The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Hey dandy505!!!

Are the still offering the COT package?? Are they offering it on all models?? Why don't I just email CA??? Well....cuz this is a cool place to hang out!!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Shall I mention, yet again, that I never have to tune my CA's?
Simply amazing guitars.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott E Worby View Post
Hey dandy505!!!

Are the still offering the COT package?? Are they offering it on all models?? Why don't I just email CA??? Well....cuz this is a cool place to hang out!!
There new price list says the COT is 100 bucks extra, but it doesn't say on which models. I assume it would only be on the 7 or 8 series, since those of the high gloss models...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Hey dandy505!!!

based on the powerpoint presentation kicking around, they are still offering the COT package for a few extra hams. not sure if you can get it on all models though.

Hey, at least your closer to the Canadian dealers than I am...there is one in Alberta and one in Manitoba...I need one in the Toronto area!

whoops...duplicate info

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM

I'm intruiged to see what the C.O.T. package will look like on the offset soundhole bodies (if they do it for one that is), can imagine it would be pretty cool!

Everytime I see or hear about CA's, the GAS level just goes up and up, absolutely considering one for my next guitar!

This may have been posted on this board before, but this is a GREAT video of how a CA is built:

https://www.artisanguitars.com/CAvideo.html

The bit I was most impressed about was the fact they actually use UD carbon cloth which shows they must have put thought into the fibre direction (which determines strength and stiffness) in order to make the guitar as stiff as possible rather than just use woven cloth which would be a lot easier to lay-up. Defintely a big tick in the box that! (I'm an engineering student so stuff like that gives me a [weird] kick!)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for that video - didn't know about it. It was very informative (but also GAS inducing).
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Just watched the video. Wow!

I'm very glad to see that serious players are paying attention to CA. When I bought mine it was hard to get folks to even try it. Tradition is strong. Now, however, even some of the die hard bluegrassers in the area are admitting that the tone, volume and playability of these guitars is what counts, and the durability is a real bonus!

Lovin' my CA, for sure.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy505 View Post
Hey, at least your closer to the Canadian dealers than I am...there is one in Alberta and one in Manitoba...I need one in the Toronto area!
8 hours from Calgary, 5 from Winnipeg. That's a long drive just for a demo. My MAJOR concern is that I can't try one before I order one. But man do I want one! Seems so practical. Temperature and humidity swings here in Saskatchewan are brutal! I'll contact my closest dealers and ask them about return policies. Mind you, If I get a CA it will be a COT. So I may just talk to the company directly. Not many dealers carry the COT let alone in the GX style.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
8 hours from Calgary, 5 from Winnipeg. That's a long drive just for a demo. My MAJOR concern is that I can't try one before I order one. But man do I want one! Seems so practical. Temperature and humidity swings here in Saskatchewan are brutal! I'll contact my closest dealers and ask them about return policies. Mind you, If I get a CA it will be a COT. So I may just talk to the company directly. Not many dealers carry the COT let alone in the GX style.
here is where I bought mine and they just got in a GX COT. click inventory and then acoustics and scroll down. In Iowa.

Lee
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
I'm intruiged to see what the C.O.T. package will look like on the offset soundhole bodies (if they do it for one that is), can imagine it would be pretty cool!

Everytime I see or hear about CA's, the GAS level just goes up and up, absolutely considering one for my next guitar!

This may have been posted on this board before, but this is a GREAT video of how a CA is built:

https://www.artisanguitars.com/CAvideo.html

The bit I was most impressed about was the fact they actually use UD carbon cloth which shows they must have put thought into the fibre direction (which determines strength and stiffness) in order to make the guitar as stiff as possible rather than just use woven cloth which would be a lot easier to lay-up. Defintely a big tick in the box that! (I'm an engineering student so stuff like that gives me a [weird] kick!)
I know one of the founders and owners of the company is a former NASA employee( I read somewhere) aerospace engineer for sure!

this is an excerpt from the CA web site--

Composite Acoustics guitars are the brainchild of a proverbial rocket scientist: a former aerospace engineer and guitar aficionado with a vision and a lot of experience with composites. To this day, our team consists mostly of guitar lovers and dedicated players. We work every day to make the best guitars in the world.

So it does not surprise me that he would know a thing or two about carbon fiber
Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
Just watched the video. Wow!

I'm very glad to see that serious players are paying attention to CA. When I bought mine it was hard to get folks to even try it. Tradition is strong. Now, however, even some of the die hard bluegrassers in the area are admitting that the tone, volume and playability of these guitars is what counts, and the durability is a real bonus!

Lovin' my CA, for sure.
I couldn't agree more! The high-techiness, and durability of these guitars will appeal to some, but ultimately, it's their tone and playability that carry the day.

TC
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
here is where I bought mine and they just got in a GX COT. click inventory and then acoustics and scroll down. In Iowa.

Lee
Hey Lee, the link didn't show. Could you post it again??
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Hey Lee, the link didn't show. Could you post it again??

OOOOPS LOL. I guess if I would have POSTED the link it would help alot now wouldn`t it

here it is

http://www.starsguitars.com/

click inventory- then acoustics- then scroll down.

they have a COT in a dread and GX

Lee
Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I think I am going to eventually order a 2008 Composite Acoustics 8M-CE GX which is an 8 series Grand Auditorium and it is very comfortable (top of the line/Performance bracing and L.R.Baggs IMix electronics). I am going to ask for the 6 series finish Road Tough with the tribal design on the front lower bout and the Tribal Sun Rosette all in Charcoal. I will always love wood but the resistance to temperature and humidity as well as how unbelievable they sound and play is incredible.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
OOOOPS LOL. I guess if I would have POSTED the link it would help alot now wouldn`t it Lee
Thanks Lee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber