The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 PM

Default Using High Quality Parametric EQ is the KEY to Controlling K&K or ANY Pickup System

Aloha Rodrigo & All Giggers,

Great Review, Rodrigo! More to come, I'll bet.

As a retired 50+ year gigger, I used external vocal & guitar mic's exclusively in the 1960's. But I wanted more LIVE control & less feedback. So I've used many, many, many dual-source pickup systems for over six decades. These included many self-made (piezo crystals were so cheap then), SBT's combined with internally-mounted lavalier-type mic's used as dual-source systems - before they (& also blending preamps) were ever manufactured for acoustic guitar giggers.

NOTE: I tried every different kind of pickup & mic combo over the years. SBT's combined with a mic still sound the most natural to me, other than a great external mic in a quiet space. My goal for live has always been to achieve natural acoustic sound.

When UST's came on the market in the early 1970's, they never sounded natural enough for me to jettison my SBT-based dual-source systems. Even adding an internal or external mic to a UST never helped make them sound more natural or less quacky. Separately Controlling the frequencies of BOTH sources with great EQ became absolutely essential for live giggers.

Instead of using the inadequate small UST-quack-based EQ "preamp's" of LR Baggs, Yamaha, & later Fishman, etc., I tried to use better mixers (huge & heavy in the '60's & '70's) that had the best onboard EQ I could find to control my dual-source amplification at live gigs in many types of venues.

Some solo guitarists say that EQ is not that important for live applications. But giggers end up in the most challenging sonic situations of all, & in the worst reflective venues, that we really NEED great EQ! It's rarely nice clear stages for us guys, right? Ha! More like you're in a tight corner, slammed against a glass window, part of the lanai shrubbery outdoors with bad traffic noise, or very close to that long salad bar line!

That worked pretty well, but not consistently, especially including the mic signal. So again, I upgraded to studio-grade, parametric EQ units to control my live sound - like Rane.

I also made smaller 00-sized guitars in the 70's for gigging because larger jumbo's & dreadnaughts created many "booming" feedback challenges for controling live sound & even for recording. That's a real problem that many players refuse to even think about with using their huge, imbalanced guitars on stages.

NOTE: To James May, I've found that it is less about the resonance of a given guitar in terms of feedback potential. It's more about the size. Smaller & more balanced is better than Big Bassy Boomers for live. Question? You seem to plant lots of "EQ" doubts in your K&K threads. Is that because you're trying to sell or promote a competing system?

In 2005, I put my first K&K mini/AKG 416 internal condenser mic combo's into my self-made 00-sized gigging guitars. Nice natural acoustic sound. But it wasn't until I ran the two signals through a Pendulum SPS-1 Live Dual-Source Blending preamp that I was finally able to completely control them in every gigging situation.

The SPS-1 was considered the "industry standard" for all it's 25-year existence (thank's Greg!). And, it's fully parametric EQ worked better, to me, than that found on today's standard - the Felix's. It was the BEST!

RE: K&K & Feedback - I have never had a single feedback episode when using a K&K dual-source system through great parametric EQ in ANY venue. That's The KEY, guys. No matter which pickup you're using.

Being a realistic & prepared kind of guy, I also did not expect ANY acoustic guitar pickup to work well in really loud situations or on crowded stages with a band. So I would add a MacMic dynamic P/U on the spot to one of my gigging guitars wired for it with a separate jack, turn off the mic's, & play slide as loudly as I wanted to with any band! Because one pickup cannot work perfectly in every gigging situation. Be prepared guys! Things can get loud fast at gigs.

Additionally, I never had to use a soundhole cover ever because, as Rodrigo said, it does really change the sound. I never needed it, even on big stages, because I was playing smaller guitars.

SUGGESTION: Play smaller guitars & Invest More into great parametric EQ (with sweepable mid's) & preamps that really can control your LIVE pickup systems. You cannot do that on the cheap through the usual suppliers. Look at pro audio suppliers! For giggers, it's even essential!

Rodrigo, I'm impressed by all your research & the audio samples as you fully audition your new K&K Trinity Pro System. It's refreshing to see such a positive attitude as yours come into the AGF gear threads. Thank you!

Just sharing what I know.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-02-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
SUGGESTION: Play smaller guitars & Invest More into great parametric EQ (with sweepable mid's) & preamps that really can control your LIVE pickup systems. You cannot do that on the cheap through the usual suppliers. Look at pro audio suppliers! For giggers, it's even essential!
Hi Alohachris,

have you ever tried going digital?
* SPS1 is expansive, nowdays you can have unlimited parametric EQ power with a digital mixer (ex: Behringer, Mackie...). Even the JBL eon one pro speaker provides 2 shelves and 4 fully parametric EQ on all channels.
* Did you try IR (ex: Tonedexter or Baggs Voiceprint DI)

Cheers,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-03-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
That's exactly the plan, Cuki! K&K Preamp to blend and send the blended signal to one of the Felix channel, and use the other channel for the vocal microphone. I think I'll make it work pretty nicelly. A good EQ (specially with HPF) will save my butt! Hahahahhaha!
Ha just be careful of the boost switch.. Although i think the lastest version of felix has a switch to disable the boost on the mic ch.
i tried this with my felix (older version) and when i hit the boost for
a guitar solo at a gig the mic squeeled.. I knew better..but i did it anyway...ha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
k&k mini trinity, k&k sound, k&k trinity, neumann km-184, neumann u87ai