The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-17-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Really, Freudian slip? O:-)
Careful now, we can love nylon strings without getting all religious about it
That's hilarious, I can't be that witty for real. Thanks for pointing out rabbi instead of rabbit, fixed it

Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-22-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I've always had a soft spot for the sound of nylon.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyse Hazuky View Post
I've recently traded my 2 Martins for a great concert grade Cedar top classical.. And I'm actually weighing trading my remaining steel string, a Lowden, for a similar quality Spruce top..

Mmmm… Lowden... I would hold on to that one! I've got an Avalon L32c and hope have it for many years. Something special about those Irish steel strings. But everyone has their own journey to travel, so do whatever floats your boat and enjoy!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
That's hilarious, I can't be that witty for real.
And to be honest, the stage for me seeing the wit had already been set since a few posts before
Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 PM
some guy from NY

Day by day, my new nylon string is growing on me. I gotta get a strap button and strap though and then I'll probably wear the darn thing to bed ..... I'm lovin' it so much.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Mmmm… Lowden... I would hold on to that one! I've got an Avalon L32c and hope have it for many years. Something special about those Irish steel strings. But everyone has their own journey to travel, so do whatever floats your boat and enjoy!
Thanks.. maybe I need to try something different (new strings, new tunes) to rediscover it and make it indispensable for me again..

EDIT: That being said, my classical is getting 100% playing time. I just can't seem to make steel strings sound as expressive without sounding soft.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I just can't seem to make steel strings sound as expressive without sounding soft.
I think that's the main problem I have with steel too, and it may be something where our ears have been "perverted" by amplification too (which allows you to "sound soft" without actually being at a ppp level). Nylon and carbon trebles can sound thin too but that's a sign you need a heavier gauge; find the right gauge and to me they only sound soft/thin when you want them to. And you don't get that impression that you're cutting yourself for nothing

Why not grab a set of nylon ball-end strings (EJ33 for instance) and put those on your Lowden? Action will be too low and the trebles won't sit right in their slots but at least you'll get an idea if there's an interest to adapting it (nut & saddle job mostly). My guess is that the instrument will retain its characteristic voice, and if ever you need to play steel strings again it's trivial to convert it back.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 AM

^It certainly won't hurt to try..
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
^It certainly won't hurt to try..
No it won't, and I'd be really curious to know what you find out if you do!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Welcome. I've lost all love for steel strings.
There was a point about a year ago I'd have echoed your sentiment but realized some time later that all I like to do cannot be rendered on classical alone. No matter how I render it, nylon cannot deliver Little Martha like steel can. So, I broke down and bought another steel string for the times I need it.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 AM

Which is why I kept 1 steel string guitar.. Plus, it's a Froggy Bottom, I simply couldn't part with it.. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
There was a point about a year ago I'd have echoed your sentiment but realized some time later that all I like to do cannot be rendered on classical alone. No matter how I render it, nylon cannot deliver Little Martha like steel can. So, I broke down and bought another steel string for the times I need it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
I'd love to hear it someday! You made my day - in a perfect world we'd be able to play it together!

warts and all.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post

warts and all.
that was fantastic! Thanks so much for recording this and sharing with us...beautiful playing and your guitar sounds perfect for this piece. Love what you did with the arrangement and just wish i was in the pew the Sunday you lay it on the folks!!

day made, your fan,
dale
Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
that was fantastic! Thanks so much for recording this and sharing with us...beautiful playing and your guitar sounds perfect for this piece. Love what you did with the arrangement and just wish i was in the pew the Sunday you lay it on the folks!!

day made, your fan,
dale
Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words.

This was played on the Epi Hummingbird I just bought and mic'ed with a Line 6 SonicPort VX in stereo. I'm learning quickly that mic placement can bring out the best (or the worst) of a guitar, and that placing it well can make it sound great.

Yeah, I know I posted a steel-string recording in a nylon string thread, but I learned it from your Nylacaster video and I do play it on my classical sometimes.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words.

This was played on the Epi Hummingbird I just bought and mic'ed with a Line 6 SonicPort VX in stereo. I'm learning quickly that mic placement can bring out the best (or the worst) of a guitar, and that placing it well can make it sound great.

Yeah, I know I posted a steel-string recording in a nylon string thread, but I learned it from your Nylacaster video and I do play it on my classical sometimes.
I got confused when I heard......what I thought was a steel string on a nylon string thread. Thanks for clarifying, thought I was either stroking out or having a 70's acid flashback

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical