The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Another unique aspect of this build is that I convinced Mike to use hot hide glue, which without putting words in his mouth I think was a new experience for him. Whether hide glue is voodoo or all inside my head or the real thing, I just don't know. What I do know is that I'm a disciple. I only have one non hide glue guitar right now. It's just so light, and dries sooo hard, with no cold creep, and is super easy to repair with. The disadvantage is that it's kind of a hassle to keep warm and the set time is only a minute or two.

He's using HHG for the critical aspects of the construction; bracing, bridge, rim etc.
I love this. While the matter of whether HHG is 'better' than titebond is up for debate (it's subjective like most other aspects of guitar), it's great that Mike is willing to roll the dice and try something new. For someone so accomplished and with such a strong reputation for building incredible guitars, his desire to push the boundaries and try something different for him is just awesome. Yet another reason why he's one of my fave builders.

Some luthiers believe that HHG imparts a more organic sound to the guitar - it can smooth out the rough edges of the notes. Others have tried both glues and say that they can't hear a difference. I'd love to hear what Mike has to say about HHG after this build!

Thanks again for sharing and keep the drool inducing pics coming!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm not sure I can hear a difference either, but whatever magic happened with vintage guitars I'd like to bottle at least some of it
Old 01-03-2015, 08:10 PM

Note the asymmetry in the bracing.

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

So when Mike heats up the hide glue...does the place smell a bit like a burger joint?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Mathew,

I honestly don't see the asymmetry. It appears like a fairly straightahead x-brace with tone bar pattern to my lay person eyes albeit with a multi-scale bridge plate. Is it the orientation of the x-brace itself with respect to the body shape? The shot is somewhat foreshortened and is difficult to tell.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Note that the left top x brace is about a cm higher compared to the hole drilled in the side of the top compared to the right top x brace, and note the angle of the bridge plate. edit: saw you noted the bridge plate.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
So when Mike heats up the hide glue...does the place smell a bit like a burger joint?
Having used hide glue for one of the guitars I built, it smells more like, well, a hot, wet horse hide that's been left in the sun for a few days :/
Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Note that the left top x brace is about a cm higher compared to the hole drilled in the side of the top compared to the right top x brace, and note the angle of the bridge plate. edit: saw you noted the bridge plate.
I see it now by the gap between the ends of the x and the transverse brace. What is Mike's thought behind shifting the x-brace to the treble side?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I see it now by the gap between the ends of the x and the transverse brace. What is Mike's thought behind shifting the x-brace to the treble side?

Thanks
No idea. I just knew it was part of his fan fret design. More bass is my guess.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

The relationship between the X and the bridge is of crucial importance to the tone and balance of the guitar. Therefore, if the bridge is turned the X MUST be turned to maintain the structural formula.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Also, on a practical note (and depending on the specific parameters of the fan fret), if you consider where the bridge pin holes will punch through the bridge plate - if the bracing were not rotated, the treble side of the X would likely cover the top E hole or snag the string ball end.

Mike does make a lot of use of asymmetry in his designs, though. The whole body shape is asymmetrical (and extremely comfortable to hold), and his back braces are fanned, rather than all being perpendicular to the centre seam.

Another example you can see in the image - the use of a straight brace on one of the long arms of the X, and a scalloped brace on the other (not unique to this guitar, Mike does this as standard on the Meridian).

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:41 PM

Was the bracing glue-up done all in one operation, with HHG, and then vacuum clamped?

Or was it done in stages, with the pic showing the final clamping ? If done in stages, how many separate clampings would have been involved?

Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Also, on a practical note (and depending on the specific parameters of the fan fret), if you consider where the bridge pin holes will punch through the bridge plate - if the bracing were not rotated, the treble side of the X would likely cover the top E hole or snag the string ball end.

Mike does make a lot of use of asymmetry in his designs, though. The whole body shape is asymmetrical (and extremely comfortable to hold), and his back braces are fanned, rather than all being perpendicular to the centre seam.

Another example you can see in the image - the use of a straight brace on one of the long arms of the X, and a scalloped brace on the other (not unique to this guitar, Mike does this as standard on the Meridian).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The relationship between the X and the bridge is of crucial importance to the tone and balance of the guitar. Therefore, if the bridge is turned the X MUST be turned to maintain the structural formula.

Thanks Bruce and David.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post

Was the bracing glue-up done all in one operation, with HHG, and then vacuum clamped?

Or was it done in stages, with the pic showing the final clamping ? If done in stages, how many separate clampings would have been involved?
It was done in stages, I just didn't want to bore people with too many bracing photos. The x brace went in the pie dough first, then the soundhole reinforcement, then the tone bars. I think. If Mike is reading or others please feel to correct.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 AM

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop