The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-13-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I'm somewhat new to music recording. A year or so ago I bought a Tascam PortaStudio DP-008EX to play with, and was not happy with the paradigm shift from "knobs" to "Menu Scrolling." I can get decent recordings, but the process is not rewarding to me. I'm a certified analog geezer, and never have embraced the cheap plastic, teeny-tiny world of nested menus, and ludicrously tiny gray type on teensy weenie black plastic buttons.

Since I only do this for my own amusement - as a way to pass the time before "time's up!" - -I enjoy the process of things as much as the outcome. Well, to get on with it, I bought a Fostex X-34 cassette 4-tracker and really enjoyed making tapes! I love the clunky old thing, BUT, it does have some serious performance shortcomings - lacking good bass, lacking decent highs, and I knew when I paid not much for it that it was a cheap-o.

Now, I'd really like to get a HIGH END example of a cassette 4-tracker. Something with semi-pro sort of construction, robustness and great features. Something durable, that will be fun to use.

I've been considering the older Tascams, and now have also discovered the Audio-Technica beast.

I am wondering is anyone is still using these, and has any advice on what units are the "real gems to own"? For example, I know a lot of the Tascam models have a big problem with the plastic buttons busting off. Things like that. I'm not too concerned with the cost of a good unit, but more concerned with quality, robustness, and "vibe".

Thanks for any comments or recs!

Given the physical size limitations of a standard cassette (Aprox. 1/6th of an Inch) being a significant factor in the limited dynamics (which BTW is not going change not matter the quality of the machine)

I would suggest (if you have convinced yourself you must do analog as opposed to digital) and you want the best dynamics, that you forgo cassette and reconsider a 4 channel reel to reel

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-13-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I don't know how practical, or feasible, this would be (don't have the experience and haven't looked into it seriously) but I would think that using a combination of an analog control surface, summing amp, etc in combination with an audio interface and DAW might be a solution. Realizing this is not a low cost solution and not an analog tape sound it seems it could be setup to provide the hands on sliders/knobs etc that the OP desires and could be very high quality (depending on the gear used).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD