The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I don’t know, Marion Morrison InterNational has a certain ring to it...
Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My wife finally caved to subscribing to Netflix and she and I just binge watched all 3 seasons of Stranger Things. I binged on Lost in Space and Space Force (with Steve Carell and John Malkovich) and she's binging Schitt's Creek with Eugene Levy and his son Daniel (who has the same eyebrows) but I can't get into it because I cannot stand Chris Elliot. We tried watching The Ozarks with Jason Bateman but felt it was too dark to watch beyond the pilot.
We’re watching Schitt$ Creek” (proper spelling).
We find it pretty funny. I understand how you feel about Chris Elliott, but he’s perfect for the role of the sleazeball mayor.
“Ozark” was pretty good, but yes, dark and a little far-fetched.
We then moved on to “Bloodlines”. Talk about dark ...woo-boy, there’s some real crazies in this one.
The first season was captivating, but the next two were a bit drawn out and slow, plus the ending stunk in our opinion.
We are also currently watching “Safe” which is another “out there” mystery/ crime/ drama show. It’s decent but disjointed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I had booked to see 1917, at the local film club ... that was before lockdown.

I managed to download it rom Sky for free, and watched it by myself, Jane wouldn't have been able to watch it.

i'm glad I watched it, if only to think of my grandfather who told me he was there in the trenches from 1914 all the way to the end.

Desolate, disturbing, but essential watching.

Also, the BBC has been screening Alan Bennett's "Talking Heads" - a series of 12 one person pieces superbly played by some of our finest actors. Those that appreciate the art of the actor will really appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:49 PM

• Downton Abbey. Not sure why I gave up on it a few years ago, button I'm totally hooked.
  • Messiah. Much different than I was expecting, but so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
  • I also like watching youtube videos of the newer generation discovering and listening to classic rock for the first time.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

Last edited by _zedagive; 07-02-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

A few weeks ago I finished watching West World on Hulu/HBO
Loved it and I hope they continue the story line

After a week of limited TV I started watching Game of Thrones.
I am hooked. Just started season 4 today. There’s going to be withdrawals symptoms when I finish the last season.

I wonder how many shows will not have a new or will have a delayed season due to Covid.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-02-2020, 02:14 AM

My wife and I recently finished the first season of "Carnival Row," which we found by accident. Right now we're watching "Snow Piercer," "Space Force," and "Man In The High Castle" depending on our mood. I also recently binge watched "The Mandalorian" at my daughter's house.

In more more mundane programming we enjoy "Home Town."

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
My wife and I recently finished the first season of "Carnival Row," which we found by accident. Right now we're watching "Snow Piercer," "Space Force," and "Man In The High Castle" depending on our mood. I also recently binge watched "The Mandalorian" at my daughter's house.

In more more mundane programming we enjoy "Home Town."
I enjoyed Carnival Row and look forward to season 2. I can understand quite easily how anyone would binge watch The Mandalorian, as I did too! I keep reading good things about 'Snow Piercer', so that may well be coming soon on my viewing schedule once I've watched Season 2 of Hanna.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Just finished Episode 4 (of 7) of Queen's Gambit. It's about chess. Superb photography, set in the early 1960's, a time that fascinates me.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Just finished Episode 4 (of 7) of Queen's Gambit. It's about chess. Superb photography, set in the early 1960's, a time that fascinates me.

Superb is right —The Queen’s Gambit is one of the best series Netflix has ever released. I’m also anxiously awaiting season 4 of The Crown.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:01 AM

We're still in season 1 of the Crown. No spoilers please!
Old 11-10-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Superb is right —The Queen’s Gambit is one of the best series Netflix has ever released. I’m also anxiously awaiting season 4 of The Crown.
I've already given my enthusiastic support for "The Queen's Gambit". I'm the same age as the character in the movie and learned the game at the same time. The only major difference is that I had the interest but not the talent. My first book was "How to Play Chess", which I wrote at the age of 9. It remains tragically unpublished.

"The Crown" returns on November 15th.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Just finished up the 4 available seasons of The Expanse. For some reason the first episode didn’t catch my interest when it aired originally, but I kept reading good reviews and gave it another look.
Excellent, realistic science-fiction.

Also the very quirky Doom Patrol on HBO Max... Strange but strangely compelling.

I rather like Raised By Wolves on HBO as well.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:47 AM

We have been watching “Rita” on Netflix....made in Denmark, and has subtitles. At times very funny, at times cringeworthy as we watch the main character make terrible life choices. But we are in the hard season and are enjoying it. It is about a teacher in a small school who is really great with kids, but keeps making messes in her own life.

Much looking forward to the upcoming season of “The Crown”.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
We have been watching “Rita” on Netflix....made in Denmark, and has subtitles. At times very funny, at times cringeworthy as we watch the main character make terrible life choices. But we are in the hard season and are enjoying it. It is about a teacher in a small school who is really great with kids, but keeps making messes in her own life.

Much looking forward to the upcoming season of “The Crown”.
"Rita" is in my Watch List, I'll get to it soon. Looked really good from the preview, glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:20 PM

On a lighter side, I started watching Psych on Amazon Prime. I had only seen a couple of episodes back when it aired (2006-2014). It's similar to the show Monk in that it's a light comedy detective series. Monk is a fantastic show.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic