The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I have a custom black gloss Cargo that was given to me by CA and as much as I love the look, I prefer the tone of the RT version. I bought my RT Cargos used for $700 or so a few years ago.
Hey Ted. I find your tone preference of the RT over the gloss interesting. As I haven't played a gloss version of the Cargo, I've been curious about that (had owned a gloss GXi, but it's not at all the same guitar/tone). Might you be able to expand on your experience, please? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
All three of my Cargos are the RT wine finish and color. I played one Peavey Cargo at American Guitar and Band, I think it was a gloss finish. I thought they did a fine job with it.

Tony
Tony, I'm also curious about your impressions of the RT vs. gloss tone. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Tony, I'm also curious about your impressions of the RT vs. gloss tone. Thanks.
Personally, I prefer the RT finish because, to me, it seems warmer/darker than the gloss finish. In a small guitar such as the Cargo (and maybe a CF guitar in particular?) being less bright is a good thing to my ears. I don't know how other people perceive the differences between the two finishes, but that is how it seems to me. For me, the Cargo just sounds "right" with the RT finish.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Personally, I prefer the RT finish because, to me, it seems warmer/darker than the gloss finish. In a small guitar such as the Cargo (and maybe a CF guitar in particular?) being less bright is a good thing to my ears. I don't know how other people perceive the differences between the two finishes, but that is how it seems to me. For me, the Cargo just sounds "right" with the RT finish.

Tony
Thanks for this.

Apart from the potential hand scratchiness of the RT finish if not conscious of good technique, especially when amplified, a benefit I find of this finish is that it is in fact, very tough. I don't worry about the guitar at all. If it was gloss, I'd likely baby it somewhat which is not really what I want to do. The RT also looks cool.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 AM

Back to the McPherson... I understand if this first model does well they intend on introducing a larger (full size?) CF guitar at next NAMM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Back to the McPherson... I understand if this first model does well they intend on introducing a larger (full size?) CF guitar at next NAMM.
Which, if McPherson doesn't mind a critique, seems like one of the silliest business plans I've seen in awhile: the market for a travel guitar is COMPLETELY different than the market for a guitar! How will sales of a <23" scale mini-guitar determine the potential market for a full size CF guitar? I, for one, have no interest in a down-sized CF McPherson but I'd be very interested in a "real" one...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 AM

The prices for some of these guitars is ridiculous. $14,000? Who has 14 grand for one guitar?
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 AM

I have been playing a lil KM CF a lot and really like it...I put polyweb mediums on it and "smooths" it out....very nice indeed.....good projection .... I better save up and get one....

. At Namm McPherson had a $50,000 and yes a $100,000 axe.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarget View Post
The prices for some of these guitars is ridiculous. $14,000? Who has 14 grand for one guitar?
Professional gigging musicians.

I hear you though. Personally if I had even just 10K to drop on a guitar I would be thinking along the lines of a Michael Greenfield. The tone from those guitars is just unreal. However, I'm more intrigued by the CF McPherson offering than any other guitar they have released. Not because I want one as much as it's exciting to see a major manufacturer that is traditionally a wood builder break out into the CF market. I wish them the absolute best!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

To me, it would be difficult to criticize the price a build sets on a guitar. That is the builder's choice, not mine. The builder is in his or her business and either knows the market the business is aiming for or misses and learns from it for next time. Just because I can't afford $10,000 or $100,000 for a guitar, doesn't mean somebody else can't or won't. I am not the business person and as the consumer, my decision is to either pay the price or not without regard for what another person chooses to do. Clearly, there are people who can pay that kind of money, since the various publicized auctions of guitars in these price ranges seem successful.

That said, I did buy a McPherson last June for $6,000 and the previous winter, a 1974 Gibson Johnny Smith archtop for the same price. For me, those were lifetime purchases that I waited to make until the mortgage was completely paid and our retirement was secure. Others may choose to do it differently and that is again, personal choice. When I purchased the McPherson, I really was not aware of the brand. I played it, loved it, and bought it. For reasons I don't understand, I really didn't bond with many high end instruments, but the McPherson did it for me. That is no reflection on the instruments I didn't bond with or on those who do bond with them. I have mentioned the circumstance elsewhere in these forums. I have always, specifically, wanted a Johnny Smith.

McPhersons seem to be one of those instruments that people either love or don't, unlike some other brands that seem universally loved. To me (others may have a different viewpoint), but a guitar choice is a personal thing that we do for ourselves rather than according to what other people think. So I would be hesitant to tell everybody to buy a McPherson on the basis of my personal choice. I would, however, encourage people to try a variety of guitar brands with an open mind as they make their choices.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hey Ted. I find your tone preference of the RT over the gloss interesting. As I haven't played a gloss version of the Cargo, I've been curious about that (had owned a gloss GXi, but it's not at all the same guitar/tone). Might you be able to expand on your experience, please? Thanks.
The Cargo seems to be quite sensitive to the type of finish it wears, I found the RT models to be more responsive. Note that I have no experience with the current Cargos made by Peavey, my experience is limited to the original models.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The Cargo seems to be quite sensitive to the type of finish it wears, I found the RT models to be more responsive. Note that I have no experience with the current Cargos made by Peavey, my experience is limited to the original models.
Now that you mention this, I would have to agree that fits my experience too (the Cargo being sensitive to the type of finish). I really couldn't put my finger on WHY the RT finish seems different from the others other than sounding different, but this is an interesting observation. You have probably been around quite a few more and varied guitars than I have, so I would guess your observations to be more attuned than mine. I like this concept of the RT finish being more responsive.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM

A $100,000 guitar.......I just don't know what to say about guitars that cost more than some houses.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 PM

A few yrs ago a GC near me had a inlayed top-neck-body top and back Martin for $108,000...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
A few yrs ago a GC near me had a inlayed top-neck-body top and back Martin for $108,000...
Was it the D-100 Mark? The D-100 is a very ornate guitar that can take up a year of their inlay artist time. In addition to the inlay work, the guitar features the best of everything that Martin has to offer. It's quite a special guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber