The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I think I'm there with my electrics. I have three. I bought a fourth but didn't keep it and didn't replace it. I like the three I have - I won't get rid of any of them, but I don't want anything more or better. And I think I'd be fine with my two acoustics as well (a Martin 000-15M and a Yamaha CSF3M I just got to upgrade a Jim Dandy), BUT I'm gonna be checking out a carbon fiber guitar to try to get past some of the humidity management issues I'm tired of dealing with. The whole IDEA of carbon fiber acoustic guitars is brand new to me and I’m somehow both intrigued and horrified by it. I’m not sure whether I hope I love it or hate it - it somehow doesn’t fit my self image, but then neither does being in my 60th year and that seems to have happened anyway, so I may as well give this a shot too. Because I’m thoroughly sick of humidifiers and humidipaks and figuring out how to store guitars safely when we’re gone for extended periods and I can only take a couple... So this carbon fiber thing may happen if the feel and sound can overcome my resistance.

If I like carbon fiber as much as my current gear (even if a bit differently), I'll probably eventually have one main CF guitar and one smaller parlor sized CF guitar and then maybe I'll be satisfied. But if I don't like carbon fiber well enough, I'll just keep what I've got and continue to deal with humidity. Because other than that little wrinkle, I feel like I’m “there”. But that's not a small wrinkle, so we'll see...

But I'm not quite two years in to playing a LOT again after barely playing at all for most of the past 30 years (I played a ton as a kid), so I'm just getting settled back down and feel like I’ve figured out what works for me at this point in life. When I was a kid and playing all the time I was really happy with one electric and one acoustic. Evidently I'm not there anymore, but I'm not interested in being a collector either.

Last edited by raysachs; 09-13-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM

I used to be consumed with GAS. As an acoustic AND electric player, it is twice as bad.

I have eclectic music tastes and that reflects in the styles I incorporate and thus in the guitars I think I need. But turning 60 has given me the opportunity to re-evaluate from the standpoint of 'what am I actually going to play vs. what do I fantasize that I'm going to play' and the result is I am OK with NOT owning all kinds of gorgeous guitars that I ultimately will not play much at all.

That said, I am not done acquiring. Last night I played an Irvin SJ on long-term loan to my wife, and compared it to my own Irvin SJ cutaway. It reminded me that I will be initiating a custom Irvin build hopefully next year.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I have four acoustics, and I'm also near the end.
Clearly, the magic number is four. Anything beyond that would be excessive.

(Today was supposed to be my last-ever NGD, but I just got an update from UPS that my new Breedlove was delivered to the wrong town. Sigh.)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Clearly the number is six. less would be underwhelming and more excessive.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Guest 33123

Thinking about this more the reason I'm in a holding pattern with GAS is that my collection was featured in Vintage Guitar Magazine's Reader's Gallery a couple of years back. I saved a couple of copies of the issue and whenever I look at the photo in the magazine I don't want to sell anything that was featured. Plus I think I have a pretty cool selection of iconic acoustics right now. Plus I'm spending my evenings playing and learning, not looking at guitar retail websites. Plus the movie memorabilia collecting I've been doing is cheaper and has been deflating my GAS somewhat. BUT GAS always lingers...
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM

When we all "hit the point of satisfaction" ...

Attachment 12919

Last edited by Tico; 05-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

You get to a certain age where the realization is you can see not being able to play at all. I have an appointment with a surgeon this afternoon to plan my carpal tunnel surgeries. Talked to an older guy who hasn't played in ten years. He said it's a bummer, but carpal can be dealt with, his arthritis can not.

You also feel the need to downsize because you realize you have too much stuff. So I'm not looking. Something special will have to fall into my lap. Now, mandolins is another matter.

I have a friend who is a real musician. I took him a nice parts tele I'll make it easy for him to have. I hadn't touched it in several years.

I've been trading off between my Martin M 36, Epiphone Texan, and Guild D 35. I could live with those and my Martin custom 00 15. Someday I'll sell them all and buy a 20s 0 18 I can string with very light silk and steel strings and play another year or two. My shoulders are in good shape because I didn't get into dreads until a couple of years ago.

So I guess if someone knocked on my door with a banner Gibson for less than 5K I'd bite.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM

I’m satisfied until I see a guitar that interests me, or when I become interested in a new sound. It’s like trying new foods that you’ve never considered before and adding them to your diet. In my mind, satisfaction and the desire for new guitars can coexist. I am satisfied with what I have, but I’m always interested in the next guitar.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
When we all "hit the point of satisfaction" ...

Attachment 12919
No guitar playing in the hereafter? Bummer!
Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
... I think I am actually going to "Be Done" and live happily ever after with the 2 Taylors and 1 Collings. Anyone in the same condition, fully satisfied with what you have?
Not possible for me. And I've heard this forum spreads the G.A.S. Have you tried any of the carbon fiber guitars? A whole new world awaits....

JR
Old 09-12-2018, 02:32 PM

that won't last long and you'll be looking for another, and another.....
and, then ELECTRICS!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I am satisfied, but I have come to realize that I have developed a second hobby of guitar appreciation, which involves owning new guitars and developing friendships with builders and other players. There's a world of guitar shows and forumites that has been a fun social group for me. It's separate from my playing, in a way. I'm not dissatisfied at all with what I have and could easily go a lifetime without owning other guitars, but I enjoy the process of working with builders and I enjoy the variety.

The caveat is that I don't really want my collection of guitars to ever get too big because I also think it's important on the musicianship side of my life to maintain good familiarity with my instruments.

The great thing about guitars, unlike say bikes (my other big hobby), is that they do tend to hold most of their value, particularly if you buy used. So the asset doesn't depreciate to zero value over time like a bike does. In that regard, I feel like I can recover my cash when needed. Or at least most of it.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM

I have some really fine instruments. I should be satisfied. There are certainly holes in my collection, but I suspect I'm done. I'm not promising; that would be crazy.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-12-2018, 03:12 PM

I’m very, very close - if not done - searching for and collecting guitars. I’m quite satisfied with my 2 Taylor’s and 1 Martin.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Satisfaction is ALWAYS up to the person in question... we all get to choose when we're satisfied (or not)...

I'm to the point where I'd like to downsize to just three guitars - one electric and a 6 and 12 string acoustic... I really don't see any point in having more than that.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion