The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM

I've just played CA GX at the music store and here's my impression.

I have tested it for about an hour exchanging it back and forth with Taylor 516, 514, GC8 and Martin-000-28ec. I tested it on small carpeted sound proof room and huge showcase with hardwood floors. I fully realize that one hour is not enough time, but I usually go with first impression and don't wait until guitar grows on me.

Pros:
Guitar was very comfortable. Especially body. Very light as well. Neck was also comfy but not as much as Taylor's. I think it's the high gloss that makes it not as fast. I also could feel frets sticking out just a bit. Not sure why this is since this thing is not affected by humidity. I was surprised how not fake guitar sounded. If I ware to do a blind test, I could've not tell that this guitar is made of carbon. It had pretty good highs. Closer to Martin fundamental full highs than to Taylor's sparkling bell like highs.

Cons:
It was muddy and lacked clarity in mids and lows. As someone said above, little hollow and round. If I was to play only first three strings, I would put it on the same level as Taylor's, but lows and mids were not that great. That is what gave this guitar not balanced sound.
This probably has nothing to do with guitar being made of carbon since I've heard the same thing on Eric Clapton's 000-28ec. Great highs, but muddy, around mids and lows. Both guitars actually sounded very similar. Not sure how I can describe it but it felt like it lacked something in the sound. More air, more body.

Overall, I would consider this guitar as my year round purchase so I wouldn't have to worry about temp/humidity so I could practice on and go to parties and play it. GA might impress me if I were never to play it back to back with Taylor and other guitars.
As far as trading it in for a Taylor, no way I would give up Taylors for GA GX.
This is just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post

This is just my opinion.
I agree. That's why I still have my Taylors (and one Rainsong).
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree totally with Fingerplucked's comments to you.
This just isn't true in reality.

This also isn't true. Please tell me, in detail, exactly how guitars made from resins and carbon fiber sound. You make it seem inferior. CAs may sound diffferent from quality wood guitars, but are in no way inferior.

Quite the generalization which is also not true.

These statements are getting silly. Surely you know better than to assume all are like you describe.

Now, there's an accurate statement, as it is for any make/material of guitar.

Ooops, you fell off the wagon. Dumb statement.

You're right, you shouldn't have posted, and maybe I shouldn't have either. I just couldn't let such erroneous statements go unchallenged.
Not sure how you can argue with my statements as you have not played my guitar....

1. My legacy did arrive with a saddle that is too low to be adjusted further.
2. My legacy did arrive with action that was over 1/8" at the 12th fret low E string.
3. My legacy does not compare tonewise to my D-18, D-15S, or Larrivee L03. Though this is subjective, I have played the guitar for a number of people all of which are accomplished musicians and not one would trade ANY of their guitars for the CA.
4. My legacy has too much neck relief when medium strings are installed and since there is no truss rod, it is not adjustable.
5. My legacy pickup is not balanced. Though I can fix this, should not have left the factory with 4 strings amplified much higher than the remaining two.
6. My legacy's low E string sounds like a thick rubber band.
7. My legacy exhibits a strong mid range and little else.
8. My legacy sounds like it is made from plastic, ie, resin and carbon fiber, not wood.

Furthermore, I am not the only CA legacy owner that has complained about the high action and difficult playability.

JackL
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Similarities-
-I have a Taylor 414 Koa back and sides and a CA GX Player. Both are great sounding guitars. They sound different from each other but both sound great. -Playability of both guitars is wonderful.
Differences-
-When i put my nose in the Taylor's sound hole it smells like wood. When i do that to my CA it doesn't smell like wood.
-My Taylor also spend 99.99% of the time in the case. My CA spends 99.9% of the time on the stand next to the couch.
Gretch Resonator
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post

I have tested it for about an hour exchanging it back and forth with Taylor 516, 514, GC8 and Martin-000-28ec. I tested it on small carpeted sound proof room and huge showcase with hardwood floors. I fully realize that one hour is not enough time, but I usually go with first impression and don't wait until guitar grows on me.

Pros:
Guitar was very comfortable. Especially body. Very light as well. Neck was also comfy but not as much as Taylor's. I think it's the high gloss that makes it not as fast. I also could feel frets sticking out just a bit. Not sure why this is since this thing is not affected by humidity. I was surprised how not fake guitar sounded. If I ware to do a blind test, I could've not tell that this guitar is made of carbon. It had pretty good highs. Closer to Martin fundamental full highs than to Taylor's sparkling bell like highs.

Cons:
It was muddy and lacked clarity in mids and lows. As someone said above, little hollow and round. If I was to play only first three strings, I would put it on the same level as Taylor's, but lows and mids were not that great. That is what gave this guitar not balanced sound.
This probably has nothing to do with guitar being made of carbon since I've heard the same thing on Eric Clapton's 000-28ec. Great highs, but muddy, around mids and lows. Both guitars actually sounded very similar. Not sure how I can describe it but it felt like it lacked something in the sound. More air, more body.

Overall, I would consider this guitar as my year round purchase so I wouldn't have to worry about temp/humidity so I could practice on and go to parties and play it. GA might impress me if I were never to play it back to back with Taylor and other guitars.
This is just my opinion.
I sold a nice sounding 05 814CE to buy my 07 CA GX performer. When I gotthe CA home it was richer and had more bottom end than the Taylot. the Taylor was bright in comparison and this was a revoiced bracing 814CE. This particular 814CE also blew away the 810s on the wall bass and just rich tone. Not just my opinion but othrs in the room including the guitar tech of the store.

When I first played the GX at the store it reminded me of the 814 so much is was crazy. Then after getting home I played side by side and even the wife thought the GX was richer in tone. Warmer deeper not as thin or bright sounding. Although it was not by a HUGE margin. tone was pretty close between the two. BAck in january of 08 I posted sound clips of both guitars using same equipment and played same music and more people guess wrong as to which guitar was which. many commented on how they liked the CA clip and after I released the result many became interested in trying out a CA for themselves.

The 814CE I had IMO was the nicest sounding and best playing Taylor I had owned. after a year of owning I took it in the store with me just to play against everything on the wall Taylor ( well over 40) and the 814CE I had still had it over all of them. I though my gass was cured for good until a year later and played a CA GX. I will sauy that the Taylor gave me a bit less fatigue after playing for worship than the GX. I know the Phos/bronze strings are stiffer than 80/20s
Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM

The GX sounds a lot like a Taylor

---------------------------------

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
'09 Chuck Gilbert Dread C/M
Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Some lively posts. I just posted my full review of my CA Legacy I just bought, but let me make a few comments. I have played the GX and the GXI and thought they were wonderful. But I really don't think CA guitars sound like Taylors. Taylors are usually, or you could say, unusually bright and I think CA's are more mellow. I compared my Legacy to my old Gibson 1967 J-45. Mellow bass and mids. If you played Taylors all your guitar life you expect bright and another type of sound can sound wrong initially. Ya got to live with it a little while to see what you got.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Some lively posts. I just posted my full review of my CA Legacy I just bought, but let me make a few comments. I have played the GX and the GXI and thought they were wonderful. But I really don't think CA guitars sound like Taylors. Taylors are usually, or you could say, unusually bright and I think CA's are more mellow. I compared my Legacy to my old Gibson 1967 J-45. Mellow bass and mids. If you played Taylors all your guitar life you expect bright and another type of sound can sound wrong initially. Ya got to live with it a little while to see what you got.
Steve
I have owned way to many Taylors since 2001. A bunch. I am not one for a very bright sounding guitar and when I picked the Taylors I had I would gravitate towards a richer tone. Prior to the revoicing of the GA models I could not stand the 814s or the 614s etc for that matter. I was a Taylor dread player with a 810CE and a 710CE-L9 that was really deep in tone compared to most Taylors.

When I got a channce to play a revoiced 814CE the it spoke to me quite well. The one I bought sounded deeper in bass than even the GS8s did. Every GS8 I plyed sounded bright in comparioson to my 814CE. I once installed a bone saddle in my 814CE and took it out right away as it got way to mellow toned. It was already pretty good in that respect.

That being said my particular CA GX sounds close to the Taylor I had but a bit less ringy or sharp( bright) had as much or more bottom end and a bit mellower in the mids to highs. NOW I will say the strings make a HUGE difference. When I bought mine the G string was bad and the store owner installed a 80/20 string on it instead. ( long storry about why i did not push the issue or tell him wrong string) JUST that G string with the 80/20 vs a phos/bronze made the whole guitar sound alot brighter!!! . I found then the G string has a big effect on mid range brightness.

Well I installed the proper string and back to being a bit mellower tone it came. I did try 80/20s on it for a bit and did not like it as sounded then even brighter than the Taylor.

I know that the 814CE I had was not bright compared to any other Taylor I owned. so that is why the GX I have DID sound very close to the taylor I had. Like I said I had them both recorded and posted on here and more people got the guitars wrong.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM

you know Taylors better that I do. I did change strings on the Legacy to 80/20's to brighten it. I think CA's need that brightening.
Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 PM

the 80/20s will definately brighten it up over the phos/bronze. Amazing how strings can change a guitars character. I have found too that if the sound of the CA guitar starts to diminsh you can be sure it is a string issue not a weather issue!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM

I own 2 CA guitars, a Cargo and a GX (7M-CE). I find it almost funny how folks compare them to Martin, Taylors and other guitars. My Composite Acoustics sound like....well, a Composite Acoustic carbon fiber guitar. They sound great and have a tone similar to my wooden guitars. I love their piano-like sustain and playability. Come to think of it, my Martin OM-28V kinda sounds like a carbon guitar but just not quite as balanced. My Larrivee probably sounds closer to a Rainsong WS1000 but not quite as loud.

Someday, Martin, Larrivee, Goodall and other owners will be comparing their guitars to Carbon Fiber guitars. Or, maybe not.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
I own 2 CA guitars, a Cargo and a GX (7M-CE). I find it almost funny how folks compare them to Martin, Taylors and other guitars. My Composite Acoustics sound like....well, a Composite Acoustic carbon fiber guitar. They sound great and have a tone similar to my wooden guitars. I love their piano-like sustain and playability. Come to think of it, my Martin OM-28V kinda sounds like a carbon guitar but just not quite as balanced. My Larrivee probably sounds closer to a Rainsong WS1000 but not quite as loud.

Someday, Martin, Larrivee, Goodall and other owners will be comparing their guitars to Carbon Fiber guitars. Or, maybe not.
What does the label read on your 7MCE?

---------------------------------

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
'09 Chuck Gilbert Dread C/M
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 PM

i've been looking at these guitars with great interest...ad managed to try out a GXi and Legacy model.

i've noticed its alot heavier than taylors...just curious, does anyone here ever experience faitgue from playing them given their weight? (i'm not saying it will happen, just wondering if it does)

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 AM

They weight about 5.5 pounds and I know my Gibson J100 is about 4.5 I think it is one of the few disadvantages but I can't see one pound wearing you down.
Now my 10 pound Les Paul Custom that is another story.
Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Blues2rock, the label reads Player Series 7M-CE. If I'm not mistaken, the 7M-CE and the 8M-CE both had performance bracing but the 7M has almost no bling at all.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber