The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 AM

Default Unloved Goya G410 12 string

Hello everybody,

As I couldn’t find an introduction topic I’ll quickly do it here before I get to real questions.
Lisko, nearly 36. Proud owner of a dog, two chickens, a black Fender CC60, and accidental owner of a banged up Goya.

So, the real questions.

Yesterday I bought an unloved Goya G410 12 string (made in Korea) for a song and a whistle.

It is pretty banged up but the cosmetic part of it is not my main concern.

The one I’m worried about is that the bridge is lifting pretty bad in the back. Now I’m going to honest and tell you that I never did any big things on my ‘good’ guitar, let alone remove a bolted bridge. The bolts are covered with something that looks like mother-of-pearl, inlayed pretty tight. Now, I’ve heard that that stuff is poisonous (is that true?). So, how do I remove it, and how do I replace it after I have taken the bridge of and reglued and rebolted it (I make it sound like I know what I’m doing, which is obviously not the case). I managed to remove the nuts from the bolts, as they were already coming away.
Everything is really old. The bridge pins, of which there were only 9, broke and crumbled when I pulled them out. There were 3 and a half strings on the poor thing.

Another concern is that the body (the part that rests on your legs) is damaged on the top. Parts of the wood are missing and the crack connected to it, is through and through. When I put a torch in it I see light coming through the crack. It’s really really tight, and I can push it closed with my bare hands. I’m considering glueing it shut with a proper wood glue, and clamp it for a while before I repair the top with liquid wood.
I know I’ll never be able to repair it as to make it invisible but I don’t mind seeing it, as long as it is not a structural problem anymore.

The neck seems straight, and the back is fine, it needs a ton of cleaning and some oil on the fingerboard, I know how to do that.

What I need is some advice on the scary things.

I can post pictures as soon as I’ve figured out how to that here, I saw a topic about it somewhere.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
I can post pictures as soon as I’ve figured out how to that here, I saw a topic about it somewhere.
Welcome to the AGF. Here you go... try this thread. Since you are not yet a charter member, you have two ways to post pics... use the Tapatalk app or a third-party host. If you wish to become a charter member, you may attach pictures directly from your computer. PM me if you have questions. Enjoy the forum.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:58 AM

The bridge before I removed the bridge pins and strings.

The damaged part of the body.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:00 AM

Thank you! I did figure it out, it just took a minute and some cursing.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you! I did figure it out, it just took a minute and some cursing.
Glad I could help. Lol... and thanks for keeping the language off the forum.

Next time, it'll be a breeze.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Hello everybody,

As I couldn’t find an introduction topic I’ll quickly do it here before I get to real questions.
Lisko, nearly 36. Proud owner of a dog, two chickens, a black Fender CC60, and accidental owner of a banged up Goya.

So, the real questions.

Yesterday I bought an unloved Goya G410 12 string (made in Korea) for a song and a whistle.

It is pretty banged up but the cosmetic part of it is not my main concern.

The one I’m worried about is that the bridge is lifting pretty bad in the back. Now I’m going to honest and tell you that I never did any big things on my ‘good’ guitar, let alone remove a bolted bridge. The bolts are covered with something that looks like mother-of-pearl, inlayed pretty tight. Now, I’ve heard that that stuff is poisonous (is that true?). So, how do I remove it, and how do I replace it after I have taken the bridge of and reglued and rebolted it (I make it sound like I know what I’m doing, which is obviously not the case). I managed to remove the nuts from the bolts, as they were already coming away.
Everything is really old. The bridge pins, of which there were only 9, broke and crumbled when I pulled them out. There were 3 and a half strings on the poor thing.

Another concern is that the body (the part that rests on your legs) is damaged on the top. Parts of the wood are missing and the crack connected to it, is through and through. When I put a torch in it I see light coming through the crack. It’s really really tight, and I can push it closed with my bare hands. I’m considering glueing it shut with a proper wood glue, and clamp it for a while before I repair the top with liquid wood.
I know I’ll never be able to repair it as to make it invisible but I don’t mind seeing it, as long as it is not a structural problem anymore.

The neck seems straight, and the back is fine, it needs a ton of cleaning and some oil on the fingerboard, I know how to do that.

What I need is some advice on the scary things.

Tbe mother of pearl is mother of plastic. I'd drill the little mop caps out assuming they dont just pop out with some pursuasion. The challenge here is gluing the bridge without the help of proper clamps which are deep c shaped clamps. Perhaps you could apply weight to it. You'll want to scrape off the old glue. It's bolted and that improves the chances of a positive outcome.

You are spot on for the side repair. Glue and tape. As for the gouge ... plastic wood probably as good as any option. Never going to be pretty.

Fix it up. String it up. Play a nice tune for the your dog after a chicken dinner.

Last edited by cyclistbrian; 06-24-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair