The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
I think you need to rephrase this post.
Malaysia is not a ‘third world country’.
It’s a modern advanced country with high tech manufacturing of both electronics and IT.
after living there for awhile and comparing it to a lot of US cities it’s infrastructure is often more advanced and modern and its workforce as well educated.
Indonesian manufacturing is also rapidly advancing, producing high quality sophisticated goods, Even Yamaha manufacture their pianos there.
They may be an advanced modern country for some items. I’ll stand by my original statement from 2 years ago that their Duracell manufacturing process’s are beyond pathetic unless you enjoy having them leak in whatever you were foolish enough to install them in.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
You're entitled to disagree with me. We just think about it differently.

But where did you find "larger" battery compartments? Does Taylor have them now, or are they a 3rd party purchase?
Note that I agreed with you, but initially didn't want to! Yes, Taylor has the larger battery compartments and the link is in a post above. Another poster noted that these may be covered by the warranty-I just shelled out the $5.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Note that I agreed with you, but initially didn't want to! Yes, Taylor has the larger battery compartments and the link is in a post above. Another poster noted that these may be covered by the warranty-I just shelled out the $5.

I just sent Taylor an email message noting my model and serial asking about the battery holders and warranty coverage. It appears that indeed they have updated the holders and are sending me one free of charge, apparently under warranty.

I would be curious to know when exactly they started shipping guitars with the smaller sized holders and when they changed back over to those that would hold standard batteries without modification?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I just sent Taylor an email message noting my model and serial asking about the battery holders and warranty coverage. It appears that indeed they have updated the holders and are sending me one free of charge, apparently under warranty.

I would be curious to know when exactly they started shipping guitars with the smaller sized holders and when they changed back over to those that would hold standard batteries without modification?
Good for Taylor. They (and Martin for that matter) have always given me great customer service.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 PM

In communicating with Taylor, I just had to ask what happened that suddenly their battery cartridges got smaller. Here is the reply from them, verbatim, in writing:

"Battery makers just started making batteries larger across the board. When we were made aware of that, we had to make a change to our cartridge so it would fit any 9v battery. "

All I know is the 9v battery cartridge on my 2011 614ce/ES1 never had an issue with any 9v batteries. The one that came with my 2017 814 is definitely different and has the battery size issue. As per the modification video from 2013 that I posted earlier, everyone knew there was a problem 7 years ago.

Interpret all of it as you will. But I'm glad that Taylor finally figured out they had to do something.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM
Runaway Tomato

My two Taylors have different sized battery holders. The 2015 110e is smaller, and I have to put Energizers in it. The 2019 814ce has a slightly larger holder and I can use the recommended Duracell.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM

Smile Access to those battery cartridges

I live in New Zealand and we do not have direct access to Taylor. There is one music store chain - the Rockshop - which is the dealer nationally. The battery cartridge issue is well known here! I have 2 Taylors from 2017 which both had the smaller cartridges. In the end I ordered 2 of the replacements from Thomann in Europe. I have not seen them online anywhere closer to us! They were asking a big postage cost to courier to NZ so I asked my sister in the UK to kindly post them to us. Quite a long and difficult path to get them.
After a month they have finally arrived and I am happy to say they ARE larger and they fit the common 9V batteries here (like Energizer) - a big relief! They even have a little pad inside the frame to centre the battery when you put it into the guitar. Happy that I got there in the end.
AT2035 and ATM41HE mikes
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 interface

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion