The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, we should find out soon for sure, depending on how Peavey chooses to handle this new business of theirs. I think that is the "wild card" right now.

Tony
Yes, and initial pricing (at least for the Cargo) will tell us a lot about how Peavey thinks they can manage things. I am guessing that a business their size would not come in with extreme low-ball retail pricing, intending to raise the price dramatically in the near-future...but time will certainly tell...as with the potential product changes/improvements, as well!

Back on-topic, I think a well-made small-body wood guitar with short-scale** (**24" or less, and proper adult specs elsewhere) is still something that hasn't been fully exploited in the marketplace. There's the Larrivée Parlor, but not much beyond that in the truly short-scale marketplace. The Taylor Mini is there, but I point to the nut and bridge limitations on an instrument such as this. The Larrivée is a bit over-built, and the bridge spacing is simply too narrow.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM

One reason that short scale guitars in standard tuning are not widely made is that short fat strings generally don't sound as good as long skinny ones. Long scale instruments gained popularity because for steel strings they usually sound better.
On some of my travel guitars I am combining a 25.4inch scale with a parlor (size 1) body. With a removable neck even a triple O or OM can be taken as carry-on.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
One reason that short scale guitars in standard tuning are not widely made is that short fat strings generally don't sound as good as long skinny ones. Long scale instruments gained popularity because for steel strings they usually sound better.
On some of my travel guitars I am combining a 25.4inch scale with a parlor (size 1) body. With a removable neck even a triple O or OM can be taken as carry-on.

Here's what a 24" scale length guitar can sound like, when properly amplified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHeChne4sw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRObGQ6YgWs

Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM

Sorry, no plastic guitar for me no matter what the cost.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Sorry, no plastic guitar for me no matter what the cost.

So you're not interested in the old Selmer-Maccaferri plastic guitars.

How about modern Carbon Fiber instruments, which are not made out of plastic?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Hi Larry,
I will admit, when properly amplified, many short scale guitars sound good. The Gibson byrdland has a 23 1/2 inch S.L. Some short scales don't even require amplification. But generally speaking as the strings get shorter and thicker the upper partials tend to go sharp.
One thing I have done to avoid this on short scale instruments, which are usually parlor sizes, is to use classical guitar basses and steel trebles.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
Hi Larry,
I will admit, when properly amplified, many short scale guitars sound good. The Gibson byrdland has a 23 1/2 inch S.L. Some short scales don't even require amplification. But generally speaking as the strings get shorter and thicker the upper partials tend to go sharp.
One thing I have done to avoid this on short scale instruments, which are usually parlor sizes, is to use classical guitar basses and steel trebles.

I can't say that I've experienced what you have said as "generally speaking as the strings get shorter and thicker the upper partials tend to go sharp."

As an aside from the "parlor/small body" nature of this thread, I have recently played a couple of OM sized guitars with 24" scales (by both Mark Blanchard and Kent Chasson), and I have found them to be as fully satisfying acoustically as any full-scale/similar body-size instruments.

Just my opinions, based on my direct experiences. Not too many 15" lower-bout 24" scale guitars out there. There can be remarkable tonal excellence found in this somewhat unusual combination of scale and body sizes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber