The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Default CA OX Raw vs Rainsong Shorty

I've been playing for about a year and am thinking a CF guitar might be get me playing more. I love my Taylor GC3 but in our dry Arizona climate I need more then a few minutes to justify taking it out of its humidified case. Having a guitar setting out seems like it would facillitate playing whenever I have a few spare minutes.
I like the sound of my GC3 and I love the sound of my friends Taylor 414ce ltd. I'd be buying the CF guitar sight unseen and sound unheard. I don't see a need for electonics but if I where to get them it seems the OX's might be better. Aesthetically, I like the looks of the CA OX Raw. I mostly play finger style.
Any input will be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

I have both and you can't go wrong on either.....the difference will be in feel. The OX is a 14 fret standard scale and the Shorty a 12 fret short scale so there is a difference that you need to try both.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM

I have both as well... both are great..I do play the Shorty way more though.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Being in Phoenix, I too love having a CF guitar. No question, the fact that I can hang my Rainsong Shorty out all the time makes me grab it more. I played Kramster's CA Raw and Rough finish, and I did like the RAW better. For me what does not work on the CA guitars is the short fret space as you get closer to the soundhole. Just too cramped for me. But I will say, I really like the CA guitar sound. It's a travel guitar with a great sound!

The 12 fret, short scale Shorty is a dream to play. Call Ted, and treat yourself. Get one of the limited edition ones...I'd be happy to come to Tucson and sign it

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM

I appreciate the input. I'm thinking if I go for the Shorty I'll forego the electronics. It seems your replies so far favor the Shorty over the CA OX. I'm still interested in other thoughts.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 PM

I have a pre-Peavey OX that I leave at work to practice on. I like it so much that I wanted another for home. When Ted (LA Guitar Sales) offered the Rainsong Shorty I thought that it might be the choice for a home guitar so when in LA I checked it out and almost bought one. Right before closing the deal the GAS left and I realized that I like the CA OX better and should get another one instead. I bought a Peavey raw OX on Ebay but didn't like the feel of the neck. My pre-Peavey model had a much smoother feel. Sold it to a local musician who beats up his guitars and he loves it. Then Ted offered the RainSong LA2-LE 12-Fret WS so I bought one with electronics. Check it out on his website. The warmest carbon guitar I've experienced. An absolutly great sound and better electronics than the CA OX. It has become one of my favorite all time guitars. The Shorty and the OX are different in feel more than sound with my edge leaning toward the OX but the LA2-LE 12-Fret WS is a step above either.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Default CA OX Raw vs Rainsong Shorty

If you like the Taylor sound, I'd probably recommend the Shorty. They both tend to be pretty bright, and most CA's are very bass heavy.

I also just love my Shorty, so maybe I'm just biased.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcee View Post
I have a pre-Peavey OX that I leave at work to practice on. I like it so much that I wanted another for home. When Ted (LA Guitar Sales) offered the Rainsong Shorty I thought that it might be the choice for a home guitar so when in LA I checked it out and almost bought one. Right before closing the deal the GAS left and I realized that I like the CA OX better and should get another one instead. I bought a Peavey raw OX on Ebay but didn't like the feel of the neck. My pre-Peavey model had a much smoother feel. Sold it to a local musician who beats up his guitars and he loves it. Then Ted offered the RainSong LA2-LE 12-Fret WS so I bought one with electronics. Check it out on his website. The warmest carbon guitar I've experienced. An absolutly great sound and better electronics than the CA OX. It has become one of my favorite all time guitars. The Shorty and the OX are different in feel more than sound with my edge leaning toward the OX but the LA2-LE 12-Fret WS is a step above either.
I was just comparing your WS 12 fret to the Shorty, and other than a small size difference, it looks like both of the guitars are constructed with the exact same materials, is that correct?

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
If you like the Taylor sound, I'd probably recommend the Shorty. They both tend to be pretty bright, and most CA's are very bass heavy.

I also just love my Shorty, so maybe I'm just biased.
I have a different experience. The sound really depends on strings and how hard you dig in, and nails. I am a fingerstyle player, as well as classical guitar player. If my nails are not trimmed properly, I personally find it has impact on how my guitars sound. The Shorty works for me because I am a fingerstyle player with a very light touch. That being said, I feel like I get a Martin like sound out of mine.

My Shorty is being set up with some medium Elixirs and I will have her back next week. My guitar tech and I immediately noticed improvement when we installed medium trebles as an experiment.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
They both tend to be pretty bright, and most CA's are very bass heavy.
I won't argue the Taylor and Rainsong guitars being bright. However, I don't agree that CAs tend to be bass heavy. Of all the CA models, I think only the GXi and the Cargo (both with offset soundholes) could be described as "bass heavy". The GX is very balanced sounding, certainly not bass heavy. The CA dreads have good bass, but I wouldn't call them bass heavy. The other models (X, Xi, OX) are anything but bass heavy.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I was just comparing your WS 12 fret to the Shorty, and other than a small size difference, it looks like both of the guitars are constructed with the exact same materials, is that correct?
I believe so. The extra size makes a tremendous difference in sound. Not just volume, but sound. When I got it the action was a bit high for me (I play very light bare fingerstyle) and it was wearing Elixers. After experimenting with different strings I settled on light Martin PB SP Lifespans. The Custom Lights that my Taylor GC7 is happy with weren't enough to bring out the WS's voice. Then I took it to my luthier for a set-up. It is a keeper and has cured my GAS for the time being.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I won't argue the Taylor and Rainsong guitars being bright. However, I don't agree that CAs tend to be bass heavy. Of all the CA models, I think only the GXi and the Cargo (both with offset soundholes) could be described as "bass heavy". The GX is very balanced sounding, certainly not bass heavy. The CA dreads have good bass, but I wouldn't call them bass heavy. The other models (X, Xi, OX) are anything but bass heavy.
I agree with Brian.

I have had both the CA GX, and the CA GXi, and currently have two RainSongs, a CO-WS1000N2 and a BI-WS1000N2.

I would call the CA GX and both RainSongs "balanced", but different. An often stated analogy, is that the RainSong WS1000 to the CA GX is like a Taylor compared to a Martin. The RainSong being a bit brighter, and the CA GX being a bit darker, but both balanced and both nice.

The CA GXi, with the offset soundhole, is definitely much heavier on the bass side of the tone. A nice tone, but the descriptions of the GXi having a rolling thunder level of base are good descriptions.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Yes, they both have the unidirectional top with the hybrid (carbon/glass fiber) back and sides. This is the reason they're more affordable than the concert series, which has a pure carbon fiber back and sides.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, they both have the unidirectional top with the hybrid (carbon/glass fiber) back and sides. This is the reason they're more affordable than the concert series, which has a pure carbon fiber back and sides.
I had a chance to play a concert series at Guitar Center about a year ago, and what a luscious sound. Gosh, I wish I could get to Teds for a day to play all the different models!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 PM

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate that no one bashed either guitar. After listening to a few YouTube videos, particularly a review of each by AcousticGuitar, I decided the sound of the Shorty appeals to me more. Hopefully, I'll find more time to practice in the New Year to justify the purchase.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber