The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Default NUPM, Flatiron prototype Oval A

picked up recently, story goes.........after the big flood in nashvegas, was found downtown upstairs and was put away for a while, sold at an employee auction, then found its way to me last week.

excellent projection, thick woody tone, well rounded notes all the way up to about 16/17th fret, then things get a little plunky(really tiny frets). flat fretboard, TR that works very nice, with neotech strap weighs in under 2 lbs, sits balanced to play, love the neck profile, 1 1/8" nut width, bone nut, rosewood FB and bridge. the tiny frets were kinda flat, I leveled the 8th and 13th, put a dome on everybody, shined things up, and it plays like a dream. almost no relief in the neck and the bridge just about dead flat-slightly elevated on the e side. really fun to play and sounds really big and full.
tortoise top binding and around the oval hole. I didn't care for the black plastic TR cover, cut out one in tortoise but in the end put the black back on. I know where some vintage, real abalone Gibson style are and I may put one of those on it. inlay is a pretty abalone-almost pearl look. tuners work smooth and effortless(unlike many high dollar mandolins) and hold tuning perfect. intonated very well. overall a real sweetheart with a loud voice and presence. in time I may put some slightly larger frets, but its really good right now as is.

Last edited by darylcrisp; 04-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:08 AM

Interesting mandolin, Daryl. I’m jealous!

Flatiron created some fine-sounding mandolins when they put X-bracing on arched top mandolins. I’ve never played one with an oval soundhole, just f holes, but given that I tend to like oval soundhole mandolins more than those built with f holes, I bet I’d love it.

If you ever get tired of it, in all seriousness, let me know.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-28-2020, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Outstanding, Daryl... that looks great. Congratulations... hope you enjoy.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM

Great story and pictures! Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Interesting mandolin, Daryl. I’m jealous!

Flatiron created some fine-sounding mandolins when they put X-bracing on arched top mandolins. I’ve never played one with an oval soundhole, just f holes, but given that I tend to like oval soundhole mandolins more than those built with f holes, I bet I’d love it.

If you ever get tired of it, in all seriousness, let me know.

Wade Hampton Miller
Will do, it's a very cool mando!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments