The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Saw Ed Sheeran and his Wee Low

Saw Ed Sheeran perform last night a Gillette stadium in MA. Just him, his baby acoustic and his pedals. Oh, and some impressive lights.

What a show! What a showman! My kids turned me on to him a couple years ago. In learning a few of his more popular songs I watched several YouTubes and was pretty impressed with his live cuts. So when the opportunity presented itself I took the family to see him.

I’ll tell you guys, whether you like his stuff or not the man gave a full two hour master class on how to engage an audience. Any solo performer could learn a lot from watching this guy. It honestly felt like it was just him playing for 50,000 of his closest friends. He really spends a lot of time talking with and engaging the audience. He is as good a stage master as anyone from my generation if you ask me.

At age 60, my wife and I were not alone. All age groups were very visible throughout the crowd. I saw many three generation families there. Very cool. I was shocked at how many people young and old were singing to his songs (which he encourages). It was clear that his goal was to make sure everyone had a good time and felt appreciated for being there.

As for the show, man he knows his stuff. Completely seamless use of technology to create amazing layers of guitar, vocals and percussion (mostly from his guitar). Any looper would be in awe. Granted, not the most complex stuff but he mixed it up - strumming, picking, fingering the guitar were all well done.

He plays the living crap out of that Wee Lowden on several songs, reaches over and grabs a new in-tune one from his roadie, and then right on to the next song. I counted at least six, probably more guitar swaps. I couldn’t tell if any Martins were in the mix or just Lowdens but they sounded rich and full. It is a very good looking guitar I must say. Super thin and the sides/backs had a killer looking rosewood that just jumped out at you. Pretty amazing what sounds he could get out of that thing. He also played that very cool looking electric Lowden on a song or two.

Anyway. It was great to see such a terrific singer/songwriter acoustic player from this generation. It’s encouraging. There is a lot of really bad music out there today, but there are some very talented artists as well.

Last edited by HeyMikey; 09-15-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the report. I hear his songs on the radio then read that he is also a solo artist live. Quite impressive; a talented musician, singer songwriter and performer.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM

I think he was a busker for quite a long time, so he's likely more down to Earth than most pop stars.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

A very confident talented young man. Thanks for your killer review!

I remember the Stevie Wonder tribute TV song he did a few years back.
I couldn't believe he went up after all these great R&B Diva's and bands.
Ed sleighed a great Stevie Wonder song.
With the man of the hour, and entourage, right in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuhRlw0XA4

Nice to see 2018 bring acoustic songs into people's setlist!

I didn't know he is on The Wee Lowden's. I better get current.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, there are some old busking videos on youtube. I have to agree with the OP. Amazing entertainer ... he’s a good player, but nothing that fancy. It’s the way he mixes things up that blows me away. Acoustic player mostly, uses a lot of percussive techniques for beats, without unnecessary theatrics. And I don’t think anyone uses a looper as effectively. Then mixes all that up with a versatile voice .. not to mention his genre bending pop, which actually is a bit theatric. It is almost a relief in the midst of so much over-produced auotuned music today. Don’t trust anyone over 30:-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-15-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
A very confident talented young man. Thanks for your killer review!

I remember the Stevie Wonder tribute TV song he did a few years back.
I couldn't believe he went up after all these great R&B Diva's and bands.
Ed sleighed a great Stevie Wonder song.
With the man of the hour, and entourage, right in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuhRlw0XA4

Nice to see 2018 bring acoustic songs into people's setlist!

I didn't know he is on The Wee Lowden's. I better get current.
Whoa! Great performance. Everything i just wrote demonstrated:-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Seen Ed Sheehan twice. He is every bit as impressive as you describe him.

I prefer him, by a wide margin, to the pantheon of acoustic performers from my youth: both as a songwriter and as a singer.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Great video tippy5. He is a terrific live performer. He opened with my favorite, Castle On The Hill, which set the tone for the night. He finished with You need me, I don’t need you - which is utterly “massive” live.

Here is an early rendition on a Martin (I think) in a live studio. It’s fuller and more complex, though not as long, at his show.

https://youtu.be/DV0TJZ7Kp40

Last edited by HeyMikey; 09-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
I think he was a busker for quite a long time, so he's likely more down to Earth than most pop stars.
Yes, he was a busker with his Little Martin, that's how he got his start. I agree, he's a mega talented singer-songwriter whose music has wide appeal. My sister, great-niece(13) and her friend were all listening to him in the car recently, and the kids weren't enjoying him anymore than grandma and great-aunt! I'd love to see him live!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM

My wife had me watch his 2015 'Shape of You' Grammy performance, and I was stunned. I had no idea how good this kid is.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes! What a wonderful performer and song craftsman. He is also very engaging in interviews - just comes across as a guy you'd enjoy grabbing lunch with, except with the addition of being a phenomenal singer songwriter. Thanks for giving us some insight into his concert - I've never seen him live, but v very much enjoyed your write up
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN