The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Could you say it's a "satin" or "matte" finish vs "gloss"?

"Chalky" denotes to my mind a "feel" I wouldn't want to experience on a fretboard. Hard to move about, pulls on fingertips, etc.
I agree. It’s matte rather than gloss. ‘Chalky’ is not a word I’d use. Depending on the light, you could say it has a slight sheen to it, but that just further highlights the chameleon-like nature of these instruments.

I know I griped a little earlier about Emerald’s studio shots, but after trying to take some representative pictures yesterday for this thread, I’m reminded how difficult these things are to photograph. At least the studio shots are consistent across all the instruments!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Could you say it's a "satin" or "matte" finish vs "gloss"?

"Chalky" denotes to my mind a "feel" I wouldn't want to experience on a fretboard. Hard to move about, pulls on fingertips, etc.

At least these photos, IMO, simply don't look "chalky", as I understand "chalky". Just wondering if this word is the best word to describe the fretboard look and texture.

I know many prefer satin or matte for necks because it's easier for the hand to glide and move about.
I completely agree with this post. Having access to both versions of the fretboard, the old style is simply gloss black. The newer version has some texture to it and in Emerald's photo's (which have a lot of light) makes the new version look sort of grayish. Chalky is not the word I would use to describe it either. When it comes to playability I don't notice anything unusual. While there might be subtle differences I don't think they're worth dwelling over.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Guest 928

"Chalky" may not be the best word having both visual and tactile meaning. Maybe "hazy" is better, or "vague." It is not as pronounced, not as clear, not as striking as the solid black.

The coloration does not seem to have anything to do with playability, but it is an aesthetic consideration.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
"Chalky" may not be the best word having both visual and tactile meaning. Maybe "hazy" is better, or "vague." It is not as pronounced, not as clear, not as striking as the solid black.

The coloration does not seem to have anything to do with playability, but it is an aesthetic consideration.
Thank you, Evan. Spot on - I was actually typing almost the exact same response as you posted this.

And having seen the gist of most answers here ... this particular "aesthetic consideration" is giving me pause ...
Old 05-25-2020, 10:44 AM

I suggest matte versus glossy to describe the new surface. Some background might be useful.

Last year a member here bought a custom woody X20 that had some low spots in the gloss fret board, and that really bothered him (along with some other cosmetic issues). Eventually that guitar went back to Emerald and was replaced with a new guitar, IIRC. Shortly thereafter the cast epoxy (?) gloss fret board was changed to a unidirectional CF veneer which has a fine grained matte surface, as shown in eatswodo's photos. My suggestion is that if you still have concerns, send Simon an email and start a dialogue. Then if you ultimately choose another brand, you made an informed decision that fits your priorities.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I suggest matte versus glossy to describe the new surface. Some background might be useful.

Last year a member here bought a custom woody X20 that had some low spots in the gloss fret board, and that really bothered him (along with some other cosmetic issues). Eventually that guitar went back to Emerald and was replaced with a new guitar, IIRC. Shortly thereafter the cast epoxy (?) gloss fret board was changed to a unidirectional CF veneer which has a fine grained matte surface, as shown in eatswodo's photos. My suggestion is that if you still have concerns, send Simon an email and start a dialogue. Then if you ultimately choose another brand, you made an informed decision that fits your priorities.
I should also note that when I was in the processing of ordering my X20-7 last year, the new fretboard style was being phased in. I enquired (in early July) about getting the old style, and was told that it was no longer available.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
... My suggestion is that if you still have concerns, send Simon an email and start a dialogue. Then if you ultimately choose another brand, you made an informed decision that fits your priorities.
That may be a good idea since Emerald can probably still provide the old glossy fret board as a custom option.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
That may be a good idea since Emerald can probably still provide the old glossy fret board as a custom option.
I'm here if you need any info or some more photos (non studio shots)��
Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

This reminds me a bit of the discussion when Taylor first introduced the "streaked" (my emphasis) ebony fretboards. Bob Taylor was appalled with the waste of ebony that was tossed aside because it wasn't solid black. Since Taylor controls much of the ebony market that guitar manufacturers use, they either got to use to the streaked or could dye it solid black. It was a change in responsible sustainability - the streaks were simply cosmetic. Turns out, it was good for the industry.

I'm thinking that Emerald made a change to make their guitars even more consistent. I don't see that it changes the visual appeal of these guitars in any way, but we each get to vote with our dollars.

It would be a shame to pass on a great guitar because of the way the light on the fretboard photographs from a particular angle in strong light. Look at the recent Emerald in-stock videos (X7 and X20) to see them in more typical light.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the replies - much appreciated.

Earl, that sounds like good advice.

~ Paul
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
And having seen the gist of most answers here ... this particular "aesthetic consideration" is giving me pause ...
I wouldn't let the fretboard stop you from buying an Emerald. There's nothing wrong with it. Having both styles I can't tell you with absolute certainty which one I prefer over the other.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber