The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-09-2014, 02:03 AM

"Not going to happen this time Trevor, guaranteed... I'll get the coffees in, you play the guitar, deal?"

Deal but I think you should play the guitar and I will get the coffees, my guitar playing is underwhelming.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Congratulations, Jon! You've selected a marvelous luthier for your build. I'll need to make a few trips down to Eugene to see this one in progress.
Cheers Billy! You'll have to play it before Ray sends it over here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Deal but I think you should play the guitar and I will get the coffees, my guitar playing is underwhelming.
So's mine! I can purchase a mean latte though...
Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Humor: Two Brits talkin' coffee...

George
Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Humor: Two Brits talkin' coffee...
Well, one might've been discussing the relative merits of Earl Grey, had one's butler not become acutely confused on his last excursion to Fortnum & Mason and blundered into the wrong department! Henceforth, that scoundrel will be cooling his heels in the Tower.

God Save The Queen!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Default New pics!

I've had a few more pictures from Ray, who's busily been constructing the double sides... ziricote with a peruvian walnut inner laminate. I really like how this is looking

Ray hasn't cleaned them up yet post-gluing, so any visible smudges etc. will soon be a thing of the past!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm considering ziricote for my next commission. What prompted you to choose it? Looking forward to following along.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 PM

I can already see the similarities between Ray's builds and his mentor's (the double sides and the massive tongue of the head block). That huge tongue is very effective in my estimation. I have a 30 year old Somogyi with the same design and the neck angle is still fine. Your build is starting to resemble a guitar. Good stuff!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Those are beautiful sets of wood. Congrats on the new build...enjoy the process!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Looking good Jon...
Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 AM

...yes. Typically very crisp woodworking on show there.

It would be great if you could drag this along to one of the UK meets Jon. It would be great fun to put some Somogyis and his disciples up against one another.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm considering ziricote for my next commission. What prompted you to choose it? Looking forward to following along.
Well (huge generalisation warning!) I've mainly preferred the "rosewood" sound to the mahogany (with the memorable exception of a Collings OM1H I still regret selling), and ziricote was recommended to me in the first instance by Trevor at TAMCO. I discussed this choice at length with Ray (along with alternatives like Indian, Guatemalan & Panamanian Rosewoods, and Wenge), and from his description of the tone, decided to go ahead with it. The description - paraphrased - was of a wood with a lower tap tone, yielding strong deep mids and a low, lively bass response. Clear (not steely) trebles, slightly nylon-like in quality. Not overly sustain-heavy, more present immediately then dissipating like a jazz guitar.

That, and the amazing looks, decided me!

Jon
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Thanks. As I said I'm considering between Ziricote, Koa, and Macassar Ebony. Quite different I know, but there you go. I'm looking forward to following along with your build, good luck!
Matthew
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I can already see the similarities between Ray's builds and his mentor's (the double sides and the massive tongue of the head block). That huge tongue is very effective in my estimation. I have a 30 year old Somogyi with the same design and the neck angle is still fine. Your build is starting to resemble a guitar. Good stuff!
I know that most Somogyi / apprentice guitars are famously responsive, and that that goal is achieved in part by the removal of more material from the soundboard than other luthiers might... but there does seem to be a lot of stability & strength built in as well: the double sides, large extension of the headblock, carbon fibre reinforcement in the neck... even the lattice bracing Ray will use would (at least in my mind!) provide some added longitudinal strength to the back. (OK, might be imagining that last bit )

I'm not surprised that - if they're properly looked after - they stand the test of time... Can't wait to start playing this one!

Jon
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
...yes. Typically very crisp woodworking on show there.

It would be great if you could drag this along to one of the UK meets Jon. It would be great fun to put some Somogyis and his disciples up against one another.

Cheers,
Steve
I'd love to! Might have to put it in the hands of a better player for a fair comparison though... I get crippling stage fright, probably a leftover from years of unwilling solo violin performances at school - Michael Flatley's legs have got nothing on mine under a spotlight!

Jon
Old 01-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Those are beautiful sets of wood. Congrats on the new build...enjoy the process!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Looking good Jon...
Thanks very much guys! I love it so far, but also can't wait to see what Ray has in mind for the rosette & endgraft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Thanks. As I said I'm considering between Ziricote, Koa, and Macassar Ebony. Quite different I know, but there you go. I'm looking forward to following along with your build, good luck!
Matthew
Wow, they ARE different! Similar in that they're all striking lookers though

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop