The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Gibson Parlor Models

Hey All,

I am in need of an acoustic with a cutaway for an upcoming 3-day workshop and for my general progress in finger style. My primary finger style acoustic is my 2001 Froggy Bottom P10. Forever in love with that guitar but i just cannot adjust my technique to be fluid up around the 14th and 15th frets even when practicing more classical guitar position techniques.

Ran across a 2018 Gibson parlor rosewood/sitka and was really impressed. It played and sounded better than many of the larger, more expensive cutaway guitars in the room. I looked up some older threads on this guitar but did not want to hijack one:

- any updates from folks that own this guitar?
- can anyone explain the differences between the Gibson Modern and Avant
Garde models. I searched all over, including the Gibson acoustics sites, and
cannot figure this out.

Final note. This was at a GC. Very nice and accommodating people that were patient and helpful. The Gibson parlor they had is a 2018, was dusty and had oxidation on the strings that was visible from 8 feet away. When i mentioned that they may want to clean it up and put on fresh strings to encourage a sale, they said they might throw in a re-string if some purchases it. Not sure anyone would buy that specific instrument in that shape though... I was not interestd in that one specifically as i am out of state on a business trip and did not want to mess with shipping or airlines...

Thanks as always for your help!
Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I bought a used AG rosewood parlor within the last month (from the Forum). It was a crap shoot, since I had never played one, nor even heard of them until I saw the ad. I was looking for a smaller sized R/S guitar that might "impersonate" my McIlroy A30c. I had been dickering with another forumite about a CEO-7 in RW but we couldn't settle, and the Gibson just popped up one late evening!

It is a fine guitar with good volume, sustain and projection. It came with JP Lights and they sound good. Better tuned to DADGAD. I think it will be even fuller with JP New Mediums, but want to get a few months out of the strings it shipped with.It is a fantastic couch player. It started a little boxy, but either I've grown used to it, or it's opened up a little, as I wouldn't call it boxy anymore.

Two idiosyncrasies I've noticed are:

The saddle is notched BUT the D and G strings can come out of their groove with hard strumming. All of a sudden, your picking fingers will be buzzing strings like mad and you'll have to pop them back. There's plenty of break angle, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

The nut width is a tweener (1-23/32") and the neck shape worried my index palm knuckle a bit in the beginning, though it is no longer a problem. It is also only 2-3/16" (plus a smidgen) at the saddle. Depending on what you used to, that may be problematic.

Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2019, 07:44 AM

I absolutely love mine, I have the model you are interested in. It is especially good for fingerstyle and is just a beautiful sounding guitar that keeps getting better, surprising projection and warmth with Martin retros

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion