The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
If the para DI is a LR Baggs, it wont have phantom power and you will still need a preamp for the K&K. I would suggest trying the K&K with the belt clip preamp run through the Para DI and experiment with the notch filters, gain, Phase, ect at home to get the best balance of volume/sound combo you can and try this out at your next open mic. Once you try this a few times, You'll be better educated to make a decision on the custom build pick up choice. If you can give the open mic host a better signal to start with, you may be happy with the K&K, preamp,LR Baggs signal chain. The Para DI/belt clip preamp combo is small enough and easy to bring along in a small shoulder bag. Don't forget to bring your own cables. Keep us posted. I'm in the process of creating my open mic set up as well. I'm using a JJB Prestige 330 and K&K Silver Bullet microphone internally stereo wired, and run into a DTAR Solstice blender and Equinox combo. I'm concerned I may now have more stuff than I care to tote along, and may just go back to just the JJB 330 and the LR Baggs Para DI. I will say that I love the sound and volume I'm now getting with my current set up. I am a bare finger picker as well.
The OP hasn't mentioned having a mic in his guitar, so I don't think he'll need a K&K preamp for phantom power.

From my own experiences with the Pure Mini and a Baggs PADI, I suspect the OP will find that the Pure Mini/PADI combo (EQ set flat) will produce a noticably bassier signal than the Pure Mini/K&K preamp combo (EQ set flat). There may be some advantage in using the K&K preamp in front of the PADI (in the signal chain) simply to start off with a less bassy signal (before making any EQ adjustments with the PADI). Then again, he may get better results just using the PADI by itself or the K&K preamp by itself.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 PM

I gave up on fingernails a few years ago. Some of my favorite players don't grow their nails. These include Tuck Andress, Laurence Juber and Tommy Emmanuel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification