The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Default 3 in a line tuners vs individual ones

I am looking at tuners to buy for a new guitar (aka not yet built) and wondered about nice looking Waverly 3 in line tuners. I think that typically this style was found on lower priced models like the Gibson B-15 I grew up with in the 60s. But these Waverlys are very attractive.

Since almost all very nice guitars today do NOT use such tuners, I wonder why? Does anyone, especially builders, have an answer? If it is just about tradition, are there any functional reasons not to use them? I am talking about ones for a flat headstock not a slot head.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
If it is just about tradition, are there any functional reasons not to use them?
Like everything else in this business, it's a bit of both. Tradition often comes from good functional design.

From the earliest days Gibson used three-on-a-plate tuners for flat peg heads, right up until close to 1930. Martin never used those tuners because they don't install tuners in a straight line on each side - there's a slight offset to allow a better path for the string to go from tuner to nut. In Martin's case the choice of peg alignment harks back a hundred years before solid peg heads were standard for the company. That legacy probably kept them from even considering changing the pattern.

Frank Ford

Last edited by Frank Ford; 07-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Default Thank you!

That makes sense. I look at the headstocks now and see what you mean. Considering how meticulous I am with "orderly string winds," the separate tuners is the only way to go. I have noticed before that they are slightly off and thought it was just a mistake. Now I know!

Question answered! Appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Since the Gotoh 510s came out, IMO there hasn't been a good reason to use anything else. I vehemently dislike Waverly tuners.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:18 PM

My opinion is..if you have a good tuner that works for what your doing...then go for it..

Martin guitar is not the holy grail of guitars..I visited the plant, museum, and store...you can not tell me that they are hand made...Robots and computers do most of the work...only thing I saw that was done by hand was neck fitting, and quality control on the body before it went into a computer operated finish area. Braces are pre made...hand glued...vacum press holds it down...The inlay I saw was all CNC.. Only really amazing part of the tour was the service techs..they where tearing down stuff from the late 1880's when I was there and making it like new. They had a guitar from Neil Young...and James Taylor.

I've always been a Gibson fan..love how they play..sound and feel...Totally different that a Martin...or a Taylor which I have only played around with but never really played...

Bottom line...a quality tuner...is a quality tuner...doesn't matter if it's on a plate..or a single..

I've used both Gotoh's and Grovers

Last edited by stuw; 07-05-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 AM

Just a guess here, but I think another issue, from the manufacturer's standpoint, is marketing...

Individual tuners allow builders to make their headstocks any shape or length they want. Manufacturers couldn't afford to make 3-on-a-strip tuners in all sorts of lengths, or custom lengths; they wouldn't sell enough of each size to justify making them. Individual tuners solves the problem for both the manufacturers and the guitar builders.

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 AM

Martin may not be a hand made guitar or a holy grail but they have certainly earned a reputation for being a standard to go by in the industry.

As for Waverly, I've never had a problem with the one's I've used. They seem to be good tuners to me.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Martin may not be a hand made guitar or a holy grail but they have certainly earned a reputation for being a standard to go by in the industry.

As for Waverly, I've never had a problem with the one's I've used. They seem to be good tuners to me.
McDonalds has earned a reputation and is a "go to" standard in fast food... That says nothing about their quality.

I have used the same phrase several times - Martin's are not a holy grail. They are Martin's, and most of what they do they do very well. It never ceases to baffle me, however, that they cannot fit their bridge pins to the pin hole taper properly... *still baffled*

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair