without masks on and not keeping even arms length away was giving me the creeps.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:30 AM

Tim Walters, a co-founder of ReOpen Maryland, who organized rallies to pressure Gov. Hogan to lift restrictions, has tested positive for the virus. He said he has had a dry cough for months, but it recently worsened. Walters, 53, a diabetic who has had mini-strokes, went to the emergency room Monday and was diagnosed with the virus.

“It’s funny how capricious this thing is”, Walters said. The man who was the poster boy for public health irresponsibility, went months not wearing a mask at rallies and churches, and is refusing to cooperate with contact tracing appears to not understand the definition of “capricious”.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Tim Walters, a co-founder of ReOpen Maryland, who organized rallies to pressure Gov. Hogan to lift restrictions, has tested positive for the virus. He said he has had a dry cough for months, but it recently worsened. Walters, 53, a diabetic who has had mini-strokes, went to the emergency room Monday and was diagnosed with the virus.

“It’s funny how capricious this thing is”, Walters said. The man who was the poster boy for public health irresponsibility, went months not wearing a mask at rallies and churches, and is refusing to cooperate with contact tracing appears to not understand the definition of “capricious”.
Here in Georgia we are having a large surge in cases. I have a gig booked (full band) on July 4, and I’m thinking there is a good chance the Governor will pull the plug on this activity.
For the record, the venue has a large stage and multiple fans behind the performers pointing at the audience.

A reasonable person would throttle back on reopening here in Georgia.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I scratch my head when I see those in public wearing masks around their chins exposing their noses and mouths. That might be the very definition of going through the motions of being cautious...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 AM

My wife and I went to dinner out last night.
We were two of a total of four other patrons who were wearing masks.
The restaurant was very busy. They did have spaced seating and plastic dividers separating the diners.
The employees and servers were all wearing them.
Generally, I have seen an abandonment of mask-wearing in retail stores by the public.
I expect Ohio will see a big jump in the numbers of infections shortly.
I also expect the governor to implore people to wear them again soon.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-28-2020, 07:20 AM

Default Evaluating the Source of Your News

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta just published this article: Science by press release: When the story gets ahead of the science. It's short and well-written advice on how to evaluate some of the information that you read or hear, and why some prior 'breakthroughs' have fallen flat on their face.

Last edited by srick; 06-28-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My wife and I went to dinner out last night.
We were two of a total of four other patrons who were wearing masks.
The restaurant was very busy. They did have spaced seating and plastic dividers separating the diners.
The employees and servers were all wearing them.
Generally, I have seen an abandonment of mask-wearing in retail stores by the public.
I expect Ohio will see a big jump in the numbers of infections shortly.
I also expect the governor to implore people to wear them again soon.
It's similar here in Pennsylvania, however people are only required to wear masks if they leave their seats - which seems counterproductive to me but then again we were the dummies who went. We've been to two restaurants with the same set of friends (whose house we've been to and have had over to ours) and it's been sufficiently weird enough of an experience that we're probably not going to be going to a restaurant again for some time. We'll continue to do curbside and takeout but even going into the lobby and standing around near other people seems weird enough. I've already overcome my phobia of the grocery store, but with the uptick in numbers I'll be looking into curbside pickup for that again. It was one of the first things to book up.

FWIW I have no problem wearing a mask and quite frankly can't understand why people are so resistant. I'm more afraid of other people who are openly combative and defiant than I am of people whose facial expressions I can't read. By that logic I would be distrustful of people who wear too much makeup.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I scratch my head when I see those in public wearing masks around their chins exposing their noses and mouths. That might be the very definition of going through the motions of being cautious...
Displays the same staggering and yes frightening lack of critical thinking ability, as shown in this photo .....
And proof positive that even a lick of common sense, is no longer required to survive in our society. But maybe mother nature will sort out for us, that which we seem unable to do for ourselves .. OK I done

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-28-2020, 07:48 AM

I was surprised to see this article that investigated and concluded that outdoor protests weren’t the source of any significant coronavirus growth. The article focused on the state of Utah, but wasn't limited to that state. Remarkably, "Given that there have been 4,613 positive cases in Salt Lake County in June, according to the health department, and thousands of people who attended protests over the course of multiple weeks, [there were] only five cases tied to the protests..."

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-28-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I was surprised to see this article that investigated and concluded that outdoor protests weren’t the source of any significant coronavirus growth. The article focused on the state of Utah, but wasn't limited to that state. Remarkably, "Given that there have been 4,613 positive cases in Salt Lake County in June, according to the health department, and thousands of people who attended protests over the course of multiple weeks, [there were] only five cases tied to the protests..."
My wife also made the observation that most people in a protest are facing the same way. And those who are not are well distanced.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I’m highly suspicious of that. Let’s see what develops in a week or so.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta just published this article: "Science by press release: When the story gets ahead of the science. It's short and well-written advice on how to evaluate some of the information that you read or hear, and why some prior 'breakthroughs' have fallen flat on their face.
Link doesn’t work.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I’m highly suspicious of that. Let’s see what develops in a week or so.
Yes a bit premature and speculative at the least (not to mention no viable method to actually track all participants )
After reading it, it seems another case of click bait headline hype, not very well supported by the body of the article.
At least they accurately noted that the protests were #1 outside (totally different than indoors) and #2 significant numbers were wearing masks.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic