The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Default D'addario recycling program PSA

I commented in a different thread about this but think it really deserves it's own thread (and I didn't want to further derail that thread).

For those already participating in the program and have a pile of strings sitting around, the shipping weight minimum was reduced to a quarter- pound of strings, or about 10 sets. Today is the last day to print a shipping label to recycle whatever you have now. Otherwise the minimum weight is 2 lbs.

Now onto the main point of this thread. I think it is a great idea to recycle strings and D'addario has a program but there are pros and cons to it;

Pros

-better for the environment

-earn points for free swag from D'addario or donate proceeds to children's music education

-D'addario pays for shipping and will take anything; any alloy, any brand, including your ends clipped after installing

Cons

-a 2 lb. minimum. That is equivalent to 40 sets of strings and would take a long time to reach that,

Now I'm more about the benefit of treating our environment with more respect and the fact that these can be smelted for the production of new strings than getting a new D'addario t-shirt. Having said that I can't think of any other program that will actually encourage us to recycle or to make it as easy as D'addario- so complaining about the one Con seems anemic to me. I would imagine the expense to D'addario to be pretty high in shipping costs and thus the 2 lb. minimum to help them shoulder the program.

Also, you can drop them off at select retailers in your area; you can find out here who they are

http://playback.daddario.com/#@40.77...49677736zoom:4

I'm not sure how they would honor your points for swag using the drop off method or if they even do. I'm guessing you probably can't collect points that way.

So yes, there is that one limitation to the program but none of us have pulled together our collective minds to create a better method.

Of my soapbox now- thank you for reading!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Guest 33123

It is awesome of D'Addario to do this but unfortunately it's not available to us Canadians. A local guitar shop used to do recycle them and send them to less fortunate countries but the shop closed down. So into the metal recycling they go now which I guess is better than nothing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion