The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Cool Emerald Quarantine Projects

Hi Guys,

As you know, we have been doing what we can to keep the show on the road during these strange times. Alistair is working on the customs and is sharing some of the work over on the Instagram tv (and likely other places too). I know a lot of you guys arnt on those platforms so i thought id share the links here as i think youll enjoy it! Let me know your thoughts or if you're having any issues watching them! Ill try to keep this updated if you guys like.

Stay safe

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAGNxGQ...d=t09gdo00jpey
Old 05-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing, Simon....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Thank you Simon. I enjoy watching the various Emerald videos whenever it is possible - and I watch very few on-line videos as a rule. As someone who avoids most social media (AGF is the major exception) the direct links are helpful. It is not feasible for me to log in or follow a channel. So I say, "Keep 'em coming here...." if you can.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Please do keep 'em coming Simon.

A question: any likelihood of a near term update to the X20 for a heelless neck like the X10 and X30?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Please do keep 'em coming Simon.

A question: any likelihood of a near term update to the X20 for a heelless neck like the X10 and X30?
As far as i know its something Alistair has been toying with. The x20 is now the longest standing model unchanged, but its also one of our most popular!

It may be a case of introducing a new variant whilst retaining the current model, but its not something we have discussed! From a production point of view, making moulds and tooling take some time, and due to current restrictions its not something we are actively working on. SO to answer your question, "near term": unlikely, someday; i think so!

I know we have made some heel-less x20s in the past, and have currently a few requests for ones, so who knows!

What would be your dream specs for a new x20? I personally am a sucker for a slotted headstock with fan frets! That with a heel-less neck and some simple inlays!
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
What would be your dream specs for a new x20? I personally am a sucker for a slotted headstock with fan frets! That with a heel-less neck and some simple inlays!
I’d go for the slot head and fan frets in a heartbeat. I love the fan frets on my X20-7 - that standard feature was a major reason for my purchase.

The current neck is just fine with me, but heel-less would be cool; I love the thought of inlays, but (as with veneer) I’m too cheap to pay for them
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The x20 is now the longest standing model unchanged, but its also one of our most popular!
Simon,

There's been some recent discussion (and some in the past) on whether the X20 went through some changes in soundboard construction in recent years that changed its voice. It's best to hear it from the horses mouth, would you please care to shed some light on this?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Simon,

There's been some recent discussion (and some in the past) on whether the X20 went through some changes in soundboard construction in recent years that changed its voice. It's best to hear it from the horses mouth, would you please care to shed some light on this?
That's the first ive heard of it to be completely honest, certainly not in the time ive been with the company. Potentially before that, but not to my knowledge. I think the x20 is something that alistair is pretty proud of, and looking through the back catalogue you can see that it really set the tone for things to come, and hense had remainded a center point in our range that hasnt been changed.

As you know we dont have (or require) any tradional style bracing within, and our materials/processes have been pretty constant throughout! We do however put a thinner soundboard on nylons.

Todays update video from Alistair:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAIyh3n...d=xuc0a76lhafg
Old 05-13-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’d go for the slot head and fan frets in a heartbeat. I love the fan frets on my X20-7 - that standard feature was a major reason for my purchase.

The current neck is just fine with me, but heel-less would be cool; I love the thought of inlays, but (as with veneer) I’m too cheap to pay for them
We actually have a X20 slotted headstock, fan fret in stock, in red carbon. Its a stunning guitar, undertstated but those who know guitars, its very striking. I think when i get my chance i might have to get something similar into the production que!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
That's the first ive heard of it to be completely honest, certainly not in the time ive been with the company. Potentially before that, but not to my knowledge. I think the x20 is something that alistair is pretty proud of, and looking through the back catalogue you can see that it really set the tone for things to come, and hense had remainded a center point in our range that hasnt been changed.

As you know we dont have (or require) any tradional style bracing within, and our materials/processes have been pretty constant throughout! We do however put a thinner soundboard on nylons.

Todays update video from Alistair:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAIyh3n...d=xuc0a76lhafg
I had to do some digging, but here's a link to the thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=550546

I'm referring to post #7 in that thread where the guy says he talked to Alistair and was told the way they lay the carbon changed. It's not very clear on what was actually done. Just curious, how long have you been with Emerald?
Old 05-13-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We actually have a X20 slotted headstock, fan fret in stock, in red carbon. Its a stunning guitar, undertstated but those who know guitars, its very striking. I think when i get my chance i might have to get something similar into the production que!
Get thee behind me, Simon

I'd never get that past the guards.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Guest 928

Simon;

I see that you have been called the horses mouth. I think that was said with respect and it's certainly better than references to other horse parts.

Carry on, stay healthy, enjoy the show.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:41 PM
Guest 928

Eats;

Surly your guards would not mind sharing the governmental stimulus that could move you to ever-better musical heights. Just how often will your desired instrument become so accessible? Don't be denied and remember, rust never sleeps.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Eats;

Surly your guards would not mind sharing the governmental stimulus that could move you to ever-better musical heights. Just how often will your desired instrument become so accessible? Don't be denied and remember, rust never sleeps.
I had a really good year in 2018. That enabled my X20.

I had an equally good year in 2019 - along came the X20-7.

Sadly, that all meant no stimulus for me.

But, I have no complaints. I have two awesome guitars - and my wife has a beautifully equipped quilting room
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-14-2020, 02:21 AM

OMG - Weissenborn!
OMG - Squareneck resonator!
Be still my beating heart.

If I lived in Ireland I'd be down in a flash to offer unsolicited suggestions and generally be annoying. I'm pretty excited to see how these come out.

Is there going to be any videos on the squareneck? Is it a spider, tricone or biscuit?

I would have thought the X30 body size would be a bit big for the weissenborn to sit on a lap - but I'm sure Alistair knows what he's doing!

Looking forward to more installments.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber