The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-24-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Help buying Weissenborn

Hi everybody. I’m looking to buy a Weissenborn style guitar. I’m willing to spend around 400 euro.

I’ve found these sites:

http://www.anderwoodguitars.com/prod...eissenborn.php

http://www.weissenborn.es/store/acou...rice&order=ASC

http://bediaz-music.de/product_info....products_id=62

Anybody has any idea how good these guitars are?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 PM

At your price point, they are all going to be pretty similar. I would go with the most highly rated in your neck of the woods. I'm sure we have access to the same factories' products, just labeled differently, in the United States and Canada. But I'm afraid my experience over here won't help you.

The good news is that the "user interface" on a lap instrument is pretty forgiving. If the frets are reasonably in the right place, the playing difference between one of the ones you are looking at and one costing 10 times as much is nearly identical. The sound? Not so much. But 400, euros or dollars, buys you a lot of guitar these days.

Might be some good advice on Michael Messer's board. I bet a couple of "Blokes" on there play Weissenborn types. Haven't been on his board in years, but it was a very friendly and well managed place, with a lot of participation by Michael.

Good luck. Go play a few gretsch squarenecks while you are researching. You might find you like a Dobro spider style bridge. Though nothing is as beautiful as a weissy with rope binding.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:24 AM

The Anderton website says "laminated woods" and Weissenborn.ES says "solid mahogany". Bediaz leaves it open, so I would contact Bediaz and ask if he uses solid woods and if so, I would chose between the two solid wood Weissenborns. Laminated is not an option for me.
I owned several original Weissenborn and Konas over the years, still have a Style 4 of each. Had contact both with Weissenborn.ES (purchased a Style 1 once) and Bediaz - both companies we're very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-25-2020, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Mine was made by Peter Gosden in Petersfield Hants.

See : http://www.petergosden.com/guitars.html

Mine is a better instrument than i am player.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOSDEN Hawiian.jpg (23.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
The Anderton website says "laminated woods" and Weissenborn.ES says "solid mahogany". Bediaz leaves it open, so I would contact Bediaz and ask if he uses solid woods and if so, I would chose between the two solid wood Weissenborns. Laminated is not an option for me.
I owned several original Weissenborn and Konas over the years, still have a Style 4 of each. Had contact both with Weissenborn.ES (purchased a Style 1 once) and Bediaz - both companies we're very nice.
Are the difference between laminated and solid a big of a deal for a beginner? I’ve played guitar for 14 years and a little bit of lap steel. Is it the worth the extra cash for a beginner?
Old 06-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Not only in my opinion a solid wood instruments offers more sonic quality compared to a laminated wood built. And comparing the price tags on Anderton, Weissenborn.ES and Bediaz I can see that the laminated Anderton is the most expensive: 479 English pounds vs. 479 €. Maybe the installed pickup could be one reason for the higher price of the Anderton. But I don't like barn door under saddle pickups anyway, and especially in Weissenborns USTs they are not the best way to transform the acoustic slide sound into a decent amplified sound. IMHO. If you need an installed pickup, there are many good ways for installing later. You can send a PM whenever you want. And if you don't need a pickup in your Weissenborn, why would you spend money for it ?

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-25-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomis View Post
Are the difference between laminated and solid a big of a deal for a beginner? I’ve played guitar for 14 years and a little bit of lap steel. Is it the worth the extra cash for a beginner?
When I was on my search for a Weissenborn I tried the two goldtone models (LM - laminate and SM - solid) the solid wood one sounded much better then the laminate one.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 06-25-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:51 AM

I think I’m going with this on:

As far as I understand it’s Solid mahogany. But how do I know if it’s not laminated solid wood?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomis View Post
I think I’m going with this on:

As far as I understand it’s Solid mahogany. But how do I know if it’s not laminated solid wood?

The description says "Made entirely of solid mahogany wood"...

That means it's all wood, no laminate...

If you see "solid mahogany top, mahogany back and sides", then the back and sides are laminate...

Looks like a nice instrument...
Old 06-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Thanks everybody, I think I’m going with the de Diego 3 from Weissenborn.es.
You guys are still welcome to comment and give some advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments