The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Taylor posted this to their YouTube today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYDyb1lLuI

Am I the only one who finds the Taylor marketing department to be a bit much? Nothing against these guitars at all. In fact, I think the Mahogany version sounds warmer and better than most Taylor guitars. However, they push these models as if they have completely revolutionized guitar building. Larrivee and even Gibson (I am sure there are other companies), have been making all solid wood, US made, affordable guitars for years. Taylor simply took out the cosmetic pieces, used some more affordable woods and put out a new model. Again, I think they sound quite nice, I just hate the way they market lately.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Am I the only one who finds the Taylor marketing department to be a bit much? Nothing against these guitars at all. In fact, I think the Mahogany version sounds warmer and better than most Taylor guitars. However, they push these models as if they have completely revolutionized guitar building. Larrivee and even Gibson (I am sure there are other companies), have been making all solid wood, US made, affordable guitars for years. Taylor simply took out the cosmetic pieces, used some more affordable woods and put out a new model. Again, I think they sound quite nice, I just hate the way they market lately.
Nope. You’re not alone. The V-bracing. Intro of the Grand Pacific body style. In both those rollouts the marketing department was in overdrive to the chagrin of even those (like me) who generally respect Bob, Andy and their company. Now the marketing folks make it sound like Taylor is doing a noble, public service simply by joining others in producing inexpensive, USA-made guitars.

But, hey, that’s what marketing departments are for, right?

Old 07-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Here is a great little snippet from Andy Powers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EwZO5F35gw

On a related note, I listened to the latest Taylor primetime episode on YouTube and during the Q&A someone asked about the D’Addario strings included on these and the reply was these were the strings that were available- thus confirming that the switch was prompted by the shortage. But they also mentioned that they hold D’Addario in high regard and these have been the standard strings on the Taylor nylon and GS mini basses.
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
It's the same as in Portugal. It's the main cause of wildfires.
Sorry to hear it. I’m kind of allergic to ‘em and just not a fan. Dirty, messy trees. Ruined many a nice campground in this state.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Gotta say I kinda like the blacktop , I had a Yairi Sitka top ovankol back and sides it is a pretty wood kinda like in-between rosewood and mahogany in tone . I also like the NO es2 option . I got to say I love an all hog guitar but wish they'd just do the flat finish shaded edge burst stuff , I also wish they'd do the v brace on a more traditional D models or GA models .
Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM

Default AD17E - Wish I'd tried the AD27

I purchased an AD17E online which arrived around the first of July. I'm a few hours from any guitar shops that would carry these so I didn't get to play one first. I haven't been a fan of the sound of the new V bracing in general, as I feel it has made the already typically bright Taylor sound much brighter, or even thinner, but thought with the larger slope shoulder dread body shape it might provide more "fullness", with improved intonation. I went on vacation the day it arrived, and went beyond my return period, so I've tried to play it for the past couple of months with a couple of different sets of strings, but just a little too bright for me. I'm wondering if the AD27 would have been a better choice. I'll probably put this up for sale on reverb, but respond to this message if you might be interested in a very slightly used AD17E, or if you've played or have any comments on the AD27. I appreciate any comments you might have.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27R View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the ways they were getting the price down on these was to use unevenly-grained spruce tops, maybe even tops with runout etc... so the black ones will be the most cosmetically-challenged, no doubt.
That's what I'd think. I was told by a Seagull dealer that that was the difference between the Entourage and S6 series - if the top had grain imperfections, it became an Entourage with the rustic finish.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Taylor - the Apple of guitars. Nothing wrong with that!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Love the American dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
That's interesting. I stand somewhat corrected on my earlier assertion that the black is more of an aesthetic choice. I do think they're definitely after the same visual look as the (current) Martin 17 series and the Waterloo guitars, but it does appear Taylor has some lower-grade woods that they'll utilize in this series.

I think it's expected that Taylor would use the lower grade stuff on the lower-cost guitars, but it's interesting and, honestly, refreshing for them to call it out here. I'll be curious to see what that looks like when we start seeing photos of guitars that aren't stock/promotional imaime ai loneges.
, it thnk it's great Taylor came out with
an offordable guitar to represent the struggles we all went through. It hits the mark. And will warm up with time. I love the cosmetic discrepancies and am amazed with some of the sonic surprise's that come out of it
Old 07-02-2021, 08:25 PM

Taylor like Apple? No, not even close. Taylor actually makes high quality pieces that genuinely work great, LOL!

Look, it's marketing. Yeah, I get what the general tenor is, truly. I wouldn't do it, personally, but then again I'm not running a ridiculously successful company that turned the music world and guitar industry on its ear, and this in a scant few decades. So yeah, I can criticize the overzealous ad copy. But two things still ring true despite it:

1. Taylor builds genuinely fine guitars whose tone and craftsmanship holds its own, even from the lowest tier to their top end that can and do compare with the very best. This is indisputable; the market and musicians have spoken loudly here.

2. Taylor cares for its customers. Original owners, those who bought em used, doesn't matter: Taylor consistently serves its customers with a level of service and dedication that borders on perfection.

So get over whatever marketing aversion you have. All companies do this to some level because --guess what-- they want you to think they are the best. Um, duh! I have long come to look past the ad spin. And for me, at least they haven't done the absolute stupidest thing that many corporations have done and taken a political stance. So I cut Taylor and some manufactures slack with zealous ad copy. But if they step over this line, yeah, I'd dump those that choose to dump on me. Just sayin

Edward
Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Taylor like Apple? No, not even close. Taylor actually makes high quality pieces that genuinely work great, LOL!

Look, it's marketing. Yeah, I get what the general tenor is, truly. I wouldn't do it, personally, but then again I'm not running a ridiculously successful company that turned the music world and guitar industry on its ear, and this in a scant few decades. So yeah, I can criticize the overzealous ad copy. But two things still ring true despite it:

1. Taylor builds genuinely fine guitars whose tone and craftsmanship holds its own, even from the lowest tier to their top end that can and do compare with the very best. This is indisputable; the market and musicians have spoken loudly here.

2. Taylor cares for its customers. Original owners, those who bought em used, doesn't matter: Taylor consistently serves its customers with a level of service and dedication that borders on perfection.

So get over whatever marketing aversion you have. All companies do this to some level because --guess what-- they want you to think they are the best. Um, duh! I have long come to look past the ad spin. And for me, at least they haven't done the absolute stupidest thing that many corporations have done and taken a political stance. So I cut Taylor and some manufactures slack with zealous ad copy. But if they step over this line, yeah, I'd dump those that choose to dump on me. Just sayin

Edward
Agreed. It's a little strange how many people get hung up on their marketing - I don't see why it would bother anyone.
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion