The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Default K&K Trinity vs. Pure Mini

Curious to hear from those who have experience with both the Trinity and Pure Mini.

I wonder if the addition of the goose neck mic on the Trinity is a significant improvement to the Pure Mini or is it just asking for feedback issues?

Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
Curious to hear from those who have experience with both the Trinity and Pure Mini.

I wonder if the addition of the goose neck mic on the Trinity is a significant improvement to the Pure Mini or is it just asking for feedback issues?

Thoughts?
As an FOH mixer I've seen exactly one Trinity, and it was on a Martin Dread. The guy worked standing up. To me, it sounded as good as if I had miked the guitar with one of that venue's SM58's, with the advantage being that the artist didn't have to stay glued to one spot. He was solo, so no feedback issues, but in a band context there may have been. But the Trinity comes with a mixer/preamp, right? So you can kill the mic if you have to?

One other thing -- that sort of arrangement works well on big guitars, but for really small guitars like O-size or a GS mini, the mic's not in the ideal spot, which for me is usually a little southwest of the bridge. And on the outside, obviously.

Couch Standards
Old 06-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post

Thoughts?
Hi jta

Until upgrading my system to a Pure Mini plus ToneDexter, I've used the K&K Pure Mini plus internal mic for about 15 years. I have them in a Dreadnought, two OMs, and a Mini-Jumbo. They work well in all of them regardless of size. The preamp is as important as the pickup, and decent dual source preamps (which feed power to the internal mic) are $300 and up.

The Pure Mini by itself with a good preamp vastly improves the naturalness of the guitar through PA or amp. Add the mic, and a great dual source preamp, and the experience is even more natural.

Feedback is easily dealt with by using a feedback suppressor (black plug in the soundhole).

Both are very workable in live settings wight a good preamp, and can handle moderately loud volumes even without the suppressor. But spend the extra $5 and get a Planet Waves soundhole cover (Amazon's price).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-20-2020, 04:41 PM

Using K&K Trinity for 15 years and hundreds of gigs exclusively (before switching to other SBTs) I do not want to miss the mic. It sure is a significant improvement sound wise. I tried many internal mics and think the K&K mic is a fine one: great sound and less feedback sensitive compared to the internal mics Fishman, Baggs or Highlander use.
I play in acoustic duo, trio and quartet line ups, have control over sound and monitor placement and stage level and have no problems with feedback. But I would not use it in high level applications.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
…But I would not use it in high level applications.
Hi guitarman

Nice to be able to control the environment. I seldom do not play in bands and fairly aggressive stage situations.

That's where the rubber soundhole plug comes in, and a decent preamp, and a phase switch for the mic. For some reason (I'm guessing a physical one) it throws the internal mic out of phase when I plug the soundhole, and the phase switch puts it back to my normal sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-20-2020, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

I have 3 instruments with K&K’s, one with a trinity setup, one with a Power Duo and one with a mini, of the three, Trinity hands down, I’ve never had feedback with the Trinity, if $ were no object I’d have Trinity’s in the other two guitars ..... and I play through a tonedexter! I really like the blend of the 3 pickups when tied into the tonedexter, more depth, more clarity, more warmth
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I have the Pure in my Taylor all-mahogany GC. The sound is good, but it is a bit bass heavy which needs mucho roll back on the low end EQ.

I have the Trininty in my Martin 00-18 and McIlroy A30c, two guitars that are QUITE different in tonal palette. I use the K&K blender pre-amp and use >50 on the mic and <50 on the SBT. They sound glorious!

If you have the Trinity, you can always blend out the mic in stage situations that are problematic.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:18 PM

I've been using the Trinity in my OM42 with Raven Labs PMB-1 and other custom preamps. The mic is surely a big improvement; now I'm trying it with Sunnaudio MS-2... love the sound!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Is the Trinity a significantly more involved install? I know the Pure Mini alone is simple.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Pretty simple: The mic is already soldered to the endpin jack. Trinity comes with double side tape and velcro. You install the mic at the edge of the soundhole, much easier than installing the pickup.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

There seems to be some debate about how to affix the sensors and mic. Glue, putty, double sided tape???

Is there a clear best practice here?
Old 06-26-2020, 02:00 PM

I prefer super glue - gives you more definition, detail and gain . Tape is ok, never tried putty on the K&K.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification