The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default New tele build

This is a combination of a Warmoth swamp ash body in Taos turquoise, MIM neck, CS Nocaster pickups, Fender locking tuners, and Fender American tele bridge with brass saddles. I am quite pleased with this. It's much nicer than I anticipated and the color is really growing on me! This guitar is relatively light (have not weighed it) and very resonant. Strike a note or chord and the vibration just seems to go on forever.

Overall, very happy!20200617_135218.jpg
Old 06-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Sweet! Did you assemble it yourself? Buy the parts individually from different places?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I had my local shop put it together. The parts were all bought separately. I had this neck on a different guitar and really liked it, so I decided to use it on this new build. I have been playing a lot of Teles at shops lately, including American Professionals and Ultras. I think this one easily rivals those in playability and tone. It's just a fabulous guitar!
Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I had my local shop put it together. The parts were all bought separately. I had this neck on a different guitar and really liked it, so I decided to use it on this new build. I have been playing a lot of Teles at shops lately, including American Professionals and Ultras. I think this one easily rivals those in playability and tone. It's just a fabulous guitar!
How do you like the Nocaster pups?
Old 06-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
How do you like the Nocaster pups?
I like them quite a lot. They have the typical tele twang but also sweeten up nicely.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Great looking guitar!
Old 06-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Looks great! Warmoth makes such great necks & bodies. I have a Warmoth Strat (both neck and body) that is one of the best playing and sounding Strats I've ever played. It's 25 years old and my kids will have to decide who gets it when I pass on because it's not leaving the family.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:04 PM

I like it!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

4-way switch or 3-way? What value tone cap?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

3 way switch. Typical tele. Can't remember which value I used to be honest.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Any way you equip it a new tele is a joy.

I recently acquired a shopworn custom tele prototype that my buddy in Albuquerque built out of torrefied wood. Traded him a speaker and cabinet. The pickups were OK but not anything special so I installed a set of Dimarzio noiseless tele pickups. My other tele has a 3 way switch and the cap is .047 so I'd thought I'd go for something different on this one. Wound up with the Dimarzios and a 4-way switch. Cap is .022. Very pleased with how my new tele sounds and plays.

For decades I used .047 in my teles. A friend recently turned me on to what nice things the .022 cap does for a tele. You get a very nice range of tones. Your mileage may vary but it's definitely worth a try. Same thing with the switch––never thought I'd want a 4-way switch but I like it a lot.

I hope you enjoy playing your new tele as much as I'm enjoying mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.jpg (41.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-18-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Any way you equip it a new tele is a joy.

I recently acquired a shopworn custom tele prototype that my buddy in Albuquerque built out of torrefied wood. Traded him a speaker and cabinet. The pickups were OK but not anything special so I installed a set of Dimarzio noiseless tele pickups. My other tele has a 3 way switch and the cap is .047 so I'd thought I'd go for something different on this one. Wound up with the Dimarzios and a 4-way switch. Cap is .022. Very pleased with how my new tele sounds and plays.

For decades I used .047 in my teles. A friend recently turned me on to what nice things the .022 cap does for a tele. You get a very nice range of tones. Your mileage may vary but it's definitely worth a try. Same thing with the switch––never thought I'd want a 4-way switch but I like it a lot.

I hope you enjoy playing your new tele as much as I'm enjoying mine!
I went back and checked and it is indeed a .022 capacitor. It was a complete "Toneshaper" kit off of Amazon. It looks like it is no longer available got good reviews when I bought it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars