The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2020, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default La Tortuga-Caster.....new progress pictures!

.....for obvious reasons.........

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 10-12-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:47 PM

I really like this, and if it were me I'd keep it minimalist in appearance: concealed pickups a la the stillborn '65 Fender Marauder (possibly with exposed adjustable polepieces), dark rosewood control knobs/pickup selector switch tip (to blend in with the pickguard), and a matching tortoise headstock overlay/tuner buttons...

Looking forward to seeing/hearing it when you're done...
Old 06-15-2020, 03:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I really like this, and if it were me I'd keep it minimalist in appearance: concealed pickups a la the stillborn '65 Fender Marauder (possibly with exposed adjustable polepieces), dark rosewood control knobs/pickup selector switch tip (to blend in with the pickguard), and a matching tortoise headstock overlay/tuner buttons...

Looking forward to seeing/hearing it when you're done...
Hi Steve,
Great minds, yada, etc.

The Marauder was the FIRST thing I thought of, but there was a reason it had issues, so I went with the second guess, from a Gretsch Guy, no less!

It'll have gold concentric knobs, but the 3 way switch will have a tortoise barrel style.

The drilling, as you can well imagine, is going to be very, very critical. 24 holes, and I get one chance per pickguard.........in any case here's a couple of shots of my Slabstrat, and the headstock of that neck, which is currently on La Tortugacaster. You'll notice the nude pickup laying nearby with it's poles extended......

We'll tawk......

HE
Old 06-15-2020, 04:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve,
This is the same neck plate that's on my Slabstrat. I get them done by a former Long Islander who's now in North Carolina. The company is Lazrart Custom Engraving.

I drilled a small access hole for the micro tilt adjustment. It really makes neck angle a cinch.

HE
Old 10-12-2020, 05:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Attention Steve DeRosa

Hi Steve,
The saga of the TortugaCaster continues, but I think it might be more aptly named The Funky Gentleman, for subtle reasons.......dig:

[IMG][/IMG]

The hardest part was deciding how to drill the holes for the pole pieces and height adjustment screws. ONE CHANCE TO DO IT RIGHT. The solution was stupid simple: The bobbin. All it required was a drawn layout on painters tape with indexing marks for pickup location. Then I used carpet tape to fasten the bobbin to the pickguard, and off to the drill press.

I'm very pleased with the results. I also ditched the first neck, and got serious with a Warmoth boatneck profile with 6100SS wire.

Onward,
Howard

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 10-12-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM

Looking good Howard, that tort theme is funky cool! What keeps those DeArmonds affixed to the pickguard?
Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Looking good Howard, that tort theme is funky cool! What keeps those DeArmonds affixed to the pickguard?
Probably some foam rubber underneath them.

The holes are so perfectly sized (Letter B) that they squeak in, but the foam will assure they don’t get other ideas:-)

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars