The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default A Martin or a Bigsby?

A couple of years ago, Martin introduced an interesting guitar based on their classic D-28 but sporting a maple neck that feels like it came straight off of a Stratocaster, and probably the biggest headstock they've ever produced to create the D-28 "Bigsby" model guitar. This is their second "Merle Travis" inspired guitar with the first being released around 2007 and sporting a pickguard worthy of the oversized headstock and playing card inlays. The new model is much more subdued and designed to be more of a re-imagined D-28 than a tribute to a specific player.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...s/d-28-bigsby/

And the headstock includes its own postal code as well. Jokes about the headstock size aside, the guitar actually feels quite balanced in your hands and the neck quickly makes your brain shift gear to "electric mode" which subsequently changes the way you approach playing this guitar. It is an absolute joy of a creative tool as this takes your playing into all kinds of new directions and realms. The body is classic D-28 but the sound is noticeably brighter due to the neck. This gives you an interesting mix of strong bass and cutting mids and highs that further pushes your playing into new places. The six inline headstock also gives the strings a more springy feel than a standard D-28 with overall lengths being different.

You can make up your own mind about the aesthetics but I bought it because it was so different and funky compared to Martin's usual fare. I really like the looks of it personally and somehow scored an example with a super flamey Claro Walnut headstock. Though the headstock says "Bigsby" on the front side it is actually lightly stamped with CF Martin's logo on the back side. The interior label is signed by Chris Martin IV and Fred Gretsch.

The guitar comes standard with the D-28 hardshell case and removing the guitar from the case is a bit like playing the game "Operation". You have to carefully steer the headstock away from the case hardware but only once you've lifted it dangerously close to the sharp case latches will the neck actually move, so it's a precarious procedure. A custom case with a wider opening ability should have been specified. However, once out of the case this guitar is very hard to want to put back up and I promise you'll agree!

I cannot seem to find a page for the original D-28M Merle Travis Limited Edition on Martin's website, only a reference on their "Sounding Board" from June 2008 but here is the 2007 limited edition (Guitar for sale at Wildwood Guitars):

Does anyone else have one of these or has anyone played one (new or old model) and care to comment?

J.R. Rogers
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 PM

So glad you're enjoying yours! Interesting guitar but not for me.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
A couple of years ago, Martin introduced an interesting guitar based on their classic D-28 but sporting a maple neck that feels like it came straight off of a Stratocaster, and probably the biggest headstock they've ever produced to create the D-28 "Bigsby" model guitar. This is their second "Merle Travis" inspired guitar with the first being released around 2007 and sporting a pickguard worthy of the oversized headstock and playing card inlays. The new model is much more subdued and designed to be more of a re-imagined D-28 than a tribute to a specific player.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...s/d-28-bigsby/

And the headstock includes its own postal code as well. Jokes about the headstock size aside, the guitar actually feels quite balanced in your hands and the neck quickly makes your brain shift gear to "electric mode" which subsequently changes the way you approach playing this guitar. It is an absolute joy of a creative tool as this takes your playing into all kinds of new directions and realms. The body is classic D-28 but the sound is noticeably brighter due to the neck. This gives you an interesting mix of strong bass and cutting mids and highs that further pushes your playing into new places. The six inline headstock also gives the strings a more springy feel than a standard D-28 with overall lengths being different.

You can make up your own mind about the aesthetics but I bought it because it was so different and funky compared to Martin's usual fare. I really like the looks of it personally and somehow scored an example with a super flamey Claro Walnut headstock. Though the headstock says "Bigsby" on the front side it is actually lightly stamped with CF Martin's logo on the back side. The interior label is signed by Chris Martin IV and Fred Gretsch.

The guitar comes standard with the D-28 hardshell case and removing the guitar from the case is a bit like playing the game "Operation". You have to carefully steer the headstock away from the case hardware but only once you've lifted it dangerously close to the sharp case latches will the neck actually move, so it's a precarious procedure. A custom case with a wider opening ability should have been specified. However, once out of the case this guitar is very hard to want to put back up and I promise you'll agree!

I cannot seem to find a page for the original D-28M Merle Travis Limited Edition on Martin's website, only a reference on their "Sounding Board" from June 2008 but here is the 2007 limited edition (Guitar for sale at Wildwood Guitars):

Does anyone else have one of these or has anyone played one (new or old model) and care to comment?

J.R. Rogers
The closest I've came to one, was hearing Thom Bresh play his, during an evening concert at a local winery. Of course, he could make a Micky Mouse guitar sound great!

Thom is a heck of a cool guy, and has been a hero of mine for years, & years... I often day dreamed about having the "Breshman" life style.. It seemed about as much fun as one could have, while supporting oneself?

Now, I'm worried about him? The virus shutdown has set successful musicians, right on their heels! They've been effectively fired! I'm sure he's not the only one suffering, but I sure hate thinking about how someone I wanted to be, changed into someone I'm lucky I'm not, in such a short time?

Don
Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I love it. The headstock has echoes of the early Stauffer Martins.

http://vintagemartin.com/stauffer.html

Plus, the mischievous side of me loves the fact that it really messes with the purists
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-28-2020, 02:33 PM

How you doing, J.R.? What an interesting guitar. I've never seen a Martin like that. I chuckled when you mentioned the game 'operation'. I was never good at that game as a kid so I suspect I'd have trouble getting the guitar out of the case.

Does it sound like a standard D-28?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:49 PM

It's a nice tribute to the late great Paul Bigsby who built Merle's guitar back in around 1950 or so. He made very ornate high quality guitars at the time when Fender was pumping out working man production line classics. Leo would have loved to have Travis as a sponsor but he liked Bigsby's work better.

Any electric guitars would know what Paul Bigsby later did in life.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I played one of the recent ones. It was decent and obviously unique. The neck felt thinner than I would have expected, but it was fun to play. It sounded pretty good and played great.

Here's the original Merle...

Old 05-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I played one of the recent ones. It was decent and obviously unique. The neck felt thinner than I would have expected, but it was fun to play. It sounded pretty good and played great.

Here's the original Merle...

I grew up in Newhall, CA. Merle was famous neighbor of nearby Saugus. A close family friend was courting him at the time, trying to get Merle to invest in a tubeless tire repair invention. (Merle loved inventions...)

I was 12, or 13, when introduced to him. He came to "Mitch's" house to review the invention's potential.. Mitch told him I was a big fan, and was trying play the guitar, just like him. I had my guitar nearby, and played a brief number. Merle was impressed that I had a Martin guitar, at such a young age. He went out to his car, and brought in an invention to show me that he was hoping get Martin interested in...

I think it was a D-28, with two DeArmond P/Us, and a Bixby floating bridge, complete with a vibrato lever! He must have had a huge support system built inside the guitar to make it work? Now, it seems downright foolish, but at the time, I ogled it like it was a new Cadillac!

For me, it was a wonderful meeting, & conversation. Mitch promptly steered him into another room, so they could talk business..... I wonder what ever became of that Merle Travis invention, and suspect if he ever showed it to Martin, they would have just laughed at it?

Don
Old 05-28-2020, 05:45 PM

I like the recent Martin Versions of these. I've played a 40's Gibson that Paul Bigsby re-necked and it was fantastic.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Plus, the mischievous side of me loves the fact that it really messes with the purists
No. Really. We're ignoring it. Every once in a while an abomination comes along, and we close our eyes until it vanishes into the night.

This too will pass.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
I grew up in Newhall, CA. Merle was famous neighbor of nearby Saugus. A close family friend was courting him at the time, trying to get Merle to invest in a tubeless tire repair invention. (Merle loved inventions...)

I was 12, or 13, when introduced to him. He came to "Mitch's" house to review the invention's potential.. Mitch told him I was a big fan, and was trying play the guitar, just like him. I had my guitar nearby, and played a brief number. Merle was impressed that I had a Martin guitar, at such a young age. He went out to his car, and brought in an invention to show me that he was hoping get Martin interested in...

I think it was a D-28, with two DeArmond P/Us, and a Bixby floating bridge, complete with a vibrato lever! He must have had a huge support system built inside the guitar to make it work? Now, it seems downright foolish, but at the time, I ogled it like it was a new Cadillac!

For me, it was a wonderful meeting, & conversation. Mitch promptly steered him into another room, so they could talk business..... I wonder what ever became of that Merle Travis invention, and suspect if he ever showed it to Martin, they would have just laughed at it?

Don
Awesome!

You might enjoy a book called The Birth Of Loud. It's really about the electric guitar but it talks about some of those inventions early on. I don't remember the Merle one you are talking about but it's a good read.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/boo.../9781501141737
Old 05-29-2020, 06:23 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How you doing, J.R.?

Does it sound like a standard D-28?
Hello, Dru! I'm hanging in there! Not exactly like a D-28 although the body is the unmistakeable box. This guitar is real loud. If you want to cut through the mix in your song circle, this is your guitar.

bufflehead - haha!

Osage - that's cool. I would love to play that Gibson. Did you notice the neck angle on this guitar? Definitely more Gibson than Fender.

redir - I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

eatswodo - exactly!

gr81dorn - thank you for the great pic of Merle and his custom! Is that a burl of some kind used for the headstock overlay on his? Spalted maple?

Don - I'd love to play that D-28 with the DeArmonds. That sounds interesting. It had a vibrato of some kind too?

JR
Old 05-29-2020, 06:41 PM

Very cool guitar! Not sure what else you own but I bet this one adds diversity to the portfolio, which to me is the point of any collection.

Funny thing is, I am a bit shocked by how much I like the pick guard and fretboard inlays from the original.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion