The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 AM

Used HD-28V? Very nice necks IMO.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Used HD-28V? Very nice necks IMO.
Yes, except it only comes with a 1 11/16 nut mod-v neck. OP says he needs a 1 3/4 nut...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Yes, except it only comes with a 1 11/16 nut mod-v neck. OP says he needs a 1 3/4 nut...

My mistake, thought the neck was the same as my OM.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
As another member pointed out the 2018 reimagined HD-28 now has the 1-3/4"(same with 2019). So seeking a guitar that sounds your HD28 but with a 1-3/4" nut width is not a tall order. Martin makes exactly what you are asking for, easy peasy.
I talked to John at My Favorite Guitars. He set me up with an HD28E at an excellent price, and I get to pick it up at the Martin factory!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
I talked to John at My Favorite Guitars. He set me up with an HD28E at an excellent price, and I get to pick it up at the Martin factory!
Whoa! That’s the guitar trifecta...an iconic Martin guitar from a great AGF sponsor and you get to pick it up at the factory. Good for you. Congrats!

Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What Roy said above

Well done and thanks for letting us know. Congratulations

I gotta say John is the best. I asked a question regarding Martins here on the forum and he took it upon himself to email me with answers. That was really impressive as I have never communicated with him in the past and he doesn't know me from Adam.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Yeah...Jon is a great guy. I've done many guitar deals with him. Top shelf customer service and great pricing. Just curious which pickup system you got in your HD-28E...Fishman or Baggs?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 PM

New M-36 has forward shifted scalloped bracing and a 1.75 neck too.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yeah...Jon is a great guy. I've done many guitar deals with him. Top shelf customer service and great pricing. Just curious which pickup system you got in your HD-28E...Fishman or Baggs?
I went with Fishman in the HD28E. This guitar will replace my HD28 and the DCX1E I've been using, and should be everything I'm looking for. Great HD28 sound, a 1 3/4 inch nut width that I'm very comfortable with and top shelf electronics.

At the suggestion of other forum members I looked into getting a D21 Special. One of these would have been a fine guitar for me, but John was able to get me a screamin' deal on the HD28E. Basically the same price others wanted for a D21 Special! So with great electronics already on board it was a no brainer. Plus I can pick it up at the factory? I think I'm going to be a satisfied customer!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I went with Fishman in the HD28E. This guitar will replace my HD28 and the DCX1E I've been using, and should be everything I'm looking for. Great HD28 sound, a 1 3/4 inch nut width that I'm very comfortable with and top shelf electronics.

At the suggestion of other forum members I looked into getting a D21 Special. One of these would have been a fine guitar for me, but John was able to get me a screamin' deal the HD28E. Basically the same price others wanted for the D21 Special! So with great electronics already on board it was a no brainer. Plus I can pick it up at the factory! I think I'm going to be a satisfied customer!
Yes...I'm sure you will be. Congrats...ought to be a fine guitar! Look forward to your thoughts on it once you've gotten acquainted. And BTW...Jon is known for those "screaming' good deals"!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 AM

John is giving me a ballpark date of early May for me to be able to pick up my guitar. Martin is still building it so I just have to wait. I keep checking out sound clips and video reviews of the HD28E online and I'm even more convinced it should be perfect for me. Wish I could press the fast forward button!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Glad you got what you were looking for, but....

I would not buy a Martin RW Dread today without trying out the MD. It’s an HD28 on steroids. Incredible sound, very tasteful aesthetic upgrades. More of everything you like in a Martin.

And just a note on the Hd28V, they can be had with the custom features you seek. My 2016 custom has the 1.75”nut and MLO/HPT neck plus.....Guatemalan Rosewood. Love it. Be sure to try Martin Retro strings on your new HD28 when it’s time to change.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Glad you got what you were looking for, but....

I would not buy a Martin RW Dread today without trying out the MD. It’s an HD28 on steroids. Incredible sound, very tasteful aesthetic upgrades. More of everything you like in a Martin.

And just a note on the Hd28V, they can be had with the custom features you seek. My 2016 custom has the 1.75”nut and MLO/HPT neck plus.....Guatemalan Rosewood. Love it. Be sure to try Martin Retro strings on your new HD28 when it’s time to change.
No need to go custom and pay a premium price. The HD28E has everything I want in a standard Martin model. The reason I'm not satisfied with my HD28 is the 1 11/16ths nut width. I love the sound, and that's the reason I kept it so long. I just got tired of trying to make do with a neck that really didn't fit me. Plus I'll be plugging it in at church and want good electronics. So the HD28E should be just what I need. Great sound, easy playability with the 1 3/4 inch nut and top shelf electronics. All at a killer price from John at My Favorite Guitars and I can pick it up at the factory. Heck the HD28E even has the strap buttons already mounted fore and aft! What more could you want?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Default What more could I want?

The very best craftsmen in the building applying much greater hands-on workmanship to ensure my Martins are as good as they can build them while choosing the best materials in the house. The small premium paid is a bargain.

We all live and learn. This is what Ive learned and Im just trying to share it for others who may read this thread. There are numerous threads here about the inconsistency of Martin production guitars and warnings to always play them in person to make sure you get one you like but you’re doing it your way and that’s fine. I truly hope it works out for you. And one more thing, the pricing you got from MFG is no better than what you can get from several internet Martin dealers all of which can set up a factory delivery.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I think you have chosen well, given your description of your needs and wants.

You will also like the diamonds and squares finger board inlays and the nice tuners.

As a previous post says, give Martin Monels a try down the road on a string change. I put Monel lights and D'Addario NB 1253s on mine and both improved the tone, but the Monels tamed a bit of the D'Addario NB "ZING" to my liking.
I do not need mediums on my dreads. They are plenty loud for my use and the Sitka topped, forward-shifted bracing moves readily enough for me.

Also, give it some time as it is brand new and your current "trusty HD-28" will have aged more. Not a fair fight. The tone improves well and quickly with play time.

Enjoy, once you have it in your hands.

PS I agree that Jon Garon is a superb person to work with for Martin guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion