The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaclearday View Post
Thank you for answering. What is you don't personally like about the Furch guitars you've played?
I have a certain respect for Furch as a factory producer of lightly built guitars but tone wise they do not speak to me. I am after the tone, and I love the Martin signature tone which is present even in all of their guitars, even in their 15, 16 and X series, and I love the Gibson signature tone in their main models, like for example J-45, J-200 and Hummingbird. I do not find much of the tone I like in Furch guitars I played. Nothing wrong with their guitars, just my personal 'hearing'.

For example, in 2016 I played three Furch mahogany dreads in Vintage series, the cheapest was D30SM, then there was 32 and the most expensive I do not recall either 33 or 34, but all three had mahogany back and sides, tops was spruce. There was nothing in common in their sound, as if all three were made by three different guitar makers. Yes, I know they have new color lines now...
Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM

In some ways you are comparing different guitars not brands. What kind of guitar do you want ? A short scale 00 with different body shape/size or a longer scale OM with slightly bigger body etc. Your choice will be influenced by type of music you are playing.
I have played a few Furch guitars and have been impressed, I have owned a few Gibsons, including L-00's, and also fine guitars but can vary quality wise. If you can't play before you buy make sure you have a good return option/guarantee.
The other make I would consider in Europe would be Eastman, they produce both 00's and OM's and I have been impressed with the guitars I have played.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
For example, in 2016 I played three Furch mahogany dreads in Vintage series, the cheapest was D30SM, then there was 32 and the most expensive I do not recall either 33 or 34, but all three had mahogany back and sides, tops was spruce. There was nothing in common in their sound, as if all three were made by three different guitar makers. Yes, I know they have new color lines now...
Furch 33 and 34 has rosewood back and sides, only 30 and 32 are hogs.

https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...-models/30-sm/
https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...-models/31-sr/
https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...-models/32-sm/
https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...-models/33-sr/
https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...-models/34-sr/

Last edited by pbla4024; 05-27-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for answering! What do you mean by very different? I cant really tell as I've never played any of them and moreover I've been mostly an electric guitar player.

I’m sure some of this has been covered by other replies, but essentially the signature tone of both manufacturers is different, and as such their guitars (in general terms) tend to be chosen by different styles of players.

Furch had two series - one modern in sound and one more traditional but generally Furch are favoured by those looking for a fingerstyle guitar with a fair amount of resonance and openness. Gibson tends toward a more traditional American tone and I have certainly never heard any Gibson sound like a Furch regardless of style or wood.

Play one of each if you can and you will hear it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 AM

I have heard many positive comments about Furch guitars and it appears they are well-built.
That being said, if you are seeking the “Gibson” voicing, buy a Gibson.
It may be a little more of a challenge given your location.
As far as build quality goes, I don’t pay much attention to the naysayers about Gibson. My experience has been otherwise.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM

I do not remember exactly, did not write it down anywhere, it is possible that the 3rd dread, the most expensive, had rosewood b&s. In any case, what I do remember well is that all three did not have anything in common tone wise. And none impressed me.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I don't know if I'm qualified to answer. I've got a J-45, but I've never played a Furch, but I've listened to quite a few online demos. To me, it seems like Gibson's are more vintage voiced and Fruch is more modern. Wouldn't the answer start with the type of sound you were going for?
That's a good question to which I should have an answer. But I played almost electric guitar exclusively and own only one acoustic(my first guitar a cheap Epiphone). I can't figure how a vintage acoustic guiar sounds and how a modern one does. What I mainly want is a "sweet" sound, not boomy like a dred, without too much emphasis on the bass, but which is pretty well rounded.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 AM

A Gibson J15 might be a good option.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACC3YP...ntique-Natural

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That's a good question to which I should have an answer. But I played almost electric guitar exclusively and own only one acoustic(my first guitar a cheap Epiphone). I can't figure how a vintage acoustic guiar sounds and how a modern one does. What I mainly want is a "sweet" sound, not boomy like a dred, without too much emphasis on the bass, but which is pretty well rounded.

A Furch OM should fit that description!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have heard many positive comments about Furch guitars and it appears they are well-built.
That being said, if you are seeking the “Gibson” voicing, buy a Gibson.
It may be a little more of a challenge given your location.
As far as build quality goes, I don’t pay much attention to the naysayers about Gibson. My experience has been otherwise.
You can find some good ones, and some not so good ones. That’s the thing with Gibson. A high degree of variability in both build quality and sound. Furch is very consistent on both in comparison. On 2 different ends of the spectrum really.

Having said this, I do agree with the assertion that desired tone should be front and center. If it is Gibson tone one is looking for then go there and sift through the pile for a good one. If it is Furch order it sight unseen and enjoy. You will not have a problem.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
You can find some good ones, and some not so good ones. That’s the thing with Gibson. A high degree of variability in both build quality and sound. Furch is very consistent on both in comparison. On 2 different ends of the spectrum really.

Having said this, I do agree with the assertion that desired tone should be front and center. If it is Gibson tone one is looking for then go there and sift through the pile for a good one. If it is Furch order it sight unseen and enjoy. You will not have a problem.
Current Gibsons, say from 2010 on, are very consistent both in build and tone. There may be some cosmetic imperfections, like extra glue visible where it should not, or imperfectly slotted nuts, but yet it is not often and after one strum one forgets about these imperfections, enjoying the tone.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
If you find one of the Good Gibson’s, it’s a beautiful experience. Same goes for Furch, but from my experience, Furch are more consistent from guitar to guitar, and you are more likely to get a “Good” One. In fact I never played a Furch dud. But I have played several Gibson’s that were duds. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it

This. Can’t say it any better.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 05-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Current Gibsons, say from 2010 on, are very consistent both in build and tone. There may be some cosmetic imperfections, like extra glue visible where it should not, or imperfectly slotted nuts, but yet it is not often and after one strum one forgets about these imperfections, enjoying the tone.
I’ll accept your knowledge of 2010 being a demarcation point of some sort in terms of sound consistency. I wasn’t aware of this. I can only speak of my experience with many of them in stores over the last 5 years or so. I have personally seen a lot of variability in the sound, and certainly build.

Again, having said this, perfect Gibsons exist. I have seen them and was tempted. I just wasn’t ready to lay out the money at the time when I had come across the really nice examples.

For anyone who has to own a Gibson, I say do it. They have their own place in the guitar world for sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I’ll accept your knowledge of 2010 being a demarcation point of some sort in terms of sound consistency. I wasn’t aware of this. I can only speak of my experience with many of them in stores over the last 5 years or so. I have personally seen a lot of variability in the sound, and certainly build.
I'm not an expert on acoustic Gibson guitars, I own J-45 Standard 2015 and played several J-45 Standard, J-45 TV, J-35, J-15, LG-2 American Eagle, Hummingbird and J-200 in the shops, all were past 2010 and all sounded and looked good. But that's about it.
I do not think I have enough experience to set a 'demarcation point' -- there are people on AGF and the Gibson forum who have much more knowledge than myself. I was just telling my own opinion.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not an expert on acoustic Gibson guitars, I own J-45 Standard 2015 and played several J-45 Standard, J-45 TV, J-35, J-15, LG-2 American Eagle, Hummingbird and J-200 in the shops, all were past 2010 and all sounded and looked good. But that's about it.
I do not think I have enough experience to set a 'demarcation point' -- there are people on AGF and the Gibson forum who have much more knowledge than myself. I was just telling my own opinion.
If I was to buy a Gibson it would be a J45 Standard. Something about em’.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion