The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-15-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Hi Marcus,

Congratulations! I too played the guitar and got to spend a little time with Joel. I told him that your guitar was one of the highlights of the festival for me, and I wasn't even trying to blow smoke up his %#@!

He did ask me to tell you beforehand that the thing is a dud, but I didn't have the gumption.

I am sure you are a happy man. Enjoy it.

Dan
ROFLMAO, who is this luthier guy he sounds hilarious!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Spruce View Post
ROFLMAO, who is this luthier guy he sounds hilarious!
You wouldn't believe how entertaining he is until you commission a build with him *hint hint* Some of my best laughs of 2015 were as a result of this build. Definitely makes you feel more like a friend than just a customer

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Haha! No worries. I might be young but I still needed guidance to post photos. If no one gets you there, I will.

Oh heck no! Not with all the large lizards there I am considering an outdoor shoot this time though we shall see.
Cool !! That will be nice!!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 PM

Photos should be coming shortly! And I'll write a review once I get a better idea of the sound. It's hard to put it into words so I am waiting for the words to hit me. However, you can take away what you want from this but I've had the guitar for about 3 days and I've already clocked about 40 hours on it; 15 hours in the first day alone. I just don't want to put it down and it has already inspired me to arrange something of my own. I've been going to bed extremely late, around 4am and have to wake up for work at 730am but I simply can't put it down!!

Maybe just a teaser but this guitar has the most amazing consistency across the fretboard out of any guitar I've ever played! The notes even on the 20th fret have the same volume, clarity, quality and tone as those lower on the neck! Simply mind blowing.... Just waiting for work to end to get back to it!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats on your new baby Marcus! Beautiful work. I can only guess the LS/Tree combo has got to sound wonderful. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats on your new baby Marcus! Beautiful work. I can only guess the LS/Tree combo has got to sound wonderful. Enjoy!
Thank you so much cigarfan! It really does sound wonderful. A friend said that it has a clear woody brilliance which I think is extremely apt.

Your Hatcher ain't looking too shabby either loving the back set.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Default Phototaking session!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Class,

My god, man.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Beautiful pictures and no signs of L.P. anywhere.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Default Review Part 3 - Sound

Okay, this is probably what most of you have been waiting for and I have been thinking for days on how to describe it. As most of you know, I have another Michaud on hand that is an OO-R Engelmann Koa so a lot of my thoughts are relative to that.

Let's first draw some of the more obvious comparisons in the physical aspect. OO vs OM/Engelmann vs Redwood/Koa vs Mahogany. So I suppose the OM should sound bigger, warmer, with higher overtone content and both would have a woody fundamental due to the Koa/Tree. Also, another thing to note I that the OO has clocked more hours than the OM. We shall get back to this later.

So, after playing the Lucky Tree, these are my thoughts:

-Quite loud, doesn't take much to move the top

-Large headroom, I can strum very hard or push it hard, and it will not break out, might even invite the harder attack

-More Spruce than Cedar, and might possibly be even more Spruce than Spruce! It does have a slight warmness to it that can be attributed to Cedar, but definitely more Spruce. I am not sure if it is just Lucky Strike or Redwood in general, but I might have just found my favourite top wood, incredible for both fingerstyle and strumming, it can sound both warm and bright depending on the play style and technique, I have yet to learn the ropes

-Responsive/dynamic, a light touch is ale to create an intimate sound, while a stronger attack can cause it to brighten up and growl.

-Clear, the strings have great note separation, absolutely not muddy, and absolutely not sterile-y separate It has a nice blend that is perfect for me.

-Nice round bass, I believe it is attributed to either the LS or longer bass

-Balance, but with a slight edge to the bass, possibly due to the longer bass/LS/OM but I feel that it is mainly because it hasn't opened up yet

Okay, all of the above are quite general and vague as it is an attempt to describe it objectively, so I took my guitar out for a spin at a local store with some solo luthier builds and I would say that it fared pretty well against them. Not going to say more than that as it wouldn't be fair to make direct comparisons against other luthier guitars. Let's just say that I wouldn't trade my Lucky Tree with any of them, this is MINE!

However, I would have to say I am unimpressed with the Lucky Tree. "Wait, what?" You must be thinking. "I played it myself at the festival and it sounded great!" or "Michael Chapdelaine loved it, are you saying that he can't tell a good guitar from a dud?"

Let me explain, as I have mentioned above, I have another Michaud as a point of comparison, and frankly, it has opened up a lot more than the Lucky Tree has. And honestly speaking, when it comes to 2 guitars from the same builder, I think anyone would be hard pressed to prefer a newer sounding guitar over an open one! The OO is bigger sounding than the OM, with a deeper voice, more overtone content and fatter trebles. Basically, the OO is PERFECT. To think that an open OO has a larger sound than an OM is frightening, because I can not imagine how much bigger the OM is going to sound!!

So... in conclusion, I am unimpressed with the Lucky Tree COMPARED to the Michaud OO-R Engelmann Koa, but highly impressed with the Lucky Tree compared to other guitars I have auditioned it against. Let's just say that the shop keepers were really impressed both in terms of aesthetics and sound. I am EXTREMELY excited to hear my Lucky Tree open up and evolve as I continue to grow with it. It already sounds AMAZING new (more so than the OO when it was new!) but it will be sounding way beyond that a couple of months down the road and I can't wait! This is my dream guitar in terms of looks, feel, and sound. And I am incredibly honoured to own such a masterpiece.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
My god, man.
I am waiting for yours...patiently. Who am I kidding, WHERE IS IT?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful pictures and no signs of L.P. anywhere.
I had to photoshop them nasties out or you would judge my dwelling place! These photos have not been edited yet as I am feeling lazy and I haven't posted any photos yet. Might just replace them once I edit them

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Marcus! And thanks much for the description and pics.

Beautiful guitar. Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Marcus! And thanks much for the description and pics.

Beautiful guitar. Enjoy!
Thank you It is extremely difficult for me to gush about my Lucky Tree online without seeming like I am bragging about it! But I am extremely proud of my baby and of Joel for creating such a masterpiece.

As some of the members here know, I already have a few future builds all planned out. But the moment I held the Lucky Tree, and played it, all thoughts of future builds have been dispelled. Right now, I really feel that this is the only guitar I need! It might change in the future but I am extremely content with it

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 PM

WOW!!! Marcus, those are gorgeous pics!!
Looks better and better every time!!
I also wouldn't be thinking about other future builds if I was in your shoes!
Simply stunning my friend!!
Congrats!!
Man oh man.....geeezzz!!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:04 PM

Marcus,

Would you please tell us how you feel about the Manzer Wedge? Do you find it helps on an OM sized guitar? Some folks say you can't even notice it.

Thanks buddy!
Neelix

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
joel michaud, lucky strike, micahud made, ngd, the tree