The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Ok Guys thanks so much for your replies, You are all right with what you say it is indeed NOT fret wear. and it's certainly not divots either....

I found out exactly what it is, I took it to my luthier and got him to have a quick look at it and straight away he knew what it was.

Because my strat has a maple neck which is lacquered, The frets simply have a bit of residual lacquer left on them from when the neck was done. It's this lacquer that i've gradually started working off of the frets with natural play. I've been looking around on strat talk and other forum sites and alot of people have said the same thing, some people have they've polished their frets to get all the leftover lacquer off and got them smooth as silk and others have just naturally worked it off the frets with natural play.

So yeah, in conclusion its nothing to worry about and certainly not fret wear =P my mind is now at ease.
Thanks for the update. You're good to go!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Foxhound,

Get yourself a fret shield (thin piece of stainless steel with a slot to go over the fret) so you're not scouring the the finish on the maple. They're cheap on Amazon or eBay. Lay the shield over the culprit fret and scour off the lacquer with a green Scotchbrite pad. If your like your frets really slick you can progress to grey scotchbrite and/or metal polish. Alternately, you can use 400- 1200 grit wet or dry papers.

Be prepared to really like how that fret feels and you're likely going to want to do them all.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for the update. You're good to go!
Cheers Dru. Case closed basically haha =P
Old 10-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Foxhound,

Get yourself a fret shield (thin piece of stainless steel with a slot to go over the fret) so you're not scouring the the finish on the maple. They're cheap on Amazon or eBay. Lay the shield over the culprit fret and scour off the lacquer with a green Scotchbrite pad. If your like your frets really slick you can progress to grey scotchbrite and/or metal polish. Alternately, you can use 400- 1200 grit wet or dry papers.

Be prepared to really like how that fret feels and you're likely going to want to do them all.
Thanks Roy I will look into that. appreciate it =)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Thanks Roy I will look into that. appreciate it =)
This is what Roy is referring to. I have a couple of fretboard guards, although you'd probably want to remove the strings first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars