The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2023, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yes, the Amulet uses a tape adhesive. This makes it as non-invasive as the LR Baggs HiFi but in my experience, the Amulet sounds much better. Check soon for a Trance Amulet vs LR Baggs Hifi Shootout.
Listened to your demo Ken. The Amulet wins any day.

The Anthem wins also any day against your HiFi recording
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-14-2023, 02:11 PM

I often consider giving the Amulet a try again. The one positive I can say about it is that it was always eq'd right when I used it live. It took very little tweaking. I just always found it to be a bit too thin. Maybe I should have adjusted the balance on the preamp. I also found that when strummed hard, it sounded like a piezo, which it is, but closer to a UST type of tone.

I remember hearing that Trance was going to release an Amulet with the option to add a second pickup. This is intriguing, but at the same time, I am not sure what I would add to it. I don't really like magnetic pickups and I have yet to find a good passive UST.

I do wish that Baggs would further develop the Anthem. Adding a body sensor would really add a lot to that pickup. Maybe even compete with the Cole Clark system.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I often consider giving the Amulet a try again. The one positive I can say about it is that it was always eq'd right when I used it live. It took very little tweaking. I just always found it to be a bit too thin. Maybe I should have adjusted the balance on the preamp. I also found that when strummed hard, it sounded like a piezo, which it is, but closer to a UST type of tone.

I remember hearing that Trance was going to release an Amulet with the option to add a second pickup. This is intriguing, but at the same time, I am not sure what I would add to it. I don't really like magnetic pickups and I have yet to find a good passive UST.

I do wish that Baggs would further develop the Anthem. Adding a body sensor would really add a lot to that pickup. Maybe even compete with the Cole Clark system.

Do you mean turning the Anthem into a 3 source system by adding the body sensors. Sign me up to be a test subject
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA For Sale https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=686486
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-16-2023, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

I am picking up my Collings D1 Traditional tomorrow from my guitar tech who is installing the Baggs HiFi. It was the most non invasive so I figured I'd give it a try. So far I've heard a lot of Baggs HiFi demos, most of which disappointed me greatly. Color me nervous.

The good news is the HiFi can be uninstalled relatively easily. But what will I install in its place? The Anthem has been my "Go-to" for years but this guitar has a long cut-through saddle preventing me from dropping in an Anthem where the Element needs to go under the saddle. Sigh.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-17-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I am picking up my Collings D1 Traditional tomorrow from my guitar tech who is installing the Baggs HiFi. It was the most non invasive so I figured I'd give it a try. So far I've heard a lot of Baggs HiFi demos, most of which disappointed me greatly. Color me nervous.

The good news is the HiFi can be uninstalled relatively easily. But what will I install in its place? The Anthem has been my "Go-to" for years but this guitar has a long cut-through saddle preventing me from dropping in an Anthem where the Element needs to go under the saddle. Sigh.
A UST can be installed in a cut-through saddle. A luthier would need to do it but it is possible. The other thing to consider is simply keeping that guitar acoustic. I know your collection changes, but I feel like you have some great stage guitars. I would just keep the Collings as is. Or, try the Amulet. It's just as easy to install as the HiFi and tends to have a lot of fans.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:34 AM

the installation instructions for the Amulet give me a headache
http://tranceaudio.com/manuals/Tranc...ateInstall.pdf

I've installed probably over 10 Anthem SLs and they sound much better to me and can install one without jumping through hoops. The amulet video Maury posted sounds OK...certainly better than the HiFi, but I would only consider it if it sounded better than the Anthem, which IMO it does not. Plus in the time it takes to read and understand all the instructions and make the jigs, etc., I could be done with an Anthem installation.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
the installation instructions for the Amulet give me a headache
http://tranceaudio.com/manuals/Tranc...ateInstall.pdf

I've installed probably over 10 Anthem SLs and they sound much better to me and can install one without jumping through hoops. The amulet video Maury posted sounds OK...certainly better than the HiFi, but I would only consider it if it sounded better than the Anthem, which IMO it does not. Plus in the time it takes to read and understand all the instructions and make the jigs, etc., I could be done with an Anthem installation.
Jack, have you listened to your Anthem recorded Direct-To-Computer with ALL FLAT EQ IN THE SIGNAL CHAIN and NO EFFECTS? Obviously, you need to have the internal mic in the signal mix to render the Anthem's tone. I judge any pickup system using the "sterile" method mentioned at the outset of this paragraph. All pickup systems usually sound better when EQ'ed to personal tonal preference and broadcast through a PA speaker or acoustic amp. My installations with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy eliminate all the fussing with clamps and the 12-hour wait per Amulet. My epoxy installations sound much better than when I used the recommended Trance adhesive strips. Caveat: I've talked to Gary Hull the owner of Trance Audio and he said using anything other than the recommended adhesive will introduce some kind of trebly things to the amplified tone and ruin it. I don't hear any of that. My Trance installations sound full and here-and-now like a K&K installation but have excellent string-to-string balance and clarity of tone. More Trance demos to come with the system adjusted for what I hear as its best tone setting on the Tone Wheel.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-18-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Jack, have you listened to your Anthem recorded Direct-To-Computer with ALL FLAT EQ IN THE SIGNAL CHAIN and NO EFFECTS? Obviously, you need to have the internal mic in the signal mix to render the Anthem's tone. I judge any SINGLE-SOURCE pickup system using the "sterile" method mentioned at the outset of this paragraph. All pickup systems usually sound better when EQ'ed to personal tonal preference and broadcast through a PA speaker or acoustic amp. My installations with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy eliminate all the fussing with clamps and the 12-hour wait per Amulet. My epoxy installations sound much better than when I used the recommended Trance adhesive strips. Caveat: I've talked to Gary Hull the owner of Trance Audio and he said using anything other than the recommended adhesive will introduce some kind of trebly things to the amplified tone and ruin it. I don't hear any of that. My Trance installations sound full and here-and-now like a K&K installation but have excellent string-to-string balance and clarity of tone. More Trance demos to come with the system adjusted for what I hear as its best tone setting on the Tone Wheel.
Yes I have heard Anthems through direct recordings, but ultimately, I am very happy with how my Anthems sound through my PA speakers so there's no need to experiment with other systems at the moment. If you found something you like then go with it.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I think Aaron Short has the right idea that the HiFi is just the first of a line of products using it. Dual source anyone?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-18-2023, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I feel the same with Dazzos. No need to change.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-19-2023, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I feel the same with Dazzos. No need to change.
Brick, I think we can safely say that LR Baggs didn't copy the Dazzo design for the HiFi.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-19-2023, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

I am personally getting a very good, musical sound from the Baggs HiFi. Maybe it's my light to medium attack but its working our really well so far. First gig tests are the next two days. I cannot compare to the Amulet however.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
baggs hi-fi, baggs hifi, lr baggs hi fi, trance audio, trance audio amulet