The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Taylor Hard Bag Interior Dimensions

I recently bought a Yamaha FS830 and would like to get a gig bag for it. The ones I have been looking at are Taylor Hard Bag for DN/GA, Access Stage 3 Small Body and Gator ProGo Acoustic. Considering the cost of the guitar, I don't want to spend as much on the bag as for the instrument and would like to keep it around $100-125.

I don't need a bunch of pockets or a bulky bag, so the Taylor bag seems like a good choice but I am not sure it will fit since I cannot find any dimensions online. From the Taylor guitar specs, it seems like it would work.

If anyone can measure the interior dimensions, I would be extremely grateful!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

While I am not answering your question, the Access Stage One bag is nearly identical to the Taylor HBag. I remember reading somewhere that Access made the bags for Taylor, not dead sure on this...
The Stage One bags ar $79.99, i have one and it's a good bag. Not a Mono, but a sturdy bag. Just a thought

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...tage-one-bags/
Old 05-28-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
I recently bought a Yamaha FS830 and would like to get a gig bag for it. The ones I have been looking at are Taylor Hard Bag for DN/GA, Access Stage 3 Small Body and Gator ProGo Acoustic. Considering the cost of the guitar, I don't want to spend as much on the bag as for the instrument and would like to keep it around $100-125.

I don't need a bunch of pockets or a bulky bag, so the Taylor bag seems like a good choice but I am not sure it will fit since I cannot find any dimensions online. From the Taylor guitar specs, it seems like it would work.

If anyone can measure the interior dimensions, I would be extremely grateful!

The Taylor hard bag is a great bag, I have three of them for several of my guitars...which are all small jumbo size bodies, and they fit just fine. It will fit your Yamaha nicely...maybe...just maybe...a wee bit large in the lower bout...the bag, not your guitar...but even if your guitar's lower bout moves a tiny bit, it will NOT hurt it at all, or make you guitar less safe and secure.

I don't know if Access makes the Taylor bag, they look similar...BUT...the Taylor bag IS a little bit better made, having seen them both together. I would personally spend the extra and get the Taylor.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 PM

Hey Hollybrook— I have that Taylor Gig Bag. I don’t have an FS830, but I DO have the Yammy FS800. I’m not sure if they’re the same size - but I just pulled that Taylor bag out and put the FS800 in it.

It fits. There is zero wiggle room and it’s very snug, but it fits perfectly fine.

The FS800 is a 2017 model. I guess you should check and see if the 830 is the same in size. If it’s any bigger, it might be a struggle.

IMG_1972.jpgIMG_1971.jpgIMG_1590691268.966943.jpg

Last edited by jkilgour2000; 05-28-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM

I just wanted to show THIS bag too. It’s a bag that come with the FGX3. It’s such a better bag by leaps and bounds. It’s “semi-hard” or whatever that’s called. It has a support for the neck too. I’m not sure if yammy sells this bag only, but it makes that Taylor bag look weak.IMG_1974.jpgIMG_1973.jpgIMG_1975.jpg
Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 PM

My Taylor Hard Bag is 41'' long, the lower bout is 16'' and the upper is 11''.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Just a heads up - Guitar Center has the RR2 Boulevard series bags on sale for 50% off at $40. They have a Parlor, OM, and full size available - one of those might work for you. You can get the dimensions to check here:

https://roadrunnercases.com/boulevar...ar-bags-cases/
Old 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
My Taylor Hard Bag is 41'' long, the lower bout is 16'' and the upper is 11''.

I use the Taylor bag for a (non-Taylor) 41" x 16" x 5" dreadnought and a 41" x 15 1/4" x 4 1/14" concert pro.

The dread fits snugly (but not tight) and the concert pro fits comfortably (not loose).

The Taylor Web site says the bag comes in two sizes: a larger size for dreadnoughts and gread auditorium, and a smaller version for the GS-Mini.

This bag is great because it is nicely padded, light weight, easy to carry to festivals and sessions, and the tan colour is easy to locate in a jumble of black bags.

The pocket is good for music books and song sheets etc. A small music stand fits under the neck.

I'd previously bought a stronger gig bag but rarely use it because it's klutzy and heavier.

This bag is supplied with lower cost Taylor guitars but is sometimes left at dealers when the customer wants a hard shell case. Worth checking at Taylor dealers. Mine was discounted but I would have gladly paid full price.

Cheers.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:23 PM

Default Thanks for the help!

Thanks to all of you for the great info -- I really appreciate the quick responses!

I purchased a demo Taylor Hard Bag from Sweetwater through eBay using the current 10% off promo for $81. It has a couple of scuffs on the outside, but that will happen pretty soon anyway, so now I don't have to worry as much about keeping it pristine!
Old 05-28-2020, 03:57 PM

Glad you went for it. Any time I take a guitar out of the house, it goes in the Taylor hard bag.

My Taylor hard bag houses Taylor GA's, my Rainsong WS-1000, and several of my Emerald X20's. It has also carried a variety of dreadnoughts and my Seagull S6. Anything that isn't too big to fit, in other words. I like the protection it provides, the plethora of well planned handles, and the really nice zippered compartment for accessories. I rarely use a hard case for anything but humidity storage for my remaining wood guitars.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 PM

I think my FG800 will fit, though it might be tight and I have a hard case for it. The FS830 is the guitar that will be doing most of the travelling, along with the Ovation once I have time to do a fret job on it.

Humidity is not a big issue for us. One of my daughters has allergies and especially to dust mites, so we keep the house at 45-50% RH all the time which is great for our musical instruments. We sold our piano a few years ago to a professional musician who was thrilled to find the model he wanted from a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

I will post photos once I get the case so that the results get saved here for others having the same question in the future.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:12 PM

I received the gig bag from Sweetwater and after waiting a couple of days quarantine tried it out. The sides are bowed, which might have been the reason for its return. My FS830 fits just fine, perhaps a might bit loose in the lower bout, but fine in my opinion. The FG800 also fits but a little tight for my taste though the bowed sides might account for this.

Thanks for the great advise which led me to exactly what I was looking for!

And for the record, no candy arrived with the case...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion