The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-09-2020, 11:15 PM

Default Suggest me a Classical

I had a yahama C-40 and a LaPatrie Etude which after 15 years, I tripped in the dark when I had the flu and stepped on it. It was 300 in 2006 but I was happy at the time the tone seemed great but I guess my ear got jaded and it seemed flubby and not crisp. As you can guess by my name Classical is not my bread n butter style. It is more for my own pleasure. So looking for a new guitar. Nobody has a lot and the GC stock is always really questionable. There is the classical guitar shop in Philly but the seem like 1500 and up is where there is more selection, remember them having more stock. So looking to upgrade from the Lapatrie, I don't want electronics cut away or narrow necks. I am wondering if Ebony and Spruce are the way to go and I like solid top and back,like my dreads. I see a lot of woods used I have never heard of so like to stay traditional. So would like a used one, to save cash but not sure what a sort of price range such an item would run. Trying to keep the cost reasonable, but one mans reasonable is anothers are you crazy. 600-1000 but a bit more might be do able
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

A Cordoba C10 classical is one you should consider. They are well made with spruce or a cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. Many people are pleased with them and used or seconds are easy to find online.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:00 AM

Offkey's recommendation is solid. I've owned 5 models from the Protege to the C12, they're all good. Lots of other builders and eras to favorably mention, but Cordoba is consistently fine and available.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:15 AM

$600-$1,000 can go a long way toward getting you a good used classical guitar. And I ratify your strategy to actually play it before buying.
In a nearby location close to Philadelphia, a seller on craigslist is selling a classical guitar he originally purchased new from the same Philadelphia Classical Guitar Store you mention. He bought it new in 1987 and is a cedar top and rosewood back classical in your price range too.
Might be good to give a holler.
Send me a private message if you need more info.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
$600-$1,000 can go a long way toward getting you a good used classical guitar. And I ratify your strategy to actually play it before buying.
In a nearby location close to Philadelphia, a seller on craigslist is selling a classical guitar he originally purchased new from the same Philadelphia Classical Guitar Store you mention. He bought it new in 1987 and is a cedar top and rosewood back classical in your price range too.
Might be good to give a holler.
Send me a private message if you need more info.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Some question for you, I have no knowledge of this brand. Or if the guy took a no name and put a label in , but in person I guess the quality will show. From the pictures I assume it looks legit. I have seen some on Flea bay that are 2-3k and an beat up ast 50 is 650. Do they have that wide a range in prices, or might this be issue hidden by the price. So guess what I mean is this a ball park price. Next I read once that the ceadar tops reach a point say 30-40 years and the begin to loose their sound, Pure BS like old strat remolo springs made a difference in tone . Still makes some sense as never hear much in the vintage world about a 1921.....by maker X.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM

Another vote for Córdoba. I’ve got a C9 crossover...very happy with it. Amazed at the overall quality at that price point.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

The Cordobas have a nice modern build. A somewhat slim comfortable neck, a truss rod, and a lively sound. They are a great place to start and move up if necessary, or a great place to start and play for decades.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 PM

Here is sound and video link to 1966 cedar top classical guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxj3R8UPusU
Contacting the seller should provide a lot of information and answer questions about this one owner guitar.
As for his asking price, it seems in the ball park compared to other 1980's Asturias, though most buyers routinely inquire if offers are considered. I would offer anything around $500 if it is in good condition.
One factor in favor of this opportunity is that you can call the Philadephia Classical Guitar Store and find out about this particular guitar they sold. The guys are reputed to be very friendly there. The website for the store says they will provide consultation and advice help about guitars over the phone. Foot traffic however is closed for time being.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Kenny Hill New World Player guitars are all solid wood, can be bought used with in your price range, and can be gotten with a variety of scale lengths depending on your wants and desires. I have a spruce/rosewood 628 player that I enjoy.
Lots of folks on that forum have recommended Pavan guitars on similar threads- which can be purchased used with in your price range and are solid wood guitars. I have no personal experience with them but they seem to be well received.
Good luck with your search,
Tom
Old 06-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Found a GiambattistaG8, the write sounds good, better the I deserve , it is at a Music Ground shop in upstate PA, the price I saw new was 2750.00 at the Philly CGS but they wanted 799.00. Seems a steal but then again bargains make me leery. I know a martin dread naught used would not take such a hit unless there was an issue? But then I wonder if the demand in the Pro and Low end used market is very different then for what I see as a high end student guitar
Old 06-11-2020, 11:50 AM

The G8 has higher grade woods (S/R) than my G6b, which is brighter than the darker Spanish tone. I have it in my mind that the Spanish sound is on the darker side, my Picado 54 (C/R) certainly is. Since the G8 is an 'in store pickup', I gather that you are nearby, and for $800 with no issues, it would be a worthwhile tryout, a bucket-load less than what I paid for the G6b new.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:47 AM

Another vote for Cordoba

And if you're interested, here is a recording of my Cordoba Fusion, which is a nylon string crossover. This one is Spruce over Rosewood, but as you've seen, they come in lots of wood combinations.

https://youtu.be/vJWaMbCDj6c

Hope that helps in your search,
Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical